“Count On It” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
West Coast, CAnada
“Count On It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Love the chowder and the shrimp dishes are favorites too. The food is consistent, service average and you know what you are going to get.

Visited December 2013

Rapid City, South Dakota
“Great Halibut”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Some of the best fish and chips of the trip.
I never miss and Ivar's when I visit Washington.
The food is always good.

Visited May 2013
Bellingham, Washington
“so-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Ivar's is always busy at Bellis Fair, so I finally gave in and stopped by for lunch. The white clam chowder is pretty good. I enjoyed it very much. However, the fish n chips I ordered weren't as pleasant. The fish was dry, and it had that frozen seafood taste to it. The fries were ok, but I asked for crispy fries and they fell short. I would still drop by for some soup, but for anything else, I'd go elsewhere.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Red Deer, Canada
“Good for in a mall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

You know, I haven't seen many seafood places in malls so I decided to give this place a try. I had the Alaska Paddock and it was pretty good. It tasted the same as what I was expecting. I don't see why people are complaining about this place, but yet again, this was my first time eating at Ivar's. I enjoyed my experience, but one minor thing that I would say they could improve on is faster service and bigger plates.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
North Vancouver, Canada
“OK, so what happened here?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I remember Ivar's as a real treat on the pier in Seattle. I also -- though admittedly years ago -- visited Ivar's in Bellis Fair while shopping and don't have memories of bad meals there. I have no idea what's changed, and I know it's just fast food, but I can honestly say that I had a truly pathetic meal when I happened upon it while shopping this week. I wouldn't call it awful only because I didn't get sick. But it was so bad I had to check the sign to make sure I was in the right place.

The red clam chowder tasted like it came right out of a can. The fries were a non-descript texture. The "original recipe" fish was like frozen fish sticks in texture, consistency, as well as coating. Plus any chance of a flavour was not going to happen. I just kept adding salt, pepper, lemon, vinegar, ketchup -- whatever I could lay my hands on -- then gave up and decided to just replace the meal in my mind with the self-talk, "don't be ungrateful/people are starving in the world"...and go home.

The counter servers were really nice but gave me incorrect info when I ordered. I'm sad to see this happen to an old favourite.

• Visited May 2012