“Tasty small plates” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Calif
“Tasty small plates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This small, somewhat quirky place had already been reviewed as having a talented cook/chef, so I checked it out last week during my one night jaunt up to Bellingham.
I copied a fellow bar guest, and ordered the goat cheese-stuffed, bacon-wrapped date bites, sitting atop a delish balsamic reduction, as well as the thickly sliced smoked salmon, served with seeded crackers, dill dip and a bit of dressed arugula.
Fearing I might still be hungry, I then ordered the polenta with wild mushrooms, which was unusually creamy, and though a bit salty, very tasty indeed. (I have been unable to obtain that level of creaminess when I have occasionally made polenta myself).
I took a piece of chocolate pecan pie to go, which turned out to be only average; perhaps because it was not as sweet as the usual recipe. Then again, I'm a master baker, so don't take my word for it.
The two servers I encountered were briskly efficient and friendly.
Overall, I believe this place is really worth a visit.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bellingham, Washington
“Cool, casual, creative concept!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

While it is smaller and a bit less crowded than its well-known neighbor, Bayou on Bay, this place is at least as good, if not better, for a casual drink, conversation, and gourmet eats in small, well-done doses. What they do, they do exceptionally well: craft cocktails, small plate bread/cheese, sandwich specials, desserts. We sampled several and found everything to be better than its description. Service was fast, professional. Outdoor seating for those who want to see and be seen, indoors is intimate, cozy. Perfect for couples or small groups.

Visited August 2013
Bellingham
“Best Happy Hour in Bellingham”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Temple Bar has the best happy hour, in my opinion. My mom and I go here for happy hour and we share the cheese plate with a bottle of wine. It's an excellent value! Temple Bar is very relaxed and has indoor and outdoor seating and is in a great location downtown. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
North Liberty, Iowa
“Great light lunch, cool vibe!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stopped in for a light lunch and found it very enjoyable. Staff was quite personable, particularly the bartender/waiter. The food is primarily charcuterie, meats, cheeses, olives, cornichons, and fresh baguettes. The prix fixe lunch is a very good deal. We had the Panino No. 2, wth serrano ham, portobello mushroom, and oozing with Taleggio cheese. We also had the Everything plate; again the ingredients were top notch. The site itself is kind of funky, with old oak school desks and other old tables. This is a nice stop for a quick bite!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“A small Gem in Bellingham”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Both of us wanted a very light dinner - and stumbled upon this little gem. For under $25 we were able to have two glasses of wine, and dinner! They offer $10 for a bottle of wine and cheese platter during their happy hour; but we opted for a Prawn Salad and a Panino. Both were incredibly delicious. The decor was, umm, different. High ceilings, pink; but very relaxed. People that worked there were upbeat and extremely helpful.

• Visited May 2013