“Living in the Past” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
washington state
“Living in the Past”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stopped in this restaurant to get a take out order. I picked up a menu from the top of a stack of menus and noticed that it appeared to be really old as it was literally falling apart and was not that clean. I almost left at that point but the restaurant itself looked clean so I decided to give it a try. The young man was very friendly and helpful when I asked about the difference between the tikka masala and korma dish. While I was waiting for my food, I took the opportunity to look at a newspaper article and at numerous plaques on the wall. The article was very favorable but was from January 1997! The plaques reflected that the restaurant had been voted a "Best of" award numerous consecutive years but the dates went from 2002 to 2008. I also noted that there was only one table of two eating. To be fair, it was a Wednesday and only 5pm so that would help explain the lack of customers.

I had ordered chicken tandoori, lamb korma, and naan. The tandoori was really disappointing. The meat was not at all tender and it was bland. The naan was just ok. The korma was the one redeeming feature - the meat was tender and the dish was spiced perfectly. I do wish they had been a bit more generous with the lamb though, especially as this order ended up costing over $30.00.

This restaurant seems to be a once popular place that has been sliding downhill. I would order the lamb korma again and perhaps try another dish like the tiki masala but I don't feel a strong urge to go back. I think this owner needs to at least invest in some new menus and get rid of the 1997 news article (they keep a stack of these near the menu). Also, they should not let tough, bland chicken leave their kitchen. They are sadly living off of past glories, the most recent being 5 years ago. They need to figure out how to consistently produce high quality dishes so that their customers will once again vote them "Best of".

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

40% Recommend
Bellingham, Washington, United States
“Great saag paneer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I can't believe the vicious reviews. I have been going to this restaurant for years. The quality is always excellent. Regarding the buffet, it's always better to show up early on when the selections are just put out.

The chili sauce they make is their own and quite delicious and fresh. They also always have delicious raita and rice pudding. The owners and their family are the service and they are always courteous and lovely.

The best way to enjoy the restaurant is to order from the menu, of course. There is a huge variety. I have never found anything I didn't like.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mission, Bc
“Worst Indian food I've had”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I should have checked trip advisor first, but this place was the closest to where we were. We went for lunch and decided on the buffet with an order of vegetable pakora. There weren't a lot of options and the food was luke warm. There were only two naan pieces left. The rice was so-so, but there were some pieces that were dried out. The mixed vegetables were ok and the dhal and spinach / chana masala dish were so-so. I waited for 5-10 minutes for some more naan to come out, and when it did it was like they opened a bag from the day old section at the grocery store and dumped it into the container. It was cold, doughy, and had no flavour, and there was only 5 or 6 1/4 pieces and 5 people waiting for it. The pakora was barely warm, even though we ordered it fresh and had no flavour. Service was mediocre, and when the waiter asked how the food was I said I've had a lot better and he just smiled and said yeah I know...
I will stick to the places that I know, or places that have more good reviews than bad.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Rome, Italy
“Bland, boring, no color, not fresh...save your money and seek elsewhere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

While I've been to northern India as a volunteer, I am no expert on Indian food. However, I have eaten at dozens of Indian establishments in the U.S. and this is probably one of the worst places, if not THE worst. The food has no color, no flavor. Bland. The buffet was approximately 5-6 items which 2-3 of the items were variations of the same thing (watery lentils, watery lentil soup-like curry, watery soupy lentils and potatoes etc..). Save your money, better off eating tacos, or anything else.
The owner was not friendly and seemed completely jaded about customers as if they were just walking pocket books (note the restaurant was empty, and now I know why).
Avoid this place if you want anything fresh, colorful or anything flavorful...

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bremerton, Washington
“Tasty Indian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We were surprised to find the India Grill at the food court of the Bellis Fair mall. There seemed to be a fair amount of vegetarian and non-veg choices. We ate during the opera movie intermission.
Although a typical lunchtime Indian buffet might have more choices, this meal was completely satisfactory. Portions were large enough that we couldn't finish everything. Then just this week we found the India Grill at the local Fairhaven Farner's Market. It looked great, too. I've been to India six times and love Indian Vegetarian food.

• Visited June 2012