“Nice, but a little dark?” 4 of 5 stars

Save up to 20%
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Bellingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Portland, Oregon
“Nice, but a little dark?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is the second time we've stayed at this property. The desk staff is VERY helpful, and the breakfast, for one of those "included breakfasts" is very complete and satisfying, although the plates that are provided are refrigerated(!!), cooling whatever you get from the hot table before you can get to your seat.

As I said, we've stayed here twice because it is a handy place for our business in Bellingham. On BOTH trips we've noted that the hotel's attempt to limit electricity useage to low-wattage bulbs nas made both or rooms dark and "cave-like" even though they have been otherwise pleasant. Our first trip had us in a top floor (lots of windows but NO elevator!) room, but once the sun got lower, we were really in the dark. Our second visit, yesterday, on the ground floor, was even dimmer. The one window was adequate for the bright day (this IS almost August), but the low-power interior lights are not adequate...especially for reading.

Otherwise the staff is friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean and well-kept. There ARE NO LIFTS, so if you have other than a ground floor room, be prepared to lug luggage up stairs, sometimes LOTS of stairs.

Breakfast was one of the best we've had at such places, though the places are cold...refrigerated(?)...so whatever food you put on them is instantly chilled, even if it is eggs or sausage! Lots of choices, though....including lots of "healthy" choices.

VERY comfortable beds! (We LIKE firm beds!)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tamara A, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Ladysmith- Thank you for your glowing review, I am so glad to hear that you and your husband were able to enjoy all of our wonderful amenities, our new plush beds and convenient location during your stay with us. I hope not only our hotel but our staff exceeded all of your expectations. We look forward do your next stay.

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night to catch a flight tomorrow morning. I needed just a clean bed, nothing special. Even though I stayed in a Non smoking room and the room was clean, it smelled so bad. ;((( I would never recommend.

• Stayed July 2013
Tamara A, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Enjoytripp- Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent experience at our hotel. I am so sorry to hear that there was an odor in your room. We take all reviews seriously and would appreciate the opportunity to fix the problem. I would personally like to invite you back to stay with us again the next time you are in Bellingham, and give us the opportunity to earn back your business. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will personally handle your reservation.

Taddis@BestWesternPlusHeritageInn.com
P. 360-647-1912 ext. 140
Martinez, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed during the 4th of July week. And we found everything about this place exceptional. We had bought a package deal with Allegiant airlines from Oakland. Of course I had read the reviews here prior to booking I was able to call ahead and ask for a creek side room in building C and they gave us room 233 on the far end and it was perfect. I think I heard some noise in the up stairs bathroom one morning but other than that its a quiet room you can even look out your window and see the creek
The bed was high quality. Hang on here's my complaint. The pillows were to soft for my likening !
I would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone

• Stayed July 2013
hansolo5000- Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review about your recent stay with us at the Best Western Plus Heritage Inn. I am so glad we were able to meet all of your requests prior to arrival, and you were able to enjoy a creek side view of our little slice of Baker Creek. Our new plush beds are part of our recent small renovation and I am so happy to hear you found them comfortable, I am sorry that our pillows were to soft. I hope all of your expectations were exceeded during stay and we look forward to you next stay with us in Bellingham.

Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Despite the positive reviews I'd read before staying here I was a little surprised at how nice this property was when driving up to it for the first time. Though across the street from the Bellis Fair Mall & right next to the I-5 Freeway this motel has a resort like feel to it with lots of trees and flowers and even a creek running through it. Even the lobby was nice with a fireplace, friendly staff and pretty tasty cookies & coffee. Check in was fast & friendly, we asked for a Mexican restaurant suggestion (there is one right next door but it was closed for Independence Day) and the guy checking us in told us he would phone the restaurant to make sure they were open and then phone our room & give us directions. (The restaurant was Jalapeno's Downtown & it was great by the way!)

Our room was really nice, certainly much classier than a 2.5 star rating would leave one to believe. Though pretty tight, it was serviceable and has two really comfy queen size beds (they were nice enough that my wife checked to see who made them in the morning). The bathroom was also extremely nice and could easily have passed for one in a 4 star hotel (no bath tub though).

I had a love/hate with breakfast. I loved the fact that the coffee was really good and that the eating area was a large and pleasant room that could easily fit a relatively large crowd. I also loved having real plates & cutlery as opposed to eating on styrofoam and there were plenty of staff who kept the food topped up. None of my family was a huge fan of the hockey puck eggs and sausages and the typical waffle machine but there was definitely lots of variety.

I was pretty close to giving this property 5 stars but a couple things held me back:

1) The pool was out of order which broke my children's hearts. This was a particular bummer as we were staying on a hot a day in July and the pool area looked so inviting (I will post a photo). Everything looked fine too but we were told it was closed and there was a sing up at the gate. If you are planning a trip in the next while and this is important to you, you may want to call and make sure it's up and working again. I will say that they had a really nice hot tub in a glass enclosed room so you could still see out, this would probably be really nice in the Winter months. We used it but the jets were also out of order...

2) Our room had a stale smoke smell, surprising since it was a non-smoking room and we even had to sign a form promising not to smoke when we checked in. The front desk person did offer to move us but we were too tired. Not sure what that was about but we're not picky and my wife and kids noticed the smell as well as me.

Over all this was an extremely nice property and I would definitely stay again. I would even consider making a short vacation and basing ourselves here if the pool was working. Bellingham has a really attractive Downtown that's only a short drive away.

Room Tip: Our room was right next to the pool, it made for a nice view but might be loud when pool is in use.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tamara A, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
BlackberryBoy- Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful and detailed review regarding your recent stay with us at the Best Western Plus Heritage Inn. I am so pleased to hear that you found our location and picturesque setting on Baker Creek to your liking. We think we have the perfect location for travelers of all types. I am sorry to hear that our pool was out of service during your stay and that your room had a stale smokey smell, as mentioned we are an all non-smoking property and do our best to ensure guests don't smoke but sometimes people break the rules. It is also great to hear you enjoyed some of our tasty amenities both in the lobby and our breakfast room. We look forward to your next stay with us and we hope your next trip is just as positive and memorable.

Best Wishes,

Chilliwack, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Well as we seem to do annually, we stayed once again at this hotel. One thing I must say, the new beds are a lot more comfortable although climbing into them was interesting (they have stools available though). We always seem to enjoy our stay here and the new beds made the one negative from our last stay a positive. Looking forward to staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Chilli56- I am so glad to hear that you had a great stay and wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our new plush beds during your last stay with us, and that it turned a negative experience back into a positive one. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We recently spent 2 nights at this hotel while in Bellingham for a soccer tournament. The location is quite good if you're a shopper: essentially, it's right across the street from the Bellis Fair Mall. We could have gotten a cheaper room at a different hotel, but our group was, for the most part, staying here so we went with the flow. Our room was nice and clean and had a good TV, but the AC unit was super loud. The outdoor pool was a nice escape from the heat and was clean and tidy. The included continental breakfast was better than most, although they ran out of cutlery. Staff was helpful and courteous. A tad on the pricey side, but otherwise very adequate.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms appear to be quite close to the highway. Beware.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tamara A, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Gareth F. Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Best Western Plus Heritage Inn. I am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy some of our wonderful amenities, like our pool and our complimentary full hot breakfast! We do have a very unique and convenient location and I am pleased to hear it worked out for your team to stay during the fun filled soccer weekend. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed here overnight because my son was incoming on an 8am flight the next morning -- this appears to be a former townhouse or business park converted to motel / inn accommodation. It lends a 'funkiness' to the grounds and layout. Large trees and lush grounds override the fact that you are mere meters off I-5 NB.

Recently, I have taken up using this chain after a long absence and have been pleased -- this property was pleasing with a clean, comfortable room on ground level.

There is adequate amenities, including their included breakfast, good wifi, free coffee and tea - the real bonus is location: easy to I-5, easy to Bellis Fair Mall, and other shopping, and less than 10 minutes to BLI. There are restaurants and stores sharing the same frontage as this Best Western (I was not impressed with the Mexican restaurant across the parking lot - and would rate the food as 'mediocre').

The nightly rate was slightly higher than many of my recent Best Western stays, and I am guessing they are taking advantage of their attractive location. It's worth the extra $'s.
Parking is also a bit of an issue as the evening deepens -- and of course there will most likely be the BrightBoy from BC parking his Dodge Ram in a spot designed for a Honda Fit --- and the spots near the front entrance seem to be very popular.

Room Tip: There seemed to a lot of stairs and changes in elevation from the parking lot to entrances -- if you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Tamara A, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us, I would also like to say welcome back to Best Western! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our unique property location and layout surrounding picturesque Baker Creek. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed some of our wonderful amenities during your stay, including our full hot breakfast. I hope our staff and property exceeded your expectations during your stay. We look forward to your next trip to Bellingham.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn? Share your experiences!