“got the worst room in the hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Bellingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
“got the worst room in the hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Although the property was lovely and the breakfast great, we stayed in a room that had hardly light (room# 111, main building in the basement). Since the room was underground, it smelled moldy and the only small window in the room was on the sidewall and looked at a stair where guests walked up and down. We had to keep the blinds down to not have people look into our room. The curtains were not functioning and the toilet flush button came off every time we used it.
I have been booking our hotels through Tripadvisor and this hotel was listed #1. I'm sure that the other rooms in the hotel are great, we just ended up with the "dungeon". It was honestly the worst hotel room I stayed in (not talking about the beds and bathroom in general, but about the lack of light and the terrible smell). Our room was on the east side of the hallway, underground, the west side faces a creek and has great views. We stayed there for 2 nights and did not get much sleep because the hallway was very noisy. At 5 am on Sunday, 2 families with little kids were just running around, making noise. I mentioned our disappointment at check-out, and got a "I'm sorry". They should not rent out a room like that at all for $140 a night. Our son will go to WWU and we will visit him in Bellingham quite often. Not yet sure if we will return to that Best Western.

Room Tip: Try to get an upper level room. Definitely not #111 in the main building or any basement room!!!!! I...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tamara A, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for writing a review regarding your recent stay with us. All of your input is greatly appreciated. I am so sorry about the location of your room, we are aware that some of our rooms have view and location challenges that others do not, and I would like to personally invite you back for another stay with us and offer you the best room in the hotel.

We are in the beginning stages of some very exciting upgrades and changes to our property and I would love for you to have one of the first opportunities to come back and stay with us! Please feel free to contact me directly for any future reservations, we would appreciate the opportunity to earn your business.

P. (360) 647-1912

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

After reading the past few reviews, I felt the need to leave a positive comment about my stay during the Easter long weekend. I loved this quaint hotel!! I stayed in 'building C' in a King room. My room had nice décor, was very spacious, and I found it to be well equipped with such amenities as a Keurig coffee maker, mini fridge, sink, dishes & cutlery. The breakfast was well stocked with the usual hotel foods, and I was happily surprised to find blueberry waffle batter for the waffle machine :) ! The front desk staff was more than accommodating and very friendly. I will agree with the other reviews when they said that the doors are not sound-proof, I heard everything going on in the hallways outside my room, but other than that my stay was excellent and I have been recommending this hotel to everyone since.

It is in a great location if you love shopping, right across the street from Ross and Marshalls and a block away from the BellisFair mall. The freeway is right behind the hotel, but I was not bothered at all by road noise, and I am a very light sleeper (and yes, my room was on the freeway side).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review about your recent stay with us over the Easter holiday weekend. I am so happy to hear that you found our rooms, location and some of our new amenities to your liking. (Kuerig Coffee Maker and Blueberry Waffles)

I am also pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience with our staff as we all work very hard to ensure each of our guests has a positive and memorable stay with us. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Portland, Oregon, Usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Our 5 day/4 night stay started with pretty rude and unhelpful check in staff who said they couldn't find my reservation. They sent me on a wild goosechase to one of their guest computers to look up my reservation number but the computer wouldn't connect to the internet. When I came back to the desk, they said they had found it afterall but were not apologetic for not looking very hard the first time!
Poor fitness room equipment.
Average restaurant
Location right next to freeway

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay and experience at our hotel. I would like to me extend my apologies regarding your experience at check in,and reassure you that how your check in was handled is not our standard procedure.Your particular circumstance has been brought to the attention of all of our front desk staff as a learning opportunity of what not to do and I thank you for bringing it to our attention.

We are in the beginning stages of some very exciting upgrades and changes throughout the entire hotel and I would personally like to invite you back for another stay with us and hopefully have the opportunity to earn your business. My direct contact information is listed below.

P. (360) 647-1912 ext 140
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night. Usually we stay in Hampton Inn & Suites, Hyatt's budget properties, or Residence Inns when we have our kids with us. We hadn't stayed at a Best Western before but I had high expectations for this hotel due to the positive reviews on tripadvisor.

The hotel lobby is situated in the parking lot of a busy strip mall. Inside the lobby it is very attractive and modern and the staff was efficient and friendly. The stairs up to the top floor of our separate building needed a good vacuum. The door going into the building is very noisy when opening and closing. Inside our queen room, I found the room quite small and dark and quickly put all the lights on. The window is set away from the room down a small passage which contains the small fridge, coffee/tea maker and the closet. Otherwise it was neat and clean with modern furnishings. The bathroom is nice and modern and a good size, but there were several hairs on the floor and around the bathtub, which puts me off right away. The bed was a little too soft but otherwise ok. The door to our room had a large gap at the bottom so light shone through from the hallway. You could hear whenever someone came in or out the building (our room was next to the exterior door). The thing that surprised me was being woken up at 5am by a neighbouring room's alarm clock! After that I could hear their hairdryer, and when they left the building with the noisy door. I didn't go back to sleep after that. My husband tried to make coffee in the room but there was no creamer or sugar supplied.

The staff was friendly. Breakfast was mediocre but the staff was attentive. We liked that we could borrow a dvd to watch in the room (our room had a dvd player). We also liked that we were able to walk to Bellis Fair Mall.

We wouldn't stay here again. Our rate was not cheap at $ 119 for two people.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tamara A, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that for you first stay at a Best Western branded property, we didn't meet and exceed all of your expectations. We appreciate feedback from all of our guests be it good or bad, we are always striving to make each guests experience a positive one.

We are in the beginning stages of some very exciting upgrades and changes to our hotel and the guest rooms in particular, and we would love the opportunity to earn your business. Please feel free to reach out to me directly the next trip you have to Bellingham, WA.

P. (360) 647-1912 ext. 140
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Having sampled most of Bellingham's chain properties and a couple of casino facilities, I always return to the Heritage. In short, they get it. Accommodating, obviously well-trained front desk staff. Generously sized rooms, well appointed. Hard to believe that one could tuck a hotel between the I-5 and a large mall and have a small town, rustic feel, but they've creatively and cleverly done it. Look no further.

Room Tip: Their sleep and fly package for those departing from BLI is not well marketed but is the best in the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your stay our staff and hotel.. We appreciate that you take notice of all of the details from our excellent staff to our convenient location. Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Kamloops
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed here Feb. 24 and 25. Had a room around the corner from front desk facing stream. Breakfast room was just across the lot from our room. Found everything....bed, bathroom breakfast room to be unbelievably clean. One of the most comfortable bed we slept in in a long time. Staff was extremely professional at check in and out. Loved the breakfast lady...very friendly and outgoing, and where do you go for free breakfast that has REAL dishes and cutlery not plastic....not very many, but here I think her name was Nancy even cleared our table between refills of food. Also found the afternoon cookies in lobby a nice touch. Price was not too bad...paid 98 on a AAA rate. Was very quiet. Would stay again on another shopping junket.

Room Tip: Get a room at back facing the stream. Probably a lot quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tamara A, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on our hotel and your stay. And a big thank you for the "Top Notch" statement. We all work very hard to ensure each of our guests has a "Top Notch" stay. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn? Share your experiences!