“Good, but Nothing Special” 3 of 5 stars

Bay City Motor Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   116 North Samish Way, Bellingham, WA 98225   |
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Bellingham
Seattle, Washington
“Good, but Nothing Special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Availability and good prices brought us to this hotel for a one-night stay. We had made a reservation in advance, and when we arrived a little early, the room was already ready for us.

The hotel could benefit from some updates, but it was comfortable for one night, and what I would expect from a similar hotel. The room had two beds, a TV, a small table with 2 chairs, a telephone, bathroom, and mini fridge. It was kept clean, though the toilet seat could probably afford to be replaced, and there were a few stains/holes on the sheets. My main complaint was that the door to the room was not a tight fit, which allowed a considerable amount of hallway light to seep into the room.

This hotel serves a free continental breakfast from 7-10 AM in the lobby. On the menu were danishes, bagels, toast, cereal, fruit, doughnuts, and coffee, juice, or milk. The staff was friendly and kept the breakfast station well-stocked.

If you need a place to stay at for a few days in Bellingham, Bay City Motor Inn is not a bad choice, it's just not above what one would expect.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I agree with the other reviews that the staff here were great! I initially booked for one night and extended another night twice while I was waiting for a package to arrive. They were happy to keep me in the same room and matched the price that I had found online. The hotel was nothing special and a little outdated but clean and I felt comfortable there. There was a fridge in the room for me to keep the stuff out of my cooler.

I never went down for breakfast so I can't comment on that and the lobby itself is nothing to speak of. Location was good. Pretty close to a couple of shops and a large grocer.

The only thing that was a bit odd was that there seemed to be a lot of underprivileged people around and the reviews for the hotel next door mentioned that it may be used as a housing unit for people on assistance. This is possible but I never had any problems. Everyone I encountered was nice and I stayed for 3 nights without an issue.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Graham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I have stayed here twice now, as my son is attending Western Washington University. Super easy access to campus! We could almost walk to his dorm from here. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Also very honest, which is important these days! After checking out, while cleaning our room, they found a wallet under the bed and immediately called us. ID, Credit Card and Money were all in there. That is a HUGE plus in my book. It did not actually belong to any of us, but I was glad to see they were making an effort to find the owner.
I will definitely stay there again!
Thanks Bay City Motor Inn!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Gibsons, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I'd say the best thing about this place was the Front Desk People... they were very nice....
We showed up on the weekend when all the University Kids are heading back to University so ALL the hotels, but the Bay City Motor Inn were booked full with Parents. We had a room in the basement, very old - needs an update, wi fi didnt work, the bed was ROCK hard, and I think I could hear the person peeing upstairs! Lots of weird sounds. I will ensure that I always reserve a hotel before coming to Bellingham again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The bedding was dirty. The sheets and pillow cases looked like have not been changed. Very poor complementary breakfast if you want, and you have to sit by the coffee table to eat. I will never stay this motel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Needed a place to stay after day hiking at Mt. Baker. This place showed up on TA and the reviews were positive. The wife and I found the room clean, AC worked great, the shower had exceptional pressure, and the jacuzzi was nice for the sore muscles. The king bed was adequate, ( we have a superior one at home) and I would stay there again. BTW the continental breakfast was spare, did not bother as there are lots of great places to breakfast in Bellingham...

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Our king size bed was firm, the bathroom spotless, and the carpet had recently been vacuumed and felt soft on the feet. Room includes small table and chairs, two dressers and small fridge. Hair dryer, soap and shampoo packets in the bathroom area. They fixed the security problem and close the end of hall doors at 10 pm for the night. People must go through lobby. Overall nice clean room and we would stay here again! Oh, and they provide a sparse continental breakfast.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family