“I don't like deep dish.. at least I thought I didn't” 4 of 5 stars

1015 Harris Ave, Bellingham, WA 98225
Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 389 Restaurants in Bellingham
Bellingham, Washington
“I don't like deep dish.. at least I thought I didn't”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I'm a thin crust person. My wife, deep dish. It was her birthday and for some reason she wanted a pizza and she wanted a deep dish from here.
Wow, was I wrong. Or perhaps I've never had a well made deep dish pie. I don't know but is was great. And I want another.
I can best describe it as more of a lasagna made with thick sour dough bread instead of pasta. But It did not seem as if I was eating nothing but bread. The sauce was really good as were all the other ingredients.
I'll be back for another one of these!

Visited June 2014

“Prebaked pizza crust?!?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I am a crust connoisseur. I had the Detroit pizza for lunch on my first trip to Fat Pie Pizza, and it was amazing! Fresh, light and fluffy goodness. Yes, I had sticker shock, but the crust was THAT good. HOWEVER, on my second visit for dinner a couple weeks later, the Detroit pizza I ordered was NOT the same. It was like a stale, dense focaccia bread. I found out they are par baking the crust. ARE YOU SERIOUS? I'm paying a premium for previously baked crust? Not again. I can do better in my own oven.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
USA
“really quite good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We have been waiting for Fat Pie to open - it apparently took awhile. I like Chicago Style pizza and find Bellingham has a shortage of places serving it. As this was our first visit we did the lunch slice deal with a side salad - a Detroit for my wife and a Chicago style for me. We will go again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bellingham, Washington
“Good food, Happy happy hour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stopped in to Fat Pie to try the Detroit Style Pizza. My husband is from Detroit, and he does take issue with places that call mini-burgers "sliders." I was anticipating a possible list of why the pizza wasn't Detroit style. Fortunately, he said they nailed the Detroit style pizza. He was pleased with the crispy cheese on the edges of the pizza, as this is very important to the Detroit style per him. We enjoyed a nice evening. The staff were quick and friendly. Lastly, I was happy with the heavy pour from the bartender. Frequently I feel that I would rather not order a drink while out as you rarely get a good mixed drink for the price. Not here!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Camano Island, Washington
“Not East of the Rockies”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

When we (my spouse and I) go to Bellingham, we usually take the opportunity to visit our favorite fish & chips place. Reading an ad paper there last time we learned about a new Chicago-style pizza place. This visit we got a take-out pie and drove home.

The counter persons were friendly and took the order for a large cheese Chicago-style with the request for extra sauce. I did ask if someone had gone to Chicago to learn how to make a true Chicago pizza. The response was that the owner had visited Chicago and returned and developed the Bellingham version of Chicago pizza. The pizza was hot and seemed appropriately heavy. The smell was spicy not like tomato.

The pizza looked good with crust that was much like a Geno’s East pizza. It reheated well in the microwave, and I’ve had a lot of reheated real Chicago pizza. The crust was bland, almost tasteless even when eaten by itself. The sauce had too much garlic and was spicy with a slight bite of heat, definitely not the sweet tomato flavor I was hoping for. The cheese was not stringy with little taste over the spice of the sauce. Definitely not the Chicago taste, maybe OK for those who haven’t had the real thing.

My spouse agrees, our favorite fish & chips place has nothing to worry about.

• 2 of 5 stars Food