“One excellent experience here” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Chat Noir (Black Cat)

No photo provided
Cuisines: American, Bistro, Fondue
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Blaine, WA
“One excellent experience here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Only had one chance to sample this lovely little restaurant, but it was a good experience. The food was very good and the service was even better. Very pleasant atmosphere and great view of Fairhaven. I'll be back. Wish they had lunch!

Visited August 2012

Bellingham, Washington
“worth the wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you expect to be in and out in a hurry this is not your place. However, if you don't mind the wait and want to enjoy amazing food with good company this is a terrific place to do it. Le Chat Noir or as we call it The Black Cat has an excellent menu. Everything I've tried I've not been disappointed. You can't go wrong with the sliders, fish tacos, or fondue w/bottle of wine combo. The also have some great local beers on tap which always adds to the fun. The actually space is older but sits nicely above the town of Fairhaven and looks out with a nice view of Bellingham Bay. Enjoy!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Deming, Washington
“Location and ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I live in Whatcom County and have gone to the Chat Noir maybe a billion times. It is best, in my view, at night...especially in the winter...when the trees are lit below and everything is frosty. I consider the fondue to be a signature item tho people seem to talk about the steak, which I've not had. The happy hour and view make it a 4 pm destination. And staff seems just fine. Service ranges from sufficient to exceptional. It's always a potential destination when our sons or family friends visit.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bellingham, Washington
“Poor Service!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I love the food and atmosphere and have dined here many times but the service is absolutely horrid! I feel like the girls actually ignore you just to be snobby and rude (yes I feel it is intentional). Sometimes I receive attentive service and other times it has been sub-par. I feel like the owner and managers consider this level of service to be acceptable! But this last time Friday March 1st was the last straw for me. Our waitress pretty much ignored us the whole time. We waited patiently for the check but had to be somewhere. Only after we stood up with our counts on in the middle of the now empty bar did we receive our bill. A party of 4 and separate checks, the server completely mixed up the the items on each bill not once but twice! By the second time I expressed some frustration only to be harshly barked at by the server "Ok! I'm fixing it!" Horrible experience and only the second time in my life I left no tip ( and I am a ridiculously good tipper). All said and done, she got $5 from a $100+ bill and she didn't even deserve that. I plan on never returning only because of the service.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Delicious Fondue! Loved the Character!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My adult daughter and I had a quick overnight getaway to Bellingham and this restaurant was recommended to us. We walked in without reservations (apparently they don't take any). Seated ourselves and had a nice booth by one of the windows.

The seating is on wooden benches with some cushioning for your back, but is not the most comfortable. But for us, the ambience made up for it. Low lighting, lots of unusual things to look at, street watching...

We were quickly waited on and right away ordered the cheese fondue appetizer. It arrived in good time and was more than ample for the two of us and we both found it very delicious. We had ordered our entrees just before the fondue came. We were having a good time and enjoying the fondue but then finally noticed that quite a bit of time (around 45 minutes to an hour) had passed and we hadn't received our entrees nor seen the waitress for quite some time.

The hostess happened by then and noticed we had not received our entrees. She went to check and came back apologetically and said they had somehow been missed and offered to rush our order. It was still about 15 minutes more, but it had to be cooked. I had the chicken with smoked gouda and pesto (very good!) and my daughter enjoyed her Panini as well. The entrees were on the house because of the mix-up, which was much appreciated. But despite the service error, we had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed our food and would definitely return.

• Visited February 2013