“perserverence with a smile” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bellingham GuestHouse Inn

You added Bellingham GuestHouse Inn to your Saves list
Bellingham GuestHouse Inn
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   805 Lakeway Drive, Bellingham, WA 98229 (Formerly Val-U Inn Motel)   |
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Bellingham
Friday Harbor, Washington, United States
“perserverence with a smile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I checked into the Guest House Inn with our dog, because we needed a place to stay before a medical procedure. The room had everything we needed, including microwave, coffe pot, fridge and clean and comfy room. We locked ourself out of the car the morning of the Dr. appointment, which was very stresssful, but the desk staff was very calming and called us a cab so we wouldn't be late. Later they came to the hospital and picked us all up, and the maintence man worked hard to get our car unlocked, which was above and beyond the call of duty. I will reccommend this Inn to my friends, and will be back to stay here again. Thank you Molly, Brianna, Trevor and Craig.You made a stressful weekend into one that was enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
bellinghammgmt, General Manager at Bellingham GuestHouse Inn, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. Thank you also for your kind words about the staff members that work so hard to make your stay enjoyable. I am glad to hear we achieved our goal of delivering a comfortable guest room with excellent customer service. There is no feeling that compares to that of a satsified guest. We look forward to serving you again, when your travels bring you back to the Bellingham area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We were here for the Bellingham Bay Marathon. We stayed here because the Best Western (one of the event sponsors) was full. Upon check in the couple in front of us asked for a late check out and the front desk staff told them flat out "NO" they said that because they had a number of Marathon people there that a late check out would overload the housekeeping staff. Really? They couldn't plan extra staff for this one day? It's not as if there was another event happening the next day. I would think that the management had plenty of time to plan ahead, or even set aside a few specific rooms for the marathoners who may want a shower after the race. As it was, I couldnt find a shower after the race.
The room was average, we did not use any of the amenities.
The staff at check in did not seem very accomodating, one youn lady was checking people in while another lady stood by watching her. Why she didn't open up the second check-in window is beyond me...she just stood there and told people "NO". I wasn't impressed AT ALL with her level of service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I apologize that your experience while staying at our hotel was not pleasing and that you encountered some problems with our guest service. We do allow reasonable late check-outs on a case by case basis. However, when the late check-out makes it impossible for us to rent the room for the following evening, there is an additional fee. I would love a chance to redeem ourselves and give you the experience you deserve. If your travels bring you to the Bellingham area, please contact me directly.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My tweenage daughter and i checked in to a groundfloor suite right on the parking lot. While there was a screen on it, the window lock was not working. I called front desk to say i wasnt comfortable and wanted to be moved. They sent us to the top floor to a much cleaner,quieter, safer feeling suite. The breakfast included waffle machines, plus precooked sausage, bacon, eggs (that you nuke to eat) muffins, bagels, yogurt, juice, apples, cereal. While not top quality, there was lots and certainly did the trick to get us rolling for a long day of back to school shopping. Staff were busy trying to keep up with the spills and messes of those with little regard for others so the area was reasonably clean. Bathrooms are tiny, but the sink and counter are outside of the toilet/bath area which sometimes works better in a shared situation - one can do hair and make up and teeth brushing while the other showers, etc. Wifi is a bonus.

Room Tip: 316 was a king bed that was in a quiet room. 115 was a lousy room - broken window lock, food stains...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
bellinghammgmt, Manager at Bellingham GuestHouse Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay! I am sorry that you felt unsafe but I am equally happy that we were able to move you and provide you the feeling of security you were seeking. I hope you and your "tweener" had fun shopping and please do stay with us again when you are in the area.

Thank you!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This hotel was amazing - excellent price, close proximity to stores/downtown. Fred Meyer is across the street which provided everything we needed. Breakfast was fabulous. Front desk staff rocked! Cannot say enough - would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! We do appreciate it very much! We try to provide a comfortable, quality stay for all of our guests and it sounds like we were able to provide this for you! Again, thank you for the kind words and we hope to have you with us next time you are in the area!

Thanks!
Olympia, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

The good news: this hotel is now 100% non-smoking. The bad news: We got one of the former smoking rooms on our recent 3-night stay. Seems they have been doing less upkeep on the smoking rooms. (Who can blame them?) The furnishings and bathroom fixtures were more beat-up than I expected, with cig burns in the carpet. A few years ago the hotel upgraded mattresses to nice, firm, comfortable ones. The mattress in room 320 is soft, broken-down feeling and uncomfortable. The room smelled strongly of air freshener when we arrived--when that wore off, you could smell the smoking-room smell.
For several years, this hotel has been a good bargain--not expensive but well kept-up. Now the prices are climbing, but the property upkeep seems to be going downhill, if our room is any indication. With prices heading up and experience down, this property is no longer feeling like a good value.

Room Tip: All 2-bed and king rooms are on the I-5 side of the hotel. The 1-queen rooms are on the quiet side o...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I also thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. It is our goal to provide a comfortable rest, a hot shower and a good breakfast for our guest. If we did not provide this to you, I apologize. Please know that we are always working on improving our facility as well as our Guest Services. I hope that the next time you are in Bellingham, you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations.

M. Howard
AGM Bellingham Guesthouse Inn
Olympia, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I checked into this hotel for a business trip where we all stayed in the same spot, so there wasn't any choice in the matter. Check in was quick,but the staff were not especially warm and welcoming. Also, beware - they actually photocopied my driver's license when I checked in. I didn't realize they were doing this (they asked for it but I didn't know they photocopied it until my collegue told me the next day). I can't imagine why this is necessary and it concerns me about opening myself up to identity theft.
I stayed two nights, and while I can tell that someone did attempt to clean up the room a little, the towels were not restocked, the bed wasn't made, and the coffee maker wasn't emptied. The wall-mounted hair dryer broke the first morning and when I called the front desk they told me that they didn't have a spare. It wasn't until I insisted that I needed a hair dryer that they offered to let me in to another room to use that room's hair dryer. Pretty inconvenient, but it worked. The next day there had been no repair to the hair dryer but I just didn't have the energy to pursue it.
There was a free breakfast, but it really was kind of yucky. I had to go get a different breakfast the second morning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
bellinghammgmt, General Manager at Bellingham GuestHouse Inn, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I apologize that your experience while staying at our hotel was not pleasing. To address some of your concerns, it is hotel policy to make a copy of a guests drivers license and credit card. That information is kept secure, and the reason for it, specifically is for your protection, as our guest, against credit card fraud and identity theft. As far as guest service, the housekeeping service, and hair dryer problem, I apologize, and wish you would give us another chance to serve you as these problems are rare and we normally deliver a wonderful guest experience. I would like to know what your exact issue was with the breakfast, as we receive many compliments of our FREE Expended Continental Breakfast, so if you wanted to contact me I would be interested in hearing your concerns. I would also love a chance to redeem ourselves and give you the experience you deserve on a return trip to the Bellingham area, so please feel free to contact me.
Victoria, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have a rally to go to at the end of July but we thought we'd come a few weeks earlier to scope out the hotel and the area so we could tell our friends what to expect.
We were very pleased with our stay and will definitely be staying there again when we return in a few weeks. Our room was facing the interstate but honestly, we could barely hear it through the sturdy windows and when we put the A/C on, we didn't notice it at all. Husband is very sensitive to noise and he slept very well.
Room and bathroom were very clean, the soaps they supply are surprisingly nice and there are all the usual amenities. They supply shampoo but no conditioner, so bring your own or nip over to Fred Meyer across the street.
The complimentary breakfast was more than what we expected and we really enjoyed it! (your mileage may vary, we don't travel a whole lot and we are easily impressed)
There was a do-it-yourself waffle bar, 4 kinds of dry cereals, fruit, muffins, breads, English muffins, bagels, yogurt, boiled eggs and a do--it-yourself breakfast sandwich with cheese, egg and sausage patties. Something for everyone, for sure.
By rights I should have given the Inn a 4 out of 5 because the hot tub wasn't working when we were there. It's ok though, we forgot our swimsuits but we could easily have gotten some at the Freds if need be.
The clerks were friendly and helpful with check in/out and for suggesting restaurants.
We are looking forward to our second visit and we signed up for their loyalty program as well.

Room Tip: If you are super sensitive you could ask to be on the side away from the interstate, but it didn'...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
bellinghammgmt, General Manager at Bellingham GuestHouse Inn, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, and thank you so very much for your kind words. I am glad to hear we achieved our goal of delivering a comfortable guest room with excellent customer service. I apologize about the Jacuzzi being out of order during your visit, unfortunately there was an issue with the pump, which has now been resolved. We all look forward to serving you on your next trip to Bellingham.

Damon Handley

Been to Bellingham GuestHouse Inn? Share your experiences!