“A super excellent hotel in many, many ways” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Bellingham
Washington
“A super excellent hotel in many, many ways”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

For me, staying at the spanking brand new SpringHill Suites in Bellingham was like sojourning in Heaven. I thoroughly enjoyed my brief stay there! Why?

It started with the front desk staff at check-in. Professional, courteous and efficient plus super friendly. Yes, I felt very welcome at this fine hotel which has a superb location very near the I-5 Corridor. And throughout my entire stay, the staff impressed me the most about the Springhill Suites.

I had to check in quite early, which seemed no problem at all. I got a very nice room on the 4th floor far from the really not too noisy elevators.

And WOW! What a room, eh... I should say SUITE: cozy living room with a huge flat screen TV with a zillion channels that came in crystal clear, (it was set atop two huge drawers), ample desk space with fantastic direct and indirect lighting along with a telephone, plenty of electric sockets, a comfortable sofa bed, handy table to place food or drink, make-your-own-coffee/tea stand, microwave oven, mini-fridge -- my or my! Next comes the very pleasant bedroom with two super comfortable and exquisite clean queen beds, end tables and lamps galore including individual adjustable reading lights, two large mirrors (one over a set of drawers), and a closet with luggage stand, iron and ironing board, and a wonderful view of Mt. Baker in the distance. The commode and a small sink with set off in their own room -- quite an intelligent choice, especially if more than one persons are sharing the room. The separate bathroom had a small tub with a nice shower, plus a large sink with oodles of super clean, fresh towels and plenty of soap, shampoo and hair conditioner.

On the first floor is an excellent work area, where I found two Internet computers along with a very nice laser printer in addition to all sorts of accessories such as a scissors, a stapler and zillions of ballpoint pens. I got a LOT of work done there -- my boss was very impressed! By the way, the hotel offers free WiFi throughout the entire place.

Also on the first floor is a wonderful gymasium with a nice variety of the very best (and brand new) workout equipment (Life Fitness) plus abundant towels and drinking fountain.

Across the the gym is an L-shaped heated swimming pool that ran three to five feet deep. Next to the pool was a glorious whirpool that I truly enjoyed. Plenty of fresh towels were on hand: simply help yourself, then deposit the used ones in a stainless steel bin.

Although I didn’t use the bar across from the front desk, I was thrilled to see very large and extremely clear photographs of Old Bellingham. Many folks there seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely.

And in the morning: BREAKFAST. I couldn’t wait! Fresh scrambled eggs, an assortment of cheeses, croissants, pound bread, fruit cake, various cut up fruits including humungous strawberries, yogurts, low fat milk, different kinds of coffee and teas -- all to die for! Plenty of copies of the USA Today newspaper, just help yourself. I didn’t want to leave the breakfast room!

I’d better stop here and, in closing, I wish to say that this hotel is truly a 5-star establishment. Above all, is the very caring and dedicated staff: they all deserve a raise. This goes especially for the two gentlemen who drove me to and from the hospital for an important medical procedure (colonoscopy) that I undertook there. Thank you all!

Room Tip: Stay on the FIFTH floor facing the EAST for a super view of the Cascade Mountains.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Keith C, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Bellingham, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
What a wonderful review - thank you so much for taking time to share such a detailed description of your time with us. It was an absolute pleasure to have you with us and I'm so happy my team took such great care of you. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

My husband and I fly to Bellingham every couple of years to catch the Alaskan Ferry to Skagway and have always stayed at one of the other well known chain hotels. This year we decided to try some place new. What a great decision that was as we chose the Springhill Suites by Marriott near the Bellingham airport. This hotel has recently been renovated and whoever designed it put a lot of thought into it as it covers everything. The rooms are spacious, beds are exceptionally comfortable, one bath has a shower and vanity and the other bath has the toilet and sink. There is a sitting room with a couch, a table, computer desk, microwave and refrig. They even put two plates, napkins and flatware in microwave for you to use. There are reading lights above each bed for those who want to stay up and read. The view from the back of the hotel is spectacular.
The bar and breakfast area are very modern. The breakfast was sufficient with hot and cold foods. The staff very friendly and helpful. I cannot say enough about this hotel and will definitely make this a regular stay while in Bellingham.

Room Tip: Chose a room facing the back for a mountain view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Keith C, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Bellingham, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you for sharing such a positive experience! I'm so delighted to see you had a great stay. We aren't actually renovated - but quite new and will be celebrating being 7 months old on the 19th!
Granite Falls, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Hotel is new and very modern. Easy check in and beautiful room. We loved the bathroom configuration and the view (top floor) of the Cascades (Mt. Baker). Breakfast was a bit hectic due to the crowds of families with children, but we took it in stride. Hotel clean, employees friendly and helpful, nice furnishings and design, and close to airport and shopping. We would stay here again if we are ever in need of a hotel in the area. Also, room very quiet. With the amount of people with children staying in the hotel we were shocked that it was so quiet in our room. Nicely done.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the easterly views from the top floor (5).
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you Gina Beth! We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back when your plans bring you to Bellingham. I have to agree with you on the room tip - not much better than waking up to the sunrise over Mount Baker in the morning!
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

This hotel was built within the last 6 months. Very modern looking, rooms were very comfortable, with a fridge/microwave combination. Had a desk, couch & seating area as well. The hotel had a pool/hot tub and workout room. Workout room had ~ 9 machines, treadmill/eliptical/bike. Had dinner there twice, and both meals were excellent. Menu items were different, creative. 5 minute shuttle ride to the airport. I would definitely stay there again, when I'm working in that area.

Room Tip: I always choose higher floors away from the elevator, to insure quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hi Julie and thank you for sharing your experience! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed the facilities and dinner in our Chuckanut Lobby Bar. Depending on your return date, you will see an expanded food and beverage offering with our outside patio with a fire wall as well as our 4th Floor Bakerview Terrace!
Abbotsford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed here this past weekend.

When we booked online we had asked for a quiet room. We have done this in the past with other hotels, but instructions were ignored. One of the first thing that the manager said when we got in was that he saw we needed a quiet room. He then explained the room choice he had for us and why. And he was bang on. The room was very quiet.

The bed was comfortable, as were the pillows. We bring pillows with us as most hotel pillows are crap. These were very nice. We spoke to someone else who normally brings their own pillows, but had forgotten and was concerned, but she said that she also found the pillows great.

The room was excellent. It certainly helps being new, but even so the way they are finished is very inviting. The couch is great and the work table is very functional.

The only downside was that as a suite we had expected to find some cutlery and glass glasses and plates. There are paper plates and plastic glasses in the microwave. Unfortunately there was no cork screw or wine glasses in the room. We had noted that when we went shopping and made sure that we purchased a screw top wine bottle. It has been a long time since I drank wine out of a plastic water cup. I am sure we could have gone down to the bar and had them open the bottle for us and even supply with wine glasses, but once back in the room, didn't feel like. Just a note for next time we visit. I know adding those types of items will simply increase the cost and the price was a bargain when factoring in the quality of the room, the services, and the buffet breakfast.

The buffet breakfast was very good. They had a number of selections of hot food as well as the standard cereals. There was fresh fruit, coffee, milk, and juice. On the Saturday we were down shortly after 8 and it wasn't that busy. On Sunday we didn't come down until around 9 and it was busier and they were running behind with some of the food. However, the staff were very pleasant and fresh food was brought out.

In fact all the of the staff that we had to deal with were very helpful and professional.

While we didn't use the pool or fitness center but they looked great.

The other nice thing is that this hotel is very easy to access from I5. It also has a Starbucks within walking distance!

This is definitely a hotel we plan on returning to.

Room Tip: If you want quiet get a room that faces the back of the hotel. It would also help to be on the top...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to share your experience! I have to agree with you on the plastic cups. These will be going away very shortly! Thanks again and please come see us again soon!
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I can't say enough good things about this property. Brand new, spacious suite rooms, funky 60s revival decor, had everything ready for us (feather free & PlayPen) when we got there. Such a difference from the shabby downtown Vancouver hotel we were at the night previous that cost us DOUBLE. If you are a civil servant, don't forget to look for the rate! They even honour it for Canadian civil servants (federal, provincial and Crown corporations!). I've been telling anyone and everyone that if they need to overnight in B'ham for any reason, that this is the place to do it.

Room Tip: Don't forget to ask for the government rate and to bring your ID (they ask for it).
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for being such a great ambassador for us, Traveler! We sincerely appreciate your business and your taking the time to share. See you soon!
Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We have stayed 1 night at this hotel during a quick shopping trip. It is easily the best hotel I've ever stayed in the chains such as Springhill suites, Residence Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites, etc. Here are my observations on the pros and cons:

* Pros
- Recently built so everything is nice, modern, clean
- Good size suite. Family with children will appreciate having the space.
- Staff are friendly just like those in hotels of similar chains
- Good value: free working wifi connection, free parking, adequate breakfast included
- Comfortable beds: their beds have very firm support (good for those who suffer from back pain like me) but the top is plush enough. I really appreciate that the hotel investors go with high quality mattresses. I used to avoid chains like springhill suites although those leisure/family hotels give better value than business ones (where you have to pay for wifi, expensive parking, overpriced breakfast, etc). It is because I have an impression that they usually use very low quality mattresses which is not the case for this hotel.
- Separate bathroom and toilet (ok, this is just me, others might not like this setting)
- Nice lobby with a bar.
- Good location near shopping mall, airport.

* Cons:
- Sliding doors for bathroom and toilet and these doors can't be locked: this can be a deal breaker for some. My toddler was able to open the door when I was in the toilet :( Similarly, if you are in the bathroom, anyone in the room can easily enter it if they want. You might not feel secured during your shower/bath.
- The bathroom and toilet are right in front of the bed. Lights and noise from those rooms can be very disturbing to people who sleep on the beds and also embarrassing to people who use the toilet. In fact, during the night, you can hear very loud flushing sound from the toilet. So if you are shy boyfriend/girlfriend going on a trip, this might be a big issue.
- Breakfast is slightly of low quality. However they do have waffle machine, hard boiled eggs, scramble eggs, sausages, milk, oatmeal, yoghurt, cheerios, bagels, muffins etc..

Overall I really like this hotel and would be back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you Emilie! I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! On your return, I encourage you to spend a few nights, as our breakfast changes every day - especially from weekday to weekend! We are also sympathetic to the bathroom doors and understand the 'barn doors' aren't for everyone. In just a few short months, we will have an entirely different (and connecting) hotel to offer with our TownePlace Suites, featuring full kitchens, separate bedrooms and a locking bathroom door! See you soon and thanks again!

Been to SpringHill Suites by Marriott Bellingham? Share your experiences!