“Home-style cooking and service” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #100 of 387 restaurants in Bellingham
Cuisines: American
Port Coquitlam, Canada
“Home-style cooking and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

After passing this place up for chain restaurants countless times, we finally stopped in for breakfast on our way south and glad we did. That the car park is always busy is a good sign but we were welcomed quickly and our waitress was equally prompt and friendly (good as we were on a tight schedule). The food arrived hot and with ample portions. I had the biscuits and gravy but only a single serve as the waitress suggested a two biscuit serve could be too much. Glad I listened as she was right. The home-made biscuits had good texture while the gravy was creamy and steaming. My wife enjoyed a more traditional ham steak and eggs and gave the thumbs up - even to the hash browns which she usually leaves off the order or doesn't eat. Not sure if they are seasoned or what, but the hash browns were a blend of crunch and soft with a slightly sweet tang. My daughter enjoyed a ham and cheese omelette and was equally positive. It was hot and large (too much for her to finish actually). We will certainly stop in to the Hilltop again and am interested in trying some of the more interesting non-breakfast menu items.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

58% Recommend
Chilliwack, Canada
“First Visit and Won't Be Our Last!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Simply ..... Amazing! Especially for a family, diner styled restaurant! Home cooked meals are most definitely as advertised! Food was fresh, tasty and well presented. My steak was cooked just as well if not better than any steakhouse I've eaten at. Large sized portions did not take away from quality whatsoever. Service was friendly, accurate and efficient. We are picky restaurant goers and will definitely be returning to Hilltop!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
vancouver,BC
“Excellent breakfast, super nice waitress”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Had to get my biscuits and gravy fix, so we went to the Hilltop from our campground. The bacon and eggs were perfectly cooked as I asked, and really good helping of Biscuits and gravy. The biscuits were nice and fluffy. My husband loved his meal too, as well as my son.
Our waitress was so nice, very friendly and efficient.
The only tiny complaint is that the coffee was a bit weak.
Would like to return one day, and try the crab cakes or one of the eggs benny varieties.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Seattle, Washington
“Rude and slow service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Went for breakfast and the wait for our food was over 30 minutes. We didn't order anything special, just a basic egg breakfast. By the time it came the food was cold and awful. My husband had coffee and was hot,but my water for "hot" tea was cold. Also, the owner who was also acting as host was rude. Go somewhere else.

Visited August 2012
Vancouver, BC
“Some years ago, I lost my way trying to drive west on Baker View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

it was then that quite by chance I drove by the Hilltop at it's old location. Later I bought my wife back there for their Prime Rib Dinner, it was really good, since then we've always gone there, off the beaten path if we wanted something better. Sunday July 14th, we decided to drive over to their new location for another visit. After going to IHOP and Denny's more time than I care to remember I'd recently come to realize they both of these chains use MSG on everything on their menu. I've never had their food tested but that cotton mouthed feeling I ended up with after dining at these places convinced me that there must be MSG in their food. I really wanted to see if the Hilltop did the same.

I'm very pleased to report that no, I didn't get dry mouth after dining there and neither did my wife, we'll be back again, bye bye Denny's and IHOP. Since it was a Sunday they served Dungeness Crab Cake Benedict and boy was it good! We asked for "well done" hash browns and theirs was perfectly done, crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside neither soggy nor hard as I've had too many times before. My wife's Country Fried Steak & Eggs breakfast was equally good, crispy and crunchy, not at all greasy and that Country Grave they served on the side was literally to die for. One minor gripe I had was that both our fresh strawberry garnishes were tired, dried out and definitely worse for the wear, whether this was due to their close proximity to sizzling hot food I can't say but in the condition they came in, they didn't belong on our platters.

As usual, service was competent and professional and it came with a welcome smile. I feel compelled to recommend the Hilltop today because we left feeling as though we both had just been served the best breakfast we've had in ages, for sure we'll be back again in due course.

• Visited July 2013