“A pleasant southwestern choice” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #32 of 389 Restaurants in Bellingham
Cuisines: Southwestern
Mount Vernon, Washington
“A pleasant southwestern choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife and I will make a trip to Bellingham when we want a little spicy hatch green chile southwestern experience. The locals keep this place hopping and folks like us will drive a half hour to get the real New Mexico dining options. Nothing fake about their menu or recipes. If you like hatch green or red chile, you will love Pepper Sisters. The help is very friendly. I love the pico de gallo they serve with chips.

If the weather is pleasant and wish to sit outside, request a table from the deck seating options in the back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
“Healthy Tex-Mex!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This place is in a great location, just off main downtown drag (walk-able if you already have a parking spot downtown) and with an outdoor dining patio featuring sunset bay views. Good sangria (I had the red); beer and wine only, so if you're hankering for a margarita, sorry--none here. If you are, however, looking for tasty, down-home, fresh & healthy Tex-Mex, you're in for a treat. Chips and salsa are free (instead of 3.50 per order) if you pay in cash, so consider hitting the cash machine in advance. Sopaipillas are excellent (fried bread with honey butter for dipping) as are red beans and slow-roasted pork dishes. The Del Fuego burrito is spicy but oh-so good. Friendly, laid back staff are quick to accommodate any requests. Also, as a plus, the outdoor patio has some great people watching of comings and goings in the alley below, as well as the benefit of live music from the venue next door that can be easily heard from outside. Indoor dining area very colorful and tastefully (warmly) decorated. Go!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Unique”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Pepper Sisters has always offered a different take on Southwestern cuisine, and you can't fault their vision, ingredients, presentation and menu . . . but the food lacks "umami." I've never had a dish that made me think, "this is so good I'm gonna come back and get it again." For all the color and seemingly carefully selected ingredients the food just seems a little bland. Still, it's a good place for real food made for people who are looking for something different and healthful. Recommended.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Blaine, Washington
“Not your usual southwest food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We decided to try Pepper Sisters for an early dinner on Sunday. We arrived shortly after 5:00 and there was only one other couple there. Within less than half an hour, the restaurant was almost full. All the menu items were unfamiliar to us and we had a hard time deciding what to try because most sounded interesting. The food was good although we both found the red sauce to be a little hot for our taste; the green sauce was much better. The posole was good but I found the beans to be a little spicy. Our server was attentive although not very friendly. I wished I had seen the specials listed on the board by the front door as I would like to have tried the sweet potato tacos which were on the specials but I did not see them on the menu and the server did not mention any specials. The sopapillas were good although not the best I have had. They probably would have been better if they had been hot, but, since they came out with our meal, they were cold by the time we ate them. We would go here again, just will be more careful with our menu choices.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bellingham, Washington
“My Favorite Restaurant in Bellingham for Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have enjoyed eating at Pepper Sisters for many years, and it is the first restaurant I think of when family or friends visit from out of town, or I want a celebration. The food and service is consistently good; I can honestly say I have never been disappointed. I love the colorful and playful décor and it always feels relaxed and friendly - good for families and dates and gatherings. When my husband and I got married, we brought 12 friends and family to eat there and, as usual, we were delighted with the food, service and atmosphere. I am a vegan and my husband is not, and both of us are always satisfied. I usually order off of the menu and my husband usually orders from the creative, interesting and ever-changing specials board.

• Visited October 2012