“Great Vibe, and Good Southwestern Food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #41 of 389 Restaurants in Bellingham
Cuisines: Southwestern
Tacoma, Washington
“Great Vibe, and Good Southwestern Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

If you are familiar with the cuisine of the American Southwest (i.e. New Mexico), and like it, the Pepper Sisters is the place for you! On the other hand, if you are looking for traditional Mexican food, you'll either enjoy a new experience, or be disappointed.
My dining companion lives in Bellingham, and regularly travels to the Southwest, so she regularly frequents this place. I'm kind of familiar with this style of cooking, and liked the fact that Pepper Sisters features organic ingredients, so I was easily convinced to dine there.
I tried a quasi-pizza dish, which was superb. It featured fresh roasted vegetables, a small amount of cheese, and non-greasy chorizo sausage on a very crisp flatbread kind of crust. It came with a very simple green salad with an excellently-blended oil and vinegar dressing. My companion went for her usual, the "Blue Plate Special", which included a blue corn tortilla chicken enchilada. Looked really good from my vantage point.
Service was breezy, funny, and friendly...and yet highly competent! It's a popular place, but we weren't made to feel at all rushed to turn over the table. (We didn't take advantage of their hospitality too much, though, as it would have been mean to deny the other hungry diners gathering in the foyer!)

Visited August 2012

Silverdale WA
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

When you go to a mexican restaurant, you expect the majority of the menu to be mexican food. This restaurant had their own unique twist on mexican flavors, but nothing immediately recognizable as anything I wanted to eat. Prices were not too high, but higher than the average mexican restaurant. Chips and salsa were pretty expensive. The food we did get (very few dishes with actual meat, you have to add chicken or pork to most menu items) was very good, but hominy as a side with a black bean burrito that I added chicken to? Really? Strange place...

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bellingham, Washington
“Fun and tasty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

A fun little local Tex-Mex restaurant with a fun staff. Their menu offers unique southwestern-style flavor combinations, like their zucchini, smoked mozzarella and chipotle sauce enchilada.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bellingham, Washington
“A unique twist on Mexican cuisine, but the service is lacking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Loved the food here. It's a unique twist on Mexican cuisine. Great flavors and unique choices. I loved the salad that came with my meal and the pork dish that I had was wonderful. Only complaint about the food was that the biscuits we got with the meal were cold when they arrived at the table. The service was also lacking. I went there on a Wednesday around 7 pm. They were not busy but it still took until 7:45 for us to get our food. There were only 2 of us and we were seated right away, but after we ordered we waited forever for our food to arrive and then it took the waitress another very long time to clear our plates and bring the check. I will go there again to try something else because the food was that yummy, but if the service is as slow I probably won't go back a third time.
I also really loved the atmosphere and decor. It's not your typical "tex-mex" decor that you typically see in Mexican restaurants. There were lots of vibrant colors and unique decorations that give it a upbeat feel.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bellingham, Washington, United States
“tex mex fusion?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

always good, and different. You can get great vegy cuisine, and the fry bread (that comes with your meal) is excellent.

Visited February 2012