“Pleasant evening” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Pleasant evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Had the chance to have dinner with my parents at the Cliff House. My father chose to sit outside not enjoy the wonderful ocean view. The staff was very polite and very helpful.
I must say though that the food was feast or famine. My Caesar salad had so so much cheese! It was like trying to eat a salt luck. My chicken and crab was incredibly under seasoned. Super bland. The fresh squeezed lemon aid was fantastic. For desert, I had Creme Brûlée. Wonderful! Magical. Made the whole trip worth it.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

53% Recommend
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great view, poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We booked an evening out to celebrate with family. The view from the restaurant can't be beat and we were lucky to have a window table. Despite the fact that we enjoyed our family gathering the service was really slow. It took ages for drinks to arrive and our waitress seemed completely stressed out, she acted as if she was waiting on every table in the place. The Samish starter plate was delicious and of course so was the whiskey soup but two of us ordered the lobster and it was completely overcooked and rubbery. I'm not a terribly picky eater but with the price of lobster you expect perfection!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Hidden gem in Bellingham!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I researched restaurants close to WWU because we didn't have a lot of time to drive all over and still make it to the concert at 7:30. My cousin recommended the Cliff House partly because of its proximity to the college, but more importantly because of their signature Whiskey Crab Soup! We chose it because of the proximity, but definitely had the Whiskey Crab Soup. WOW!!!! It's everything my cousin said----and more! The rest of our meal was fabulous as well. The fried oysters were so fresh & light and really tasty---best I've ever had. Fresh salad bar---pretty basic choices, but very fresh and well served.

However, even more importantly the staff was FABULOUS! We had made reservations for 5:30 so we could have time to relax from the drive up from Seattle and get to the concert on time. We left a teensy bit later than hoped for, and then encountered TRAFFIC as only I-5 can manage. We struggled through, but on the way up we phoned the restaurant to ask if we could move our reservation to 5:45. She said "no problem" with a smile in her voice. We actually arrived at 6:00 very apologetically and were still seated at a view table. We thanked our waitress profusely and then dropped the bomb that we needed to leave no later than 7 in order to find parking etc and make the concert. So ..... WE were late, and we had the temerity to ask THEM to hurry! Sheesh.

BUT ---- our waitress was absolutely fabulous. She cautioned us on what things would take some time to prepare, and then effectively kept us posted on progress, and we had a wonderful meal with a quick cocktail, live oyster sampler, and 2 orders of the soup in a bowl with salad bar and 2 orders of fried oysters with salad bar. It was an absolutely lovely evening with no stress and no worries.

We can't wait to go back when we have no timeline and just enjoy the menu & view.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Burlington, Washington
“Surprise at Sunset”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

After making reservations for dinner on July 5, 2013...I then read the negative reviews on this site..and wondered if we should proceed to the restaurant. we were celebrating a friends 95th
birthday....It was a beautiful view of Bellingham Bay and we were taken to a window table
for four. The food was good....the service was wonderful...Our server Kyla was very helpful, pleasant and knew how to interact with the patrons...It is pricey, but nice for a special occasion.
Our only complaint, it was noisy from all the conversations of patrons...
I would recommend this for a special treat.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Abbotsford
“disaster”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We knew that something was wrong when we enterd and were told that the dining room was full and that we could sit outside or at the bar (We had made reservations weeks before)We chose outside and had to sit on $10 plastic chairs. When drinks arrived we were asked if we would like to order but hadnt been given menus'. After our starter plates were removed were told that our meal would be right out - it arrived 25min. later. My steak looked great but was only warm. The baked potato was steaming but cold on the inside. The server took it away only to return 5 mins later to ask if I would like it re-heated! I declined and returned to the salad bar. Being designated driver I orderd ginger ale - it was flat and tasteless It didnt get any better the rest of the time we were there.
Have to admit, the sunset was spectacular.

• Visited June 2013