“Very good” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Mount Vernon, Wa
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

We have been here a few times and the food is pretty good. My favorite is the carne asada with the roasted jalapenos. The burritos are excellent. The service has always been good. I look forward to going back.

84% Recommend
blaine,wa
“Best Mexican food I have found!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

El Gitano is my favorite restaurant to eat at. Living in Whatcom County you are really limited on restaurants and this place never lets me down. I have tried a lot of different dishes from their menu. The carne asada, steak nachos and steak quesidilla are the best. If you can sit in the bar you will get the best service there. Although be aware of karaoke in the bar on weekends (?) Also there is a mariachi band there on Friday and Saturday evenings in the bar and restaurant. There are a lot of Mexican restaurants to choose from in Whatcom County but give this place a try first. You won't regret it! Great place for a large party in the bar or restaurant. The bar is a great place to watch a sports game too.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bellingham, WA
“Decent food, so-so service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

I've been to El Gitano a couple times now, and each time has left with an unsatisfied feeling. Sure, the food is good, but then again, it's Mexican food. If you like mexican food, it's good pretty much anywhere you go. With that in mind, I was forced to judge on other elements. The service at El Gitano is off and on. The first time I dined there, service was TERRIBLE. I didn't receive a refill on my soda the entire time, nor was I asked. Food was simply dropped at the table and we were left. I get the feeling that if you do not look as though you want to spend a fortune there (ie: you're a college student) you will not receive any service as tip-hunting seems to be a primary focus.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Decent with fair prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008