“Radio spot, reminded me to eat here.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Whistler, Canada
“Radio spot, reminded me to eat here.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Geez, I was happy that I remembered a radio spot that ran for a long time on the Classic Rock station my truck radio gets.

El Gitano, had a catchy jingle, that went off in my dome as I drove the I-5 on my way home from Seattle. I had left after coffee and was getting a hunger on when I drove into Bellingham, as I passed under the sign, I instinctively remembered the jingle and pulled in. The staff were totally friendly. Super menu with lots of options for all types of appetetites. The house salsa is really REALLY Goood. Big deal on beers is regular here and specials all week. They currently had a chile rejeno enchillada special, and it was macho! Big Ups to this spot, I'll definitely return for the food, drinks and the service.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Victoria, BC
“So Yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Service was fast and friendly. The food was spectacular! Both the restaurant and restrooms were very clean.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bellingham, Washington
“Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Good mexican food. I usually get the Birria. They also have Karoke 1 or 2 nights a week and that is usually pretty fun.

Visited September 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Mexican Food... and that's not just the margaritas talking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Like many other reviewers on here we make this a stop when we are in the States from Canada. We have many wonderful places at home but I don't know of any local Mexican restaurants in the Lower Mainland so El Gitano is a special treat whenever we are in the area.
The decor is what you would expect for a cantina style place, brightly colored tiles and banners. Many tables and booths to choose from.
The service starts with the obligatory salsa and tortilla chips on the table but the chips are warm from the oven. It is hard to hold back to save room for the large portioned meal ahead.
I always start with a Patron margarita over ice. They serve a very generous sized drink and they give you what you are paying for. Delicious.
The menu is large and has a great variety of beef, chicken and shrimp dishes. I was torn between the Chicken Mole and the Spicy Steak Picante. I went with the Spicy Steak and was not disappointed. Lots of jalepeno slices in the red picante sauce. Sour cream, guacamole, beans and rice as is standard on most Mexican food plates. Great flavor and the spiciness was just right. The food is not greasy at all which can be quite a turn off.
I suggest you take your time and really look over the menu because I missed seeing a couple things until after I had ordered. I guess we will just have to come back down for more great Mexican food. Never any room for dessert.
Our server was friendly and fun and all the staff are very attentive. Having been here several times this has always been our experience.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Quality Food and Service - Muy Bueno!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

A casual atmosphere, and although it was busy we got a table right away. The server was very attentive, and the staff made an effort to make sure we were satisfied with everything. It was hard not to be with food this good! I had the Chicken mole. The sauce had a good balance of heat and spice to sweet and rich. It came with a generous sides of beans, rice, tomato and greens. Everything tasted fresh and made from scratch, even the salsa for the tortilla chips, and the ingredients in the margaritas. Definitely a step above the typical neighbourhood Mexican place.

• Visited July 2013