“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Surrey, Canada
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Chef Rob Holmes and his staff are to be commended for providing appetizing presentation of excellent cuisine by friendly staff. The lovely venue overlooking the bay is a casual atmosphere but with a classy dining experience. We enjoyed breakfasts and dinners at Keenan's during our stay at the Chrysalis Inn and every meal was delicious... served hot from the kitchen and prepared with fresh ingredients. My Scallops and Mushroom Risotto dinner was just the best!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bellingham, Washington, United States
“Disappointing Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We've been to Keenan's several times and agree with a previous reviewer that it is going downhill. There was a bit of confusion when we arrived, but we were seated shortly at a nice table. Our server was personable and the sunset was gorgeous. After taking our drink and appetizer orders our server disappeared (for about 20 to 25 minutes). When she finally brought our oysters, she appeared surprised that our drinks hadn't magically appeared at our table. She returned 5 minutes later with our drinks and salads (which we weren't ready for as we wanted to enjoy our oysters with our drinks). We ordered wine. Our entrees appeared, but no wine. It took quite a while to get anyone's attention and have our wine delivered. By then, our dishes were cold. The food was OK, but the service was horrible. I don't think we'll be back.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bellingham, Washington
“So badly wanted to love our meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

But just couldn't. Husband's lamb confit pasta tasted good but arrived cool to the touch, and my vegetarian Polish cabbage roll was grossly underseasoned and uninterestingly textured. And it desperately needed a sauce, something wet, for a sense of luxury. I ordered it because I wanted comfort food and I ate it because I was hungry, but I wasn't happy with it in any way. I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm an excellent cook and I know vegetarian food doesn't have be boring! (Btw, two others at my table who also ordered this, and we were in complete agreement about this. Keenans would close in a week if all the food were this underwelming.)

A caesar salad was tasty but was a heavy/creamy/mayonnaise flavored dressing which is not at all the classic caesar of my dreams, and I would not order it again. Great service, though, and a reasonable wine list--reasons to go again and hope for better luck next time. It's one of the best rooms in Bellingham and we need this restaurant to do well!

• 2 of 5 stars Food
“What is happening?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We have been to Keenan's at least five times in the past six months, and each time it seems to go down a notch. When they first changed from Fino's, they were fabulous. The prices are a bit higher than other restaurants, but worth it if you get well prepared food. We have been for lunch and dinner. I especially wish to address their "Sharable Side Dishes". At first, they were very generous ,and one could order three of them for $24 and be satisfied. The "Roasted Parsnips and Carrots" are delicious, but last night I ordered them and received maximum 10 each 1/8 inch round quarter sized slices of each on a small plate. On previous occasions when I had ordered them, I received a generous pile on a medium plate, enough for at least two persons. This downsizing is also true for other vegetable side dishes. Desserts are also very different and not to everyone's taste. Do not know when I will want to try them again.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Bellingham, Washington
“Great food and great view, too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Soup and salad never tasted so good! The seafood chowder at Keenan's was freshly prepared with clams in the shell, as well as scallops, salmon and cod. The grilled pear salad with chevre and candied walnuts was delicious and beautifully presented. We finished our meal by sharing a a freshly baked apple tart with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. I will definitely bring visitors to Bellingham here to enjoy the food and view.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere