“A wonderful inn” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Bellingham
Crookston, Minnesota
“A wonderful inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

We stayed 3 nights at the Fairhaven Village Inn and it couldn't have been more perfect. Connie and Gene the owners were so gracious. We happened to arrive on the day of the market (Wednesday) right across the street from the Inn. They had lots of Bellingham made products and fresh veggies and homemade crafts.
The Inn is located in a perfect spot. There is a boardwalk around part of Puget Sound and a coffee shop at the end of the walk. There are many quaint shops and delicious restaurants right near by like a yummy crepe and soup place and right next door to the inn is a cool pub, small enough to meet with your favorite person and talk! Also ask Gene, the owner about his special park that is a must to visit and walk around.
The Village Inn offers many special things for their guests. The breakfast of waffles, hard boiled eggs, crusty bread for toast, fresh berries right from Washington, healthy cereals, and tea, Washington coffee and juices!! Our room was special. We had a suite and the bed, with feather down everything felt like my husband and I were sleeping on cloud 9. We had a fireplace and chess set in the livingroom, with a jacuzzi and great shower in the bath area. Even the magazines on the end table were unique.
All the people working there were so helpful and we were treated to just made chocolate chip cookies each day of our stay There wasn't one thing I would change about our stay at the Village Inn. The whole neighborhood of Fairhaven is fun to roam around. It's small enough to walk and each shop has something unique to offer. Really, I would go to Bellingham just for the stay at the Village Inn, relaxing, eating good food and walking the boardwalk.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

I booked this Inn because it was close to the family I was visiting and they were offering a "stay 3 nights for the price of 2". After a terrible drive from Seattle, this room was heaven. The beds were big and soft, the room spotless, and the fireplace took the chill off the damp outside air. The staff was very helpful with any questions I had or directions I needed. The free breakfast was to die for! The made your Belgian waffles fresh! I never wanted to leave! The only downside was the bay view wasn't the greatest with all the buildings behind the hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

My friend and I stayed at the Fairhaven Inn and were very impressed with the staff. The breakfast downstairs was an extra bonus and even more impressive was having the owner make us fresh waffles. I think all the guests were impressed as there was a constant stream of people coming to enjoy the atmosphere and conversations. We went to a Mexican restaurant, Milagros close by but it was nothing special. I would recommend the other Mexican restaurant, Dos Padres up the road. There are a lot of quaint little shops in the area. If we had time, we would have liked to have walked along the trail. Fairhaven Inn is a nice getaway.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

My wife and decided to trip the Village Inn on a whim. The area near the hotel is an easy place to walk about for shops, nice restaurants and music venues. The hotel staff is very, very friendly and works hard to make you feel comfortable. Our room on the bayside was unusually large with a balcony, big comfortable chairs and inviting gas fireplace. I would not classify the hotel as quite luxurious and there are occasional trains a small distance away in the night, but it makes for a clean, convenient base to visit Bellingham from. Downstairs there is a lounge with books, puzzles, papers, big chairs and another warm fireplace. The morning continental breakfast is above average and more than adequate for the day. We will return on our next visit to this very underappreciated corner of Washington State.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Fairhaven Village Inn on Valentine’s Day. We stayed in a Bayside room on the second floor (there are 3 floors).

Cons:
Our room: I felt a bit mislead from the pictures on the website. I was expecting something similar to the outside of the building and the main rooms. Instead of having that old-timey, unique feel, they were just normal hotel rooms with normal hotel furniture and hotel art. Even the wallpaper was hotel-y.

The bed: Horribly uncomfortable! My expectations were pretty high with this claim on their website: “Down bedding, stacks of pillows and comforters reminiscent of yesterday”. I expected a sleeping oasis yet encountered a lot of tossing and turning trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in their not-so-plush beds.
The noise: I do not recommend a bayside room. I’m not sure the “view” (read others reviews on what the view entails) and the fireplace are worth it. The room became too hot in the night so we had to open the door. The door then needed to be shut because of all the industrial and seagull related noise. I didn’t go into the parkside rooms but I’m willing to bet the view is much better and the noise is much less! And these rooms happen to be less expensive!

The continental breakfast: I was looking forward to Chuckanut Bay Bakery muffins. I mean really looking forward to them. They had muffins. They had bagels. They had yogurt. All from COSTCO! This was VERY disappointing! Just another area where we felt the advertising on the website was misleading.

Pros:

Our Room: Was clean.

Hotel Service: Everyone at the front desk was nice, especially when we needed to check out 30 minutes late.

Fairhaven!: This was by far the highlight of our trip! We found some great deals shopping. The stores and restaurants we went to were significantly less expensive than where we live in Seattle. That was a nice surprise! It is such a lovely area to walk around. We enjoyed Valentines Dinner at The Black Cat and a lovely breakfast (after the disappointing Costco muffin fiasco) at Magdalena’s, a wonderful creperie next door to the hotel! Fairhaven definitely helped us slow down a bit and really enjoy each other’s company! We had a wonderful time out and about!

Overall:

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to call this place an Inn. I think it needs to be advertised as a hotel, with lower rates. $199 a night seems a bit overpriced for all of the Cons I mentioned above. If this Inn was appropriately advertised (i.e. our breakfast includes muffins from Costco) I wouldn’t have been so disappointed. Most of the time when I stay somewhere the place exceeds my expectations. This experience severely underwhelmed me. While it wasn’t a positive experience for me, I do believe it will meet the needs of many who stay here. Just not the unique Inn experience I had really been hoping for.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
InnkeeperFVI, Supervisor at Fairhaven Village Inn, responded to this review, March 8, 2010
Dear bhdufault,

First of all thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review, we always appreciate constructive feedback! I would like to respond to some of your comments:

Sleep comfort is a very personal choice and we are always looking for the combinations that provide all of our guests with the best sleep. We are sorry that the bedding did not meet your expectations and we value your feedback in this respect as we are always looking for ways to improve our guests’ experience. I apologize about the misinformation on our website regarding our breakfast. This has been corrected, thank you for you pointing it out. We will take your comments into consideration as this is an important aspect of our service. Furthermore, we endeavor both on our website and in person to give a true picture of the hotel’s location in the heart of Fairhaven, close to a working harbor, and with convenient access to outdoor activities as well as beautiful bayside trails and unique shops and restaurants. We understand that the seagulls and trains – all part of an active seaside community in the Pacific Northwest – can be quite noisy at times and we are sorry for any disruption they may have caused!

We are happy to hear that you had a positive experience with our staff and how much you liked our lovely town! Thank you so much for your constructive and thoughtful comments.

Kerstin Martin
Hotel Supvervisor
Vancouver Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

I am really at odds with myself as to whether I should write a review of this hotel. It is a GEM! I should keep my hands off the keys and save the place for myself and my friends. Big rooms, big comfy beds, and best of all (in at least some rooms) fireplaces! The third floor balcony rooms have great views and Privacy with a capital "P". The inn is within EASY walking distance of great dining, really neat art shops, and best of all a superb bookstore is just across the street! This will become one of my favorite hotels for romantic get-aways with my wife.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Lacey, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

You simply can't beat it for location and a stress-free trip. I wanted just a couple days to see the area and wanted to try out getting there from Olympia by bus or train. I was scared but when I got there I realized both bus and train come in in a very safe nice area (so much nicer than some other bus stations I've seen!!!) and a very easy walk to the Fairhaven Village Inn. I'm 61 and took a small rolling suitcase--very nice walk to and from. I usually stay in B&Bs, but I loved this. It felt like something in between a B&B and a same-old same-old nice hotel. They have a big library room that wasn't on their homepage which I loved too..downstairs by lobby and a place to just sit and read w/o feeling like you have to sit in your room on a rainy day. The parkside room which I had was beautiful and I loved the view, very spacious and I liked that too. They should put a photo of their continental breakfast area online and they don't--it was nice, modern look with high bar tables and barstools; didn't have the feel of the usual continental breakfast displays. Nicely located just inside main doors. You felt safe here--only 22 rooms and car parking in down below underneath hotel. They fail to put that in photos too but safe, easy, even a bathroom down there if you need it. I absolutely LOVED not getting in my car at all. Plenty to see and do w/o a car in Fairhaven...I spent too much. I absolutely suggest looking for 'specials' at the hotel. I'm going again soon on a 3 nights for price of 2. It is pricy and in this economy we need to save where we can, right? Staff were very very pleasant. Lots of good info in lobby to take home or back to room to learn more about the area.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo

Been to Fairhaven Village Inn? Share your experiences!