“A friendly, warm comfortable place to stay in a terrific neighborhood.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairhaven Village Inn

You added Fairhaven Village Inn to your Saves list
Fairhaven Village Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 10th Street, Bellingham, WA 98225   |
Special Offer
WiFi, Parking, Breakfast!
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Bellingham
Seattle, WA
“A friendly, warm comfortable place to stay in a terrific neighborhood.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

My wife and decided to trip the Village Inn on a whim. The area near the hotel is an easy place to walk about for shops, nice restaurants and music venues. The hotel staff is very, very friendly and works hard to make you feel comfortable. Our room on the bayside was unusually large with a balcony, big comfortable chairs and inviting gas fireplace. I would not classify the hotel as quite luxurious and there are occasional trains a small distance away in the night, but it makes for a clean, convenient base to visit Bellingham from. Downstairs there is a lounge with books, puzzles, papers, big chairs and another warm fireplace. The morning continental breakfast is above average and more than adequate for the day. We will return on our next visit to this very underappreciated corner of Washington State.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Fairhaven Village Inn on Valentine’s Day. We stayed in a Bayside room on the second floor (there are 3 floors).

Cons:
Our room: I felt a bit mislead from the pictures on the website. I was expecting something similar to the outside of the building and the main rooms. Instead of having that old-timey, unique feel, they were just normal hotel rooms with normal hotel furniture and hotel art. Even the wallpaper was hotel-y.

The bed: Horribly uncomfortable! My expectations were pretty high with this claim on their website: “Down bedding, stacks of pillows and comforters reminiscent of yesterday”. I expected a sleeping oasis yet encountered a lot of tossing and turning trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in their not-so-plush beds.
The noise: I do not recommend a bayside room. I’m not sure the “view” (read others reviews on what the view entails) and the fireplace are worth it. The room became too hot in the night so we had to open the door. The door then needed to be shut because of all the industrial and seagull related noise. I didn’t go into the parkside rooms but I’m willing to bet the view is much better and the noise is much less! And these rooms happen to be less expensive!

The continental breakfast: I was looking forward to Chuckanut Bay Bakery muffins. I mean really looking forward to them. They had muffins. They had bagels. They had yogurt. All from COSTCO! This was VERY disappointing! Just another area where we felt the advertising on the website was misleading.

Pros:

Our Room: Was clean.

Hotel Service: Everyone at the front desk was nice, especially when we needed to check out 30 minutes late.

Fairhaven!: This was by far the highlight of our trip! We found some great deals shopping. The stores and restaurants we went to were significantly less expensive than where we live in Seattle. That was a nice surprise! It is such a lovely area to walk around. We enjoyed Valentines Dinner at The Black Cat and a lovely breakfast (after the disappointing Costco muffin fiasco) at Magdalena’s, a wonderful creperie next door to the hotel! Fairhaven definitely helped us slow down a bit and really enjoy each other’s company! We had a wonderful time out and about!

Overall:

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to call this place an Inn. I think it needs to be advertised as a hotel, with lower rates. $199 a night seems a bit overpriced for all of the Cons I mentioned above. If this Inn was appropriately advertised (i.e. our breakfast includes muffins from Costco) I wouldn’t have been so disappointed. Most of the time when I stay somewhere the place exceeds my expectations. This experience severely underwhelmed me. While it wasn’t a positive experience for me, I do believe it will meet the needs of many who stay here. Just not the unique Inn experience I had really been hoping for.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
InnkeeperFVI, Supervisor at Fairhaven Village Inn, responded to this review, March 8, 2010
Dear bhdufault,

First of all thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review, we always appreciate constructive feedback! I would like to respond to some of your comments:

Sleep comfort is a very personal choice and we are always looking for the combinations that provide all of our guests with the best sleep. We are sorry that the bedding did not meet your expectations and we value your feedback in this respect as we are always looking for ways to improve our guests’ experience. I apologize about the misinformation on our website regarding our breakfast. This has been corrected, thank you for you pointing it out. We will take your comments into consideration as this is an important aspect of our service. Furthermore, we endeavor both on our website and in person to give a true picture of the hotel’s location in the heart of Fairhaven, close to a working harbor, and with convenient access to outdoor activities as well as beautiful bayside trails and unique shops and restaurants. We understand that the seagulls and trains – all part of an active seaside community in the Pacific Northwest – can be quite noisy at times and we are sorry for any disruption they may have caused!

We are happy to hear that you had a positive experience with our staff and how much you liked our lovely town! Thank you so much for your constructive and thoughtful comments.

Kerstin Martin
Hotel Supvervisor
Vancouver Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

I am really at odds with myself as to whether I should write a review of this hotel. It is a GEM! I should keep my hands off the keys and save the place for myself and my friends. Big rooms, big comfy beds, and best of all (in at least some rooms) fireplaces! The third floor balcony rooms have great views and Privacy with a capital "P". The inn is within EASY walking distance of great dining, really neat art shops, and best of all a superb bookstore is just across the street! This will become one of my favorite hotels for romantic get-aways with my wife.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Lacey, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

You simply can't beat it for location and a stress-free trip. I wanted just a couple days to see the area and wanted to try out getting there from Olympia by bus or train. I was scared but when I got there I realized both bus and train come in in a very safe nice area (so much nicer than some other bus stations I've seen!!!) and a very easy walk to the Fairhaven Village Inn. I'm 61 and took a small rolling suitcase--very nice walk to and from. I usually stay in B&Bs, but I loved this. It felt like something in between a B&B and a same-old same-old nice hotel. They have a big library room that wasn't on their homepage which I loved too..downstairs by lobby and a place to just sit and read w/o feeling like you have to sit in your room on a rainy day. The parkside room which I had was beautiful and I loved the view, very spacious and I liked that too. They should put a photo of their continental breakfast area online and they don't--it was nice, modern look with high bar tables and barstools; didn't have the feel of the usual continental breakfast displays. Nicely located just inside main doors. You felt safe here--only 22 rooms and car parking in down below underneath hotel. They fail to put that in photos too but safe, easy, even a bathroom down there if you need it. I absolutely LOVED not getting in my car at all. Plenty to see and do w/o a car in Fairhaven...I spent too much. I absolutely suggest looking for 'specials' at the hotel. I'm going again soon on a 3 nights for price of 2. It is pricy and in this economy we need to save where we can, right? Staff were very very pleasant. Lots of good info in lobby to take home or back to room to learn more about the area.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

The purpose of our trip was to visit our son in Bellingham. Our daughter had arrived a week in advance, checked out the area and selected the Fairhaven Village Inn for us. She has good taste. We really enjoyed the Inn and strolling around historic Fairhaven shops. The staff was very helpful and friendly, especially Kerstin and Tamara. We were there a week. It's close to I-5 and close to so many things to see and do. From this base we hiked the boardwalk between Fairhaven Inn and downtown Bellingham, visited Seattle's Flagship REI, Pike Place, Anacortes ferry to Friday Harbor, lavender farm, Lime Kiln Point State Park, San Juan Vineyard, Deception Pass, drive to the top of Mt. Baker, Mt. Baker Vineyard, and Vancouver's Stanley Park. Our favorite area restaurants were The Fork at Agate Bay and Nimbus. I highly recommend a stay at this Inn.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

Fairhaven is a hidden treasure of a town, and if you stay at Fairhaven Village Inn, you will be perfectly situated to explore and enjoy it tremendously!

It is located across from the Village Green where they have movies in the summer time, where you can enjoy a farmer's market there on Wednesdays until the end of September, and where you can sit in the warm sunshine as you read or contemplate the scene and your day.

The town is full of books stores, restaurants with creative dishes, and the friendliest people around. The hotel is clean, spacious, and quite enjoyable, and the room has a gas fireplace and a deck for you to enjoy the sunset over the bay. They even give you robes to lounge in! The breakfast each morning is filling and there are many choices, and the people who work there are helpful and interesting.

As you leave the front door of the hotel, you will find a wondrous path along the boardwalk, next to the bay, thru the park, and to the Woods coffeehouse. Stop there for a cuppa in a great environment, and then walk on into the town of Bellingham ~ 2 12/ miles from Fairhaven.

After you explore and enjoy the town and library, you can hop on a bus for $1 and it will take you back to Fairhaven, or you can go up and explore the Western Washington University campus.

The whole area is simply a treat to visit ~ I hope you enjoy it as thoroughly as we did!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
washington state
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

We stayed one night at the Fairhaven Village Inn. The room was beautiful and spacious, and the view was lovely. There was a comfy patio down the hall, and the breakfast bar was perfect. I'd stay there again, anytime I'm in Bellingham.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairhaven Village Inn? Share your experiences!