“Will be a repeat customer” 5 of 5 stars

WiFi, Parking, Breakfast!
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Bellingham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lacey, WA
“Will be a repeat customer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

You simply can't beat it for location and a stress-free trip. I wanted just a couple days to see the area and wanted to try out getting there from Olympia by bus or train. I was scared but when I got there I realized both bus and train come in in a very safe nice area (so much nicer than some other bus stations I've seen!!!) and a very easy walk to the Fairhaven Village Inn. I'm 61 and took a small rolling suitcase--very nice walk to and from. I usually stay in B&Bs, but I loved this. It felt like something in between a B&B and a same-old same-old nice hotel. They have a big library room that wasn't on their homepage which I loved too..downstairs by lobby and a place to just sit and read w/o feeling like you have to sit in your room on a rainy day. The parkside room which I had was beautiful and I loved the view, very spacious and I liked that too. They should put a photo of their continental breakfast area online and they don't--it was nice, modern look with high bar tables and barstools; didn't have the feel of the usual continental breakfast displays. Nicely located just inside main doors. You felt safe here--only 22 rooms and car parking in down below underneath hotel. They fail to put that in photos too but safe, easy, even a bathroom down there if you need it. I absolutely LOVED not getting in my car at all. Plenty to see and do w/o a car in Fairhaven...I spent too much. I absolutely suggest looking for 'specials' at the hotel. I'm going again soon on a 3 nights for price of 2. It is pricy and in this economy we need to save where we can, right? Staff were very very pleasant. Lots of good info in lobby to take home or back to room to learn more about the area.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

The purpose of our trip was to visit our son in Bellingham. Our daughter had arrived a week in advance, checked out the area and selected the Fairhaven Village Inn for us. She has good taste. We really enjoyed the Inn and strolling around historic Fairhaven shops. The staff was very helpful and friendly, especially Kerstin and Tamara. We were there a week. It's close to I-5 and close to so many things to see and do. From this base we hiked the boardwalk between Fairhaven Inn and downtown Bellingham, visited Seattle's Flagship REI, Pike Place, Anacortes ferry to Friday Harbor, lavender farm, Lime Kiln Point State Park, San Juan Vineyard, Deception Pass, drive to the top of Mt. Baker, Mt. Baker Vineyard, and Vancouver's Stanley Park. Our favorite area restaurants were The Fork at Agate Bay and Nimbus. I highly recommend a stay at this Inn.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

Fairhaven is a hidden treasure of a town, and if you stay at Fairhaven Village Inn, you will be perfectly situated to explore and enjoy it tremendously!

It is located across from the Village Green where they have movies in the summer time, where you can enjoy a farmer's market there on Wednesdays until the end of September, and where you can sit in the warm sunshine as you read or contemplate the scene and your day.

The town is full of books stores, restaurants with creative dishes, and the friendliest people around. The hotel is clean, spacious, and quite enjoyable, and the room has a gas fireplace and a deck for you to enjoy the sunset over the bay. They even give you robes to lounge in! The breakfast each morning is filling and there are many choices, and the people who work there are helpful and interesting.

As you leave the front door of the hotel, you will find a wondrous path along the boardwalk, next to the bay, thru the park, and to the Woods coffeehouse. Stop there for a cuppa in a great environment, and then walk on into the town of Bellingham ~ 2 12/ miles from Fairhaven.

After you explore and enjoy the town and library, you can hop on a bus for $1 and it will take you back to Fairhaven, or you can go up and explore the Western Washington University campus.

The whole area is simply a treat to visit ~ I hope you enjoy it as thoroughly as we did!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
washington state
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

We stayed one night at the Fairhaven Village Inn. The room was beautiful and spacious, and the view was lovely. There was a comfy patio down the hall, and the breakfast bar was perfect. I'd stay there again, anytime I'm in Bellingham.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Fountain Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

The Village Inn is located in the historic Fairhaven District of Bellingham, Wa. We loved it!! The Inn is a boutique hotel with 22 rooms. The staff could not have been more helpful in giving us guidance into restaurants and information about driving into Vancouver, Canada. Our room was gorgeous, with 2 queen beds that were so comfortable and a fireplace. We had a view of the bay and the dock where the ferries to Alaska depart. The sunsets in the evening were amazing. The Inn offers a continental breakfast each morning, waffles, rolls, hard boiled eggs and yogurt. The parking was safe, especially since we were traveling with bikes on the back of the vehicle. The Inn has a library room to curl up with a good book, and the second floor offers an outdoor patio with views of the water. Located within walking distance of quaint shops and plenty of cafes and restaurants. One morning we got up and walked the path to the boardwalk over the water for a bit, along the shore where old Salmon canneries once stood. You can see the remnants of the canneries, and read of the history of the area. Continuing on to the park, we got a cup of coffee at Wood's coffee.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
davslp
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

The staff made me feel so at home with their warth and hospitality. The room was very beautiful and extremely comfortable. Conveniently being within walking distance from the main area of town and the bay was a definite treat. The facility was full of decorative character and charm which resembled that of my hometown in MS. A loyal customer has been gained and I will make Fairhaven Village Inn my place of stay when I visit again!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Uxbridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

I was looking for a quaint, charming getaway for my husband and I and this unique inn definitely fit the bill. It's right in the heart of Fairhaven; a picturesque historic neighbourhood of Bellingham, Washington. There are lots of cool shops and restaurants within easy walking distance and it's right across the street from the "Village Green" which is a neat little town courtyard where events are frequently held such as a local market or live music. Outdoor movies are played there in the summer evenings apparently. Our visit was in September, so we missed out on this novelty unfortunately.

The hotel was clean with a lovely historic feel to it even though the building is only about 10 years old. There is a nice continental breakfast included as part of your stay where you can choose cereal, muffins, waffles, hard-boiled eggs, coffee, tea, etc. A good selection.

A couple of downsides:
1) The beds are EXTREMELY hard and the feather pillows are very thin and insubstantial. The polyester pillows were okay.
2) The hotel is set up with rooms on the "Bayside" and rooms on the "Parkside". The Bayside rooms have a water view...BUT the water is far away and between you and the water lies an industrial complex. It's noisy on this side of the inn. You are serenaded by overzealous seagulls, trains (complete with loud blaring horns), and the lovely buzz of industrial ventilation and parking lot lighting.

My husband and I had a terrible sleep the first night in our Bayside room and were forced to request a room on the Parkside. A room on this side of the inn is MUCH better in my opinion. And the per-night rate is lower too. The beds and pillows were just as disappointing, but at least you can get a much quieter night's sleep. And it's kind of interesting to observe the activities across the street at the Village Green from the window of your room.

Overall, I had a very nice time at The Fairhaven Inn, but I really strongly feel that the beds and pillows need to be upgraded. I've slept in more comfortable beds in lower-star-rated hotels. The location is SUPERB however. It's great to have such easy walking-distance access to the local attractions.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
InnkeeperFVI, Owner at Fairhaven Village Inn, responded to this review, September 30, 2009
Dear Superhappyfunartist,

As the owners of the Fairhaven Village Inn we appreciate your feedback and thank you for recommending us!

We are glad that you enjoyed our charming little town – your description of life here in historic Fairhaven was perfect. Please allow us to comment on some of your observations during your stay with us:

1) It is nice to hear that you liked our breakfast selection, we make an effort to keep it varied and also source from local businesses, like our muffins from the Chuckanut Bay Bakery who uses only local ingredients from Whatcom County.

2) We endeavor both on our website and in person to give a true picture of the hotel’s location in the heart of Fairhaven, close to a working harbor, and with convenient access to outdoor activities as well as beautiful bayside trails and unique shops and restaurants. We understand that the seagulls and trains – all part of an active seaside community in the Pacific Northwest – can be quite noisy at times and we are sorry for the disruption they caused on your first night. But we are glad that you enjoyed the parkside room you moved to, as do many of our other guests who favor the view over the Village Green.

3) As for the bedding, sleep comfort is a very personal choice and we are always looking for the combinations that provide all of our guests with the best sleep. Ironically, on my desk, as I write this note, is a request from a guest who wants to purchase one of our down pillows! We apologize that the pillows did not meet your expectations and we value your feedback in this respect as we are always looking for ways to personalize and improve our guests’ stay. We do offer a choice of down and synthetic pillows, when you return please let our guest services deliver the best pillow for you.

Thank you so much for your constructive and thoughtful comments. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!

Gene & Connie Shannon

Been to Fairhaven Village Inn? Share your experiences!