“dirty” 2 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Bellingham
“dirty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

if there wasn't an over abundance of duck poo everywhere this would be a nice park, but seeing what's all over the grass pulls me away from jumping into a most likely duck poo ridden lake!!

Visited July 2013

Vancouver, BC
“Bloedel Donovan Park on Lake Whatcom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We decided to make a day trip from Vancouver BC to see what was over in the Whatcom Falls area. I don't know Bellingham very well, but our fave stops are Cornwall Park (lovely treed park with a small network of walking/biking trails, grassy picnic spots, and a couple of playgrounds) and Fairhaven (Such a cute town!). We really enjoy walking/biking the Interurban Trail from downtown Bellingham to Boulevard Park and along the water to Fairhaven. Beautiful ocean views!
Anyways, we drove to Whatcom Falls Park and the kids played at both playground before we explored the trails. It was a hot day -- perfect for hanging out in the woods and going for a swim! We'd passed Bloedel Donovan Park on the lake as we were driving to the falls, so we decided to head back there for a dip. About a block or so before the park (at 1480 Electric Ave), there's a sub sandwich place located inside a convenience store. It's called Da Vinci's Classic Subs and they make the most DELICIOUS Philly steak subs! I ordered one for my husband (and stupidly got myself a lower-fat ham sub with no cheese), and as I watched them grill the beef and assemble the sandwich, I decided that I was going to have to try at least one bite. Luckily we were still in the parking lot when I had my taste of the Philly sub because once I'd put it in my mouth, there was no stopping me! My husband ended up having to go buy his own sandwich! haha (The kids got to eat the less-exciting ham sub.)
Finally I'm getting to my description of Bloedel Donovan.. The park was occupied by a mixed crowd: families with kids, young skateboarders, gangstas, buff beach volleyball players.. It was great for people-watching. There's a good-sized playground that's nicely shaded by some trees and a grassy area with two beach volleyball courts. The man-made 'beach' is just a thin strip, but the bottom of the lake is sandy and has a slow grade, so it's a nice spot for kids to swim. The water wasn't exactly clear, but it wasn't murky either. It was about 25C that day and the water was still slightly chilly in the late afternoon, so I doubt it ever gets very warm. I wasn't expecting a decent change-room, and there wasn't one (there's only a bathroom with a bench outside of the stalls), so you might want to come already wearing your swimsuit.
The only real down-side to this park was the amount of goose droppings all over the ground (luckily the droppings were dried up). I guess geese take over the place when the people aren't around.
It was definitely a fun trip! The Philly sub might've been the best part -- so don't miss out!! (I asked for a few added toppings, such as tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumber.)

Visited July 2013
8 attraction reviews
“Nice Peaceful Lake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Where the weather wasnt perfect, we took advantage of a couple of hours of nice sun to visit the lake area. We really love the serenity and calm that the lake has to offer. The eagles that we spotted, the owl that we encountered, even the deer are ALWAYS a welcoming sight to take your mind off of the hectic day to day stuff.

Visited April 2013
Washington
14 attraction reviews
“Bellingham's jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Since we live on the lake...my opinions are bias. This lake is great for any kind of water sport. Best place to be on a summer day! Great view all year!

Visited April 2013
vancouver, bc
26 attraction reviews
“Beautiful lake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We have friends on Lake Whatcom so we had an opportunity to visit them. The day we chose was amazing as it was sunny and the water was sparkling. We look forward to returning when the weather is warm.

Visited February 2013