“Horrible customer service/theft” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Bellingham
Bellingham, Washington
“Horrible customer service/theft”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I went to the spa for the first time because my daughter and I had gift certificates. I showed the receptionist my gift cards and she said she would collect them after our manicures. We were treated to coffee and treats in the relaxing room adjoining the manicure room. When we went to get our manicures, I left my belongings (purse, keys, gift cards, jacket) in the relaxing room, which adjoins the manicure room. My gift cards were stolen. I reported it to the receptionist, she accused me of not having any gift cards to begin with. When I reminded her that I had shown them to her, she then "remembered" and told me I should not have let them out of my sight, because it fact there had been many thefts there. I took responsibility for that and paid cash for the manicures. Since it was my first time there, I did not know where to place my belongings and felt they should have given me a place to store my things, had signage or something etc...Since, it felt like we were already in the safe, relaxing, space...being waited on my staff, etc., I did not have any red flags that my belongings were in danger. Also, she showed no concern for my loss and did nothing to help me resolve my problem. It felt pretty horrible. I wrote a letter to the management describing my first experience at the spa and I heard nothing back. Needless to say, it will be my last visit.

Room Tip: The rooms are beautiful, the receptionist staff in the spa was more than horrible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My children (11 and 5) and I stayed for a one-night getaway. We loved the side deluxe room, though my daughter ended up paying my son $20 to settle a battle for the bed in the coveted window alcove. The kids loved the giant bathtub, which opened onto the main room so I could be "with" them without being trapped in the bathroom. I was worried about the train noise but it was very infrequent and barely audible.

We borrowed "Sorry" from the lobby, and had a lovely breakfast with a killer view and the kindest waitstaff who accommodated picky kids. I splurged on massages for myself and daughter and she said it was the best massage ever (of three she's gotten). My kids really felt pampered and we all slept well.

The location was great, within comfortable and scenic walk (we picked blackberries along the way) of a nice commercial area and a slightly longer walk to the train and Alaska ferry stations and a waterfront park where my son threw rocks.

Room Tip: side room has great window sleep alcove and we had a partial ocean view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I try to come every year. Hands down the best place for couples. Calm, peaceful and relaxing. The rooms are very spacious. The bathroom is epic. Huge 2 person tub and shower. The views of the bay are great as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Northern VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Was just there for a few nights. Room and hotel were clean. We did see and read the reviews about the train, even saw the "occasional trains" sign on the front desk. Amtrak station nearby, but the train noise for the passenger trains was slight. It's the freight trains that will wake you up. We live near a busy United hub, so are used to noise. Monday night not so bad only a few passing Amtrak with littel noise. But BNSF must have been backed up for Tues night from 12 to about 5:30AM seemed like train after train after train, close to 8. Wed night only had a few trains during the night. They do supply free faom type earplugs in the room; nice given what they charge for the room. Charge for everything else including candles, matches, etc. Room view of the harbor is very nice. Could not get the room temp to go with the down comforter so we basically sweated two nights. We tried he spare blanket from the closet which did help the last night. Restaurant was nice with limited menu, but there are other, better restaurants within a short walking distance. We did not find this the quiet getaway spot for two; the Fairhaven Village Inn was a better choice for us during the week. Probably would not stay there again given the train noise.

Room Tip: Room away from the harbor view probably are not as noisy from the trains.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful spot! Yes, there are trains that go right by, but infrequent and the staff helpfully gives you earplugs. But that is not the point. Wonderful staff, great amenities, beautiful rooms with amazing view of Lummi Island and the San Juans behind. Just a few minutes walk to Fairhaven with fun shops and places to eat -- however our meal on the deck at Keenan's at the Pier was superb! I didn't have time for spa or a visit to the eucalyptus steam room, but I plan to come back for a girl getaway with my daughter. Bellingham is a great town to visit, and this is THE place to stay!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Loved Caitlyn's organic facial! I left so radiant and relaxed thanks Caitlyn. Ryan provided awesome service as did Nancy in the AM b fast. Our room was comparable to The Willows. Fireplace, view of the sunset, xxlarge tub, very clean and fresh. Only hick up was the trains going by. Otherwise perfect. Bring noise canceling head set. Earplugs were provided. We will be back. Live in sesttle area

• Stayed August 2013
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was super impressed by this hotel. The staff were very quick to attend to our every need, including getting extra pillows, helping us find nearby dog parks and getting our food delivered promptly so we could get to our appointments. I loved how they were so thoughtful, attentive and very dog friendly. The room we stayed in was a corner suite facing the water and was beautifully appointed and everything we saw in the photos. While I know some people have commented on the train being a concern, we did not find this to be the case. They were there, but the hotel does provide earplugs if needed however I grew up with trains so I enjoyed hearing them and slept through any that passed through in the night - if any actually did. The restaurant had good food selection and the fish and seafood was fresh and tasty. We also took a turn in the spa and it was here that we did find a small frustration and which is why I gave it a rating of 4 not 5. While getting a treatment at the spa, I am not interested in a sales pitch. I don't come to hear about the latest creams, lotions, sonic brushes or whatever that I can buy from the spa. I come to relax. That being said, if I ask about something, please feel free to tell me all about it, but don't try to sell me stuff in advance. My husband and I both felt a little like we were at a sales presentation during our treatments, which detracts from the treatment itself. That being said, the treatments were enjoyable and reasonable in price. The spa environment was peaceful and well thought out. Very nicely appointed locker rooms, with everything you need to prep for treatment or to clean up afterwards and a restful waiting area. I would not hesitate to return to this hotel and recommend this place to others.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family