“Best place for couples” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
Houston, Texas
“Best place for couples”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I try to come every year. Hands down the best place for couples. Calm, peaceful and relaxing. The rooms are very spacious. The bathroom is epic. Huge 2 person tub and shower. The views of the bay are great as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

230 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Northern VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Was just there for a few nights. Room and hotel were clean. We did see and read the reviews about the train, even saw the "occasional trains" sign on the front desk. Amtrak station nearby, but the train noise for the passenger trains was slight. It's the freight trains that will wake you up. We live near a busy United hub, so are used to noise. Monday night not so bad only a few passing Amtrak with littel noise. But BNSF must have been backed up for Tues night from 12 to about 5:30AM seemed like train after train after train, close to 8. Wed night only had a few trains during the night. They do supply free faom type earplugs in the room; nice given what they charge for the room. Charge for everything else including candles, matches, etc. Room view of the harbor is very nice. Could not get the room temp to go with the down comforter so we basically sweated two nights. We tried he spare blanket from the closet which did help the last night. Restaurant was nice with limited menu, but there are other, better restaurants within a short walking distance. We did not find this the quiet getaway spot for two; the Fairhaven Village Inn was a better choice for us during the week. Probably would not stay there again given the train noise.

Room Tip: Room away from the harbor view probably are not as noisy from the trains.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful spot! Yes, there are trains that go right by, but infrequent and the staff helpfully gives you earplugs. But that is not the point. Wonderful staff, great amenities, beautiful rooms with amazing view of Lummi Island and the San Juans behind. Just a few minutes walk to Fairhaven with fun shops and places to eat -- however our meal on the deck at Keenan's at the Pier was superb! I didn't have time for spa or a visit to the eucalyptus steam room, but I plan to come back for a girl getaway with my daughter. Bellingham is a great town to visit, and this is THE place to stay!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Loved Caitlyn's organic facial! I left so radiant and relaxed thanks Caitlyn. Ryan provided awesome service as did Nancy in the AM b fast. Our room was comparable to The Willows. Fireplace, view of the sunset, xxlarge tub, very clean and fresh. Only hick up was the trains going by. Otherwise perfect. Bring noise canceling head set. Earplugs were provided. We will be back. Live in sesttle area

• Stayed August 2013
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was super impressed by this hotel. The staff were very quick to attend to our every need, including getting extra pillows, helping us find nearby dog parks and getting our food delivered promptly so we could get to our appointments. I loved how they were so thoughtful, attentive and very dog friendly. The room we stayed in was a corner suite facing the water and was beautifully appointed and everything we saw in the photos. While I know some people have commented on the train being a concern, we did not find this to be the case. They were there, but the hotel does provide earplugs if needed however I grew up with trains so I enjoyed hearing them and slept through any that passed through in the night - if any actually did. The restaurant had good food selection and the fish and seafood was fresh and tasty. We also took a turn in the spa and it was here that we did find a small frustration and which is why I gave it a rating of 4 not 5. While getting a treatment at the spa, I am not interested in a sales pitch. I don't come to hear about the latest creams, lotions, sonic brushes or whatever that I can buy from the spa. I come to relax. That being said, if I ask about something, please feel free to tell me all about it, but don't try to sell me stuff in advance. My husband and I both felt a little like we were at a sales presentation during our treatments, which detracts from the treatment itself. That being said, the treatments were enjoyable and reasonable in price. The spa environment was peaceful and well thought out. Very nicely appointed locker rooms, with everything you need to prep for treatment or to clean up afterwards and a restful waiting area. I would not hesitate to return to this hotel and recommend this place to others.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kirkland, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

You know you're in for a treat when, upon check-in, the very friendly staff invite you to enjoy the spa and eucalyptus steam room any time (no charge). The lobby is beautiful and the view superb. But the room is divine! The bathroom features gorgeous stone- tiled shower and a giant tub with woodwork doors that slide open onto the bedroom. The bedroom is beautifully appointed, with fireplace and a window seat spacious enough for both of our six-foot frames to stretch out side-by-side. Our room was on the first floor, facing the water ... about as close to the train tracks as you can get in that hotel. The windows must be very well-insulated as the trains were audible but did not keep us awake, nor did we use earplugs. While we didn't try any spa treatments, I did enjoy the steam room each day and was surprised at how generously stocked the spa area was for hotel guests (not just those getting spa treatments). My husband and I rode our bikes everywhere and highly recommend walking bikes onto the sweet little ferry to Lummi Island, then biking the 7-mile loop around the island, with a stop for lunch at the Willows Inn. Dinner on the deck at Keenan's (located right there at the hotel) was a special treat. We enjoyed excellent food and wine while watching the local kids jump off the pier into the bay... close enough to see but far enough away to be picturesque rather than overly raucous. Oh, and if you drive up to Bellingham from areas to the south, be sure to drive Chuckanut Dr. at least one way, and enjoy fresh oysters on the beach at Taylor's Oyster Farm. I loved everything about this trip and will definitely make Chrysalis home base again on future Bellingham adventures.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to get a room facing the railroad tracks ... they also face the water and the vi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bainbridge Island, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Simply put, this is a fine hotel. Much is made of Bellingham's Bellweather which, we're sure, deserves the raves. But so too does The Chrysalis. On the water in the histori section of Fairhven in Bellingham, a port city of 75,000 in Washington state. The rooms are spacious, distinctive and, with a waterfront room, offers you view in the foreground of the accessible public wharf and the dock where, on Friday, the Alaska ferry prepares for its next trip north and, in the not so distant background, the silhouettes of Lummi and Orcase islands in the San Juans. The staff is congenial and friendly, the lobby among the most comfortable in which I've spent a late night or early morning and . The restaurant, where you can dine inside or out, offers delicious, affordable fare and courteous, quick service. And it's just a six or seven minute gentle walk to the Firhaven district, with lots of historic buildings, interesting shops and what may be the largest independent book store north of Powells in Portland. If we'd had a chance to stay another night, we would have, but, no surprise, it was 100 percent full that night. There's a reason. If you're in Bellingham, give it a go.

PS - Yes, the hotel overlooks a set of train tracks. Almost any property on the water line running north to south in Washington statte does. And, yes, the engines at the front and the engine at the rear make noise. Lots of it.But the night air is gentle, the bed comfortable, you're on a vacation and know you can sleep an extra 10 or 15 minute s to compensate for their admitted rumble and roar. Nicely enough, you'll find ear plugs provided by the hotel staff next to your bed. Use them if you want or, like me, just sleep in another 10 or 15 minutes. Who knows, at my age the trains helped me get one of my best night's sleep in a hotel in years.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Chrysalis Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!