“Loved the customer service, spa experience heavenly, trains a problem :(” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Chrysalis Inn & Spa

Save Saved
You added The Chrysalis Inn & Spa to your Saves list
The Chrysalis Inn & Spa
804 10th Street, Bellingham, WA 98225   |
Ranked #9 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
“Loved the customer service, spa experience heavenly, trains a problem :(”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Loved Caitlyn's organic facial! I left so radiant and relaxed thanks Caitlyn. Ryan provided awesome service as did Nancy in the AM b fast. Our room was comparable to The Willows. Fireplace, view of the sunset, xxlarge tub, very clean and fresh. Only hick up was the trains going by. Otherwise perfect. Bring noise canceling head set. Earplugs were provided. We will be back. Live in sesttle area

• Stayed August 2013

220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was super impressed by this hotel. The staff were very quick to attend to our every need, including getting extra pillows, helping us find nearby dog parks and getting our food delivered promptly so we could get to our appointments. I loved how they were so thoughtful, attentive and very dog friendly. The room we stayed in was a corner suite facing the water and was beautifully appointed and everything we saw in the photos. While I know some people have commented on the train being a concern, we did not find this to be the case. They were there, but the hotel does provide earplugs if needed however I grew up with trains so I enjoyed hearing them and slept through any that passed through in the night - if any actually did. The restaurant had good food selection and the fish and seafood was fresh and tasty. We also took a turn in the spa and it was here that we did find a small frustration and which is why I gave it a rating of 4 not 5. While getting a treatment at the spa, I am not interested in a sales pitch. I don't come to hear about the latest creams, lotions, sonic brushes or whatever that I can buy from the spa. I come to relax. That being said, if I ask about something, please feel free to tell me all about it, but don't try to sell me stuff in advance. My husband and I both felt a little like we were at a sales presentation during our treatments, which detracts from the treatment itself. That being said, the treatments were enjoyable and reasonable in price. The spa environment was peaceful and well thought out. Very nicely appointed locker rooms, with everything you need to prep for treatment or to clean up afterwards and a restful waiting area. I would not hesitate to return to this hotel and recommend this place to others.

Kirkland, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

You know you're in for a treat when, upon check-in, the very friendly staff invite you to enjoy the spa and eucalyptus steam room any time (no charge). The lobby is beautiful and the view superb. But the room is divine! The bathroom features gorgeous stone- tiled shower and a giant tub with woodwork doors that slide open onto the bedroom. The bedroom is beautifully appointed, with fireplace and a window seat spacious enough for both of our six-foot frames to stretch out side-by-side. Our room was on the first floor, facing the water ... about as close to the train tracks as you can get in that hotel. The windows must be very well-insulated as the trains were audible but did not keep us awake, nor did we use earplugs. While we didn't try any spa treatments, I did enjoy the steam room each day and was surprised at how generously stocked the spa area was for hotel guests (not just those getting spa treatments). My husband and I rode our bikes everywhere and highly recommend walking bikes onto the sweet little ferry to Lummi Island, then biking the 7-mile loop around the island, with a stop for lunch at the Willows Inn. Dinner on the deck at Keenan's (located right there at the hotel) was a special treat. We enjoyed excellent food and wine while watching the local kids jump off the pier into the bay... close enough to see but far enough away to be picturesque rather than overly raucous. Oh, and if you drive up to Bellingham from areas to the south, be sure to drive Chuckanut Dr. at least one way, and enjoy fresh oysters on the beach at Taylor's Oyster Farm. I loved everything about this trip and will definitely make Chrysalis home base again on future Bellingham adventures.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to get a room facing the railroad tracks ... they also face the water and the vi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bainbridge Island, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Simply put, this is a fine hotel. Much is made of Bellingham's Bellweather which, we're sure, deserves the raves. But so too does The Chrysalis. On the water in the histori section of Fairhven in Bellingham, a port city of 75,000 in Washington state. The rooms are spacious, distinctive and, with a waterfront room, offers you view in the foreground of the accessible public wharf and the dock where, on Friday, the Alaska ferry prepares for its next trip north and, in the not so distant background, the silhouettes of Lummi and Orcase islands in the San Juans. The staff is congenial and friendly, the lobby among the most comfortable in which I've spent a late night or early morning and . The restaurant, where you can dine inside or out, offers delicious, affordable fare and courteous, quick service. And it's just a six or seven minute gentle walk to the Firhaven district, with lots of historic buildings, interesting shops and what may be the largest independent book store north of Powells in Portland. If we'd had a chance to stay another night, we would have, but, no surprise, it was 100 percent full that night. There's a reason. If you're in Bellingham, give it a go.

PS - Yes, the hotel overlooks a set of train tracks. Almost any property on the water line running north to south in Washington statte does. And, yes, the engines at the front and the engine at the rear make noise. Lots of it.But the night air is gentle, the bed comfortable, you're on a vacation and know you can sleep an extra 10 or 15 minute s to compensate for their admitted rumble and roar. Nicely enough, you'll find ear plugs provided by the hotel staff next to your bed. Use them if you want or, like me, just sleep in another 10 or 15 minutes. Who knows, at my age the trains helped me get one of my best night's sleep in a hotel in years.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

A beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting. It was my second time at the Chrysalis. The first time was in February and it was a cozy respite from the rain and cold. This time (at the beginning of August), it was still a cozy respite -- this time from too much highway driving. We checked in, walked the South Bay Trail portion over the water and into the old shops of Fairhaven, then had a truly glorious meal at the in-house restaurant -- Keenan's on the Pier. Never had a chance to use the TV or DVD player. Instead, enjoyed the big bath, the sights from the window seat and the super comfy bed. I think I'll have to go back again in the rainy season -- it would be so easy to spend all day in that bed. Yes, there are trains, but after midnight I think there was only one until around 9 a.m.

Room Tip: Splurge the little bit extra for a room facing the bay. It's worth it.
Snohomish, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night stay for our anniversary, which was mid-week this year. I LOVED this place. We had a room facing the water on the 3rd floor (which is the top floor). I was a bit concerned after reading some comments about the trains, but I brought my own wax earplugs (which I have because I am married to a snorer!) and it really wasn't that bad. To me, it was worth the beautiful view. I want this room as my own master bedroom now - but with a bigger closet! Loved the large window seat, loved the bathroom's open sliding panel so that you can see the view from there, loved the giant soaking tub where you can have a bit of ice cream and watch a movie from your bubble bath. (There is a selection of DVDs that you can check out for free.) This is situated between the Fairhaven district, where there are numerous restaurants and shops to browse in, and then to the north is Boulevard park - you can actually stroll the boardwalk to the park directly from the hotel. We did not use the spa facilities, but instead chose to go hiking in the local area (tons of options to choose from), picnic at a local park, and also try stand up paddle-boarding at a local lake. We did eat at the restaurant for happy hour snacks/drinks and one breakfast. Very good food and service in the restaurant area, and very enjoyable view. I would definitely recommend this smaller hotel to others - probably best for couples though.

Room Tip: I would definitely request room facing the water. Maybe top floor is better for train noise (we had...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Washingrton DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were in Bellingham for a wedding. The hotel is on the water. There is a very nice walkway along the water right behind the hotel. That was a really pleasant stroll. The breakfast at the hotel was really good as well. Our room was waterfront, too a nap on the window seat !
However, there were a few problems. If you want a drink after 9 p.m., good luck. The bar closes really early so if you want to hang out outside by the fire with a glass of good wine...no options.
The train also runs all night ! The room will vibrate, an upgrade not mentioned on the brochures.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Chrysalis Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!