“Ringing your bell in Bellingham” 4 of 5 stars

The Chrysalis Inn & Spa
804 10th Street, Bellingham, WA 98225   |
Ranked #9 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
Bainbridge Island, WA
“Ringing your bell in Bellingham”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Simply put, this is a fine hotel. Much is made of Bellingham's Bellweather which, we're sure, deserves the raves. But so too does The Chrysalis. On the water in the histori section of Fairhven in Bellingham, a port city of 75,000 in Washington state. The rooms are spacious, distinctive and, with a waterfront room, offers you view in the foreground of the accessible public wharf and the dock where, on Friday, the Alaska ferry prepares for its next trip north and, in the not so distant background, the silhouettes of Lummi and Orcase islands in the San Juans. The staff is congenial and friendly, the lobby among the most comfortable in which I've spent a late night or early morning and . The restaurant, where you can dine inside or out, offers delicious, affordable fare and courteous, quick service. And it's just a six or seven minute gentle walk to the Firhaven district, with lots of historic buildings, interesting shops and what may be the largest independent book store north of Powells in Portland. If we'd had a chance to stay another night, we would have, but, no surprise, it was 100 percent full that night. There's a reason. If you're in Bellingham, give it a go.

PS - Yes, the hotel overlooks a set of train tracks. Almost any property on the water line running north to south in Washington statte does. And, yes, the engines at the front and the engine at the rear make noise. Lots of it.But the night air is gentle, the bed comfortable, you're on a vacation and know you can sleep an extra 10 or 15 minute s to compensate for their admitted rumble and roar. Nicely enough, you'll find ear plugs provided by the hotel staff next to your bed. Use them if you want or, like me, just sleep in another 10 or 15 minutes. Who knows, at my age the trains helped me get one of my best night's sleep in a hotel in years.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

222 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

A beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting. It was my second time at the Chrysalis. The first time was in February and it was a cozy respite from the rain and cold. This time (at the beginning of August), it was still a cozy respite -- this time from too much highway driving. We checked in, walked the South Bay Trail portion over the water and into the old shops of Fairhaven, then had a truly glorious meal at the in-house restaurant -- Keenan's on the Pier. Never had a chance to use the TV or DVD player. Instead, enjoyed the big bath, the sights from the window seat and the super comfy bed. I think I'll have to go back again in the rainy season -- it would be so easy to spend all day in that bed. Yes, there are trains, but after midnight I think there was only one until around 9 a.m.

Room Tip: Splurge the little bit extra for a room facing the bay. It's worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Snohomish, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night stay for our anniversary, which was mid-week this year. I LOVED this place. We had a room facing the water on the 3rd floor (which is the top floor). I was a bit concerned after reading some comments about the trains, but I brought my own wax earplugs (which I have because I am married to a snorer!) and it really wasn't that bad. To me, it was worth the beautiful view. I want this room as my own master bedroom now - but with a bigger closet! Loved the large window seat, loved the bathroom's open sliding panel so that you can see the view from there, loved the giant soaking tub where you can have a bit of ice cream and watch a movie from your bubble bath. (There is a selection of DVDs that you can check out for free.) This is situated between the Fairhaven district, where there are numerous restaurants and shops to browse in, and then to the north is Boulevard park - you can actually stroll the boardwalk to the park directly from the hotel. We did not use the spa facilities, but instead chose to go hiking in the local area (tons of options to choose from), picnic at a local park, and also try stand up paddle-boarding at a local lake. We did eat at the restaurant for happy hour snacks/drinks and one breakfast. Very good food and service in the restaurant area, and very enjoyable view. I would definitely recommend this smaller hotel to others - probably best for couples though.

Room Tip: I would definitely request room facing the water. Maybe top floor is better for train noise (we had...
Washingrton DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were in Bellingham for a wedding. The hotel is on the water. There is a very nice walkway along the water right behind the hotel. That was a really pleasant stroll. The breakfast at the hotel was really good as well. Our room was waterfront, too a nap on the window seat !
However, there were a few problems. If you want a drink after 9 p.m., good luck. The bar closes really early so if you want to hang out outside by the fire with a glass of good wine...no options.
The train also runs all night ! The room will vibrate, an upgrade not mentioned on the brochures.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

After the last time my husband and I spent a few days here I thought this was the perfect winter vacation spot! After last night, it was proven that its great in the summer too! We had the Oceanside Oasis package which includes 1 night accommodation, 2 in room Swedish massages and a $100 restaurant credit. It was my husband's 40th birthday and I'm so glad I got this package. We tend to dine on the cheap but the $100 restaurant credit allowed us to splurge without guilt. We each had burgers and 2 beer for dinner and a full breakfast in the morning and it fit into the $100. The in room massage was extremely professional and relaxing and we didn't have to even leave the room after that. We spent the night in the window seat watching all the comings and goings of everyone on the pier. We had a full view king room. We took advantage of the underground parking and the explored Fairhaven after checkout. I love this place. If you can get into relaxation mode, it's an amazing way to spend that time. We will definitely return in the future! Oh and the bed, pillows and sheets were so comfortable!

Parker, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is a beautiful property BUT the train tracks are only about 50 ft from the back of the property . They have a small sign on the registration desk advising that there may be some train noise. Well, there definitely is that! We had made a reservation here for the last night of a fantastic cruise vacation. We had flight reservations thru Frontier and since they don't fly out of Vancouver, we decided to spend our last night in Bellingham. The Chrysalis Inn looked very nice and was located on the water. However for the $200+ that we were charged, I certainly did not expect to hear trains coming past frequently! Our room was on the back of the hotel on the first floor. The more frequent trains were northbound and started blowing the whistle before they got to the property, but always managed to blow one more time as they were passing our location. There were a number of trains on Sunday night, but the most irritating was on Monday morning starting a 6 am. One train every 15-20 minutes!

Room Tip: Unless you like trains, I would suggest you stay elsewhere. Had I known about them, I would defini...
Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Get the room(s) facing the water. Nice view. Yes, the trains do come by. We stayed here our last night after visiting Vancouver and Victoria due to flying in and out of Bellingham. If I had to do it over again, I would have stayed in Bellingham and at the Chrysalis another night. Loved the small restaurant, the bar and walking into town along the path. Pricey but very nice.

Room Tip: Choose a waterfront room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Chrysalis Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!