“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Bellingham
Eugene, Oregon
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Bellingham is a very cool, funky little town spitting distance from the Canadian border – you’ll love this town and this boutique hotel.

The Chrysalis is a small, quaint, newer, upscale boutique hotel right on the bay in Bellingham – I love it.

The rooms are modern, spacious, functional and have a great view of the bay. The staff was very nice, and the price was decent for the product received ($185 for a ¾ bay view).

Not only is the hotel right on the water, but there is a cool boardwalk attached to the hotel that leads to a fantastic bay-front park. The only negative was the proximity to the train tracks (the hotel is basically right on top of the tracks), but it really didn’t bother us at all… in fact, if you are a railfan you might actually dig the proximity.

Room Tip: I don't think that there is a bad room... I think all rooms have a least a 3/4 bay view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We spent the night in one of the king suites. The room was so comfortable it was hard to leave. The living room had a huge window seat with the most incredible ocean view of Bellingham Bay and the wharf. The bathroom with it's huge jetted soaker tub was big enough for two. Drinks and appies on the patio were nicely priced with excellent service. The restaurant had an excellent menu with local in season items. Prices were surprisingly affordable given the venue. We didn't use the spa although it looked very nice and well run. The trains at night did make noise but we were able to fall back asleep with no problem and ear plugs were supplied at the bed side. All in all, it was a very enjoyable stay and we would definitely love to come back again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an ocean view room at least on the second floor.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I took my daughter here for her 16 birthday for a spa weekend. Excellent spa treatments, so she left with a goodie bag. Patio view is beautiful, looks out onto ocean. Would definitely go back. Never stayed in the rooms, they were full. But I'm sure they are just as great as the rest of the hotel.

Room Tip: Corner suites are supposed to be the best.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

If you don't like trains then this place may not be for you! But I love trains and I love the ocean. Chrysalis is definitely a gem for a quick escape from the hustle and bustle of life. Staff are first class and the spa was divine. Christina delivered by far the best massage I've had in a very long time. The room was gorgeous with a fabulous view of the water. The window seat is a nice place to curl up and just chill. Gas fireplace was cozy and made it for a romantic birthday weekend. The Happy Hour is great with a tasty menu. Looking forward to returning soon....Thanks Groupon for the opportunity to try something new.

Room Tip: Call ahead for a King Room...loved it!
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here the night of our wedding ceremony and it was really perfect. The bathroom wall can be opened into the bedroom so that the view of the water as well as the fireplace can be enjoyed from the huge 2 person soaking tub. No noise from other guests, and we weren't bothered by the train. The window seat is really big and comfortable and the two of us were able to hang out and take in the view. We didn't have a chance to use the spa, but will make a reservation for next time. We were impressed enough that we reserved a room for our friends for their wedding night.

• Stayed January 2013
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have been going to the Crysalis for several years - marking it as a favourite place to stay in the Pacific Northwest. This time my experience, both in the spa and the room was mediocre.

I called ahead as I had booked a KingRoom and wanted to ensure there would be a bed for my friend who was travelling with me. i was assured that in addition to the King Bed, there was also an "extremey comfortable" Queen sized pull out couch. Upon arrival, there was only a wicker couch. When I asked the fron desk, they said that there was room that would accomodate, but they were "saving it for and emergency." they suggested that my friend sleep in the window seat.

I asked them to bring the bedding, which they did, and dumped it onto the furniture for us to make this "non-bed" into a bed.

The room was okay - though only one sink in the bathroom. I was rudely awoken by a couple of smokers occupying a patio table below my slightly ajar window - at about 7:15 am. My whole room filled with cigarette smoke. Not exactly relaxing.

I booked into the SPa for a slat scrub glow treatment - which has gone up in price and down in value since i visited last February 2012. The room was cold ( had to ask for the heat lamps to be turned on) The service provider was okay, but it wasn't nearly the treatment I had recieved previously. She said she was "leaving me a sample" at the desk to try for my aching shoulder. The "sample' was not so - it was a jar of some kind of goo that i was prompted to purchase. IF i had in fact been offered a sample, i amy have followed through with a purchase. Also, the spa was so packed i was discouraged form going to therelaxation room after my treatment - in fact told there was no room for me there.

Breakfast was not the healthy buffet it used to be ( and was included in the price of an overnight stay. it was greasy and pricey.

I am in no hurry to return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Port Orchard, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Chrysalis Inn and Spa for three nights this May just prior to the Inns peak season. Our assigned room (two room suite overlooking the RR tracks) and its amenities were very good, staff was pleasant and helpful and the spa services as we expected for the price (very comparable to other Pacific Northwest Spa's).
Having stayed at the hotel a few years ago we did see that the room furnishings and public area facilities are getting a bit tired and could use a refreshening. Great to have Farehaven within a 15 minute slow-walk from the property offering a variety of restaurants, bars and coffee shops. At $300 + per night the property could dispense with the in-room gratuity envelopes for the House Keepers. Seems a bit of "nickel / dimming" there.

Room Tip: The property although overlooking Puget Sound is known for being "right on" the north sout...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Chrysalis Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!