“Great location for exploring the best of Bellingham” 4 of 5 stars

The Chrysalis Inn & Spa
804 10th Street, Bellingham, WA 98225   |
Ranked #9 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
delta, BC
“Great location for exploring the best of Bellingham”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We have just returned from a weekend trip to celebrate our 30th anniversary in Bellingham. We enjoyed our stay at the Chrysalis, where we had a room with a beautiful sunset view of Bellingham Bay, complete with cosy fireplace and comfy window seat. The railroad tracks were just below us and the train noises were a bit disruptive, but not too bad. They would probably be worse in warmer weather with the windows open. The hotel location is fantastic, with Fairhaven just a half a mile in one direction and downtown Bellingham about two miles in the other. Both are accessible by walking or biking the over-water pier, lovely seaside paths or wooded trails. The staff at the hotel are very helpful in giving directions and tips for where to explore. Our dinner in Fino's the first night was very good and the breakfast buffet included in our hotel costs was quite substantial and tasty. One morning, we ordered room service coffee. It was not the greatest and was not served in an especially appealing way. We got the sense that room service is not something they are called upon to do often. But we were impressed with the service overall and would definitely recommend this hotel as a relaxing getaway for a weekend.

Room Tip: If you think the train noises will bother you, go for a room without the water view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

217 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Burlington, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed one night at the inn with there weekday by the bay special and had a wonderful time. Very cozy with a big fireplace and comfy couches. Had dinner at Fino and it was delicious.I reccomend the filet mingon and a very berry martini! Stayed in room 302. Room was very clean and had a nice big tub and a very comfortable window seat (my sister slept there) with a beautiful view. The train is definetly noticeable. If you are sensitive to noise, go with the side view. The spa was fabulous! Swedish mass. with Angie and facial with Gretchen is a MUST! Left there totally refreshed and relaxed.

Room Tip: Side view rooms are less noisy and still have a nice view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I just returned from a wonderful week-end in Fairhaven (Bellingham). The town of Fairhaven was just charming. The sunsets were spectacular. The people we welcoming. Only one thing marred the experience - the Spa at Chrysalis Inn.

I need to say that the Spa itself was nice - if a little overcrowded. My craniosacral massage with Laya was incredible (and the only reason that I gave it two, not one, star).

So, what's the problem? It came with payment. Now, I am totally open to feedback telling me that it's me that's misunderstanding their prices. I'm actually asking for that feedback. The only feedback I received was from the girls at the front desk (and the Manager, who never appeared but was directing their response from some back office). That feedback was "This is one of our MOST popular treatments and NO ONE, EVER, has misunderstood the pricing". The quotation marks and the emphasis there is exactly how it was repeatedly said to me. So, here's what's online (and in their printed brochure) -

Tropical Oasis Massage & Scalp Treatment•
Enjoy the healing properties of locally owned Barlean’s 100% organic island fresh coconut oil in your full body massage. Well known for many health benefits, coconut oil is used in traditional medicine around the world. Your experience continues after your massage with a luxurious heated coconut oil scalp treatment adding essential proteins to damaged hair.

90/120 Minutes $145/$190

Okay, so, I booked the 90 minute treatment for my daugher. I was billed for the "Tropical Oasis 90 min Massage Plus Scalp" (please note the change in verbage from their online/brochure "Massage AND Scalp" to their invoiced "Massage PLUS Scalp" - its an important distinction and one which I pointed out but which they didn't seem to understand).

I was charged $190. When I said that I'd booked the 90 minute Tropical Oasis Massage "&" Scalp Treatment - not the 120 minute treatment, I was told that the Tropical Oasis IS a 90 minute massage AND a 30 minute scalp treatment. When I asked what the 90 minute/$145 version was I was told that there really is no such thing.

Bear with me here, I'm still confused, really. I asked, what is the 90 minute/$145 treatment then? Well, there really is no 90 minute treatment. The "Tropical Oasis" is essentially a swedish massage and what makes it the "Tropical Oasis" is the scalp treatment. So, I said, why do you have a 90 minute/$145 option showing when it really isn't available - i.e. if you book the "Tropical Oasis" you get the massage and the scalp for $190. There is no $145 version. Everybody, but everybody, who ever books this treatment knows this, apparently. I'm the only one who has EVER questioned why they booked me in for a published 90 minute treatment for $145 and was then, after the fact, charged for a 120 minute treatment at $190. Just me.

When I pointed out that, perhaps, if there was no such thing as a 90 minute/$145 treatment available, they should remove that from their brochures, I was again admonished and told that there was no need to remove that first option because, everyone understood there is only the $190 option actually available, silly me. What?

I rely heavily on Trip Advisor and other review sites. I read a few negative reviews about the Spa here - most involving misunderstandings (ALWAYS on the part of the customer) re: pricing and package inclusions. I chose to ignore them. All I can do here is tell you my experience and open myself up to you telling me that I'm totally in the wrong. At the end of the day, we all make our own call. I'm just sorry that I didn't pay more attention to the negatives and I now feel I've done the best I can do to help others. Thanks for listening.

p.s. After a lengthy discussion with the non-appearing manager, the front desk girl did eventually return and, exceedingly grudgingly and with many, many comments about it being "a one-off, first time EVER gesture", refund me $28.50, I noticed on my revised invoice that the $28.50 credit was annoted "guest unhappy". Um, note to Chyrsalis - guest still unhappy...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Laguna Niguel, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Beautiful Inn with great sunset views unfortunately it's located right next to the train tracks. We popped for a corner suite on the top floor (#305) and even with the earplugs they provided and the sound machine we purchased for our stay we found it difficult to sleep. They had a small sign at the check in counter that read "Occasional brief train noise"... however, that was not the case. At night the train traffic was pretty heavy with passenger, freight and coal trains (100 cars or more) passing thru sometimes hourly (some honking some not). The room/suite was tired and in need of updating (painting, furniture, blinds, etc). Carpets in the bedroom were soiled with either red wine or blood and should have really been replaced or cleaned properly. Our stay was disappointing and definitely not what we expected for the price.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed two nights in a side room, which minimized any train noise, and had a delightful time. The staff was flexible and attentive. The happy hour snack in the bar was a taste explosion with interesting, inexpensive drink choices available. Our dinner at Fino was among the best eating experiences in our 43 years of marriage! Our waiter (Sam) was knowledgeable, engaging and watchful without hovering. The massages (Thanks Rainy and Steven) were well worth the price and completely relaxing. We added a golf package at the Bellingham Golf and Country Club ( a private course) and were treated like full members. However, it is a tough course. Make sure you spend time in Fairhaven and eat at least one meal at the Asian Bistro. Go to Chrysalis, ignore the cost for this lifetime treat!

Room Tip: Side room, not rooms fronting the bay. That avoids some of the train noise.
Lynden, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

This is my favorite place to relax and unwind. Every treatment from the pedicures, facials, or massages have been heavenly. The steam room is perfect way to prepare for your treatment. Go early and spend some time relaxing prior to your appointment.

• Stayed May 2012
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 days. Our room was great! We had a side room with a window seat and could look out on the water. It was so nice to be able to walk the boardwalk to the park at the end and get coffee in the cafe there. We had use of the parking garage and just had to step in the elevator to go down to our car. The train did not bother us at all. The $6 breakfast buffet was well worth it. We came away stuffed. We did not eat lunch or dinner there only because it was a little fancy for our limited diets. Instead we went into town. Our king bed was comfy. The staff was friendly and helpful. We used this as a base for a trip to Mt. Baker, whale watching and Vancouver, B.C. The town of Fairhaven had some nice restaurants. Also the main town of Bellingham. We did not use the spa as we were too busy seeing the sights. I would recommend this place and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: South side, room 317.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Chrysalis Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!