“While an Excellent Facility the Train in the Night Will be AWFUL” 5 of 5 stars

The Chrysalis Inn & Spa
804 10th Street, Bellingham, WA 98225   |
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Bellingham
Independence, Missouri
“While an Excellent Facility the Train in the Night Will be AWFUL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

There is so much nice words to write about the staff, the steam rooms, the restaurant, the $6 breakfast buffet, the firm bed. Would definitely stay here again, BUT not on the bay--which is the railroad--side! I would stay on the street side. Sadly for the facility they have no control of the trains that seem for some reason to mostly travel in the dark when sleeping might be done. So, if you stay here, be warned. Bring honest to God audiologist earplugs not the tiny foam things if you wish a bay side room. As for us, we plan to stay street-side and enjoy the bay with a drink after dinner and the dinner!

Room Tip: Rated the sleep quality as poor due to the train and our failure to bring our "official" e...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Sadly, we only spent one night. It was a delight. Great location. Beautiful views. Delicious breakfast. We walked the Boardwalk behind the Hotel to a delightful park.
The window seat is a nice touch. Beautiful sunset vistas. We even picked Blackberries on thr grounds. We are eager to return for an extended stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Metamora, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We loved the beautiful setting overlooking the water. The staff was courteous and pleasant. The food was excellent. Fairhaven is only a short walk with lots of shops and restaurants. There are lots of hiking opportunities nearby. I must have hit the spa on an off day. I paid for a 90minute deep tissue massage, what I got was a "spot massage". I would go back to the hotel, but never for their spa!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the water. The "side view rooms" are disappointing.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
bellingham wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Lovely-stylish rooms-welcoming atmosphere-spectacular views-fabulous spa-wonderful buffet breakfast included in room rate-you can walk to
lovely Fairhaven village with it's shops and restaurants-or take Taylor dock and pier walk to a waterfront park-on Saturdays walk to the
Bellingham public market-or watch the Alaska Ferry come and go from
your cozy room-or walk or bike up charming South Hill-I give Chrysalis Inn & spa-this is my most favorite Inn in the world!!!!!

Room Tip: Get the full waterview room-it is soooo worth it!!!In spring and summer the sunsets last for hours...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is a nice little getaway! The spa is the main highlight of this hotel. I have tried a few of the services and most are great! The treatments that I would not do again are the Couple Rasoul Mud Treatment and the Hydrotherapy Massage add on. Both were a little awkward honestly. The Eucalyptus Steam room is great as well the waiting room is quite serene so go at least half an hour early than they tell you to and enjoy.

Shopping in Fairhaven is great! Boutiques and restaurants all within walking distance. There is also a wine tasting room and ceramic glazing studio if you have time. Also you are right on the water and there is a nice long walkers pier to enjoy.

The complimentary breakfast was well done, but I did feel the dinner menu a little pretentious and i don't believe it has changed much at all in the last few years either. A fine dining type experience, very rich and complex dishes are offered. Like chilled strawberry and prosecco soup or roasted duck confit. I have had dinner there a couple times now and I'd rather just walk to one of the many Fairhaven restaurants.

I would recommend this hotel especially if you can book one of the spa package deals they fequently offer.

Room Tip: The side ocean view rooms are a nice view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I visited this past weekend, and one year ago for our 1st and 2nd anniversaries. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous! We stayed in their deluxe room, which is their most basic, but far from what you would get in a "basic" hotel anywhere else! Our favorite things were the huge 2-person bathtub with sliding doors to keep the room nice and airy, the window seat large enough for us to both enjoy, overlooking the water, and the king size canopy bed which you just sink into. The only thing to be aware of, is that there are trains that run right by the hotel, but they make such minimal noise, it shouldn't be an issue.
We booked their whale-watching tour, which I've reviewed on San Juan Cruises, for Saturday and enjoyed their spa on Sunday. We booked the muscle and joint therapeutic soaking tub, and 2 massages each. The de-stress muscle release is absolutely amazing and really gets into those sore, tired muscles. The tropical oasis is to die for if you love coconut! After all the muscle work, we drank lemon infused water and enjoyed their amazing eucalyptus steam room. The service in the entire hotel absolutely cannot be beat. Everyone is so willing to be helpful and do things for you. We felt entirely spoiled!

Room Tip: Even their most basic rooms are amazing, so you will have an amazing room, no matter where you are b...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I remember an interview with the Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia when he was asked about his motivation for writing the song Terrapin Station. He began his answer by first saying where he was, and those words are perfect here. "I was sitting in front of a picture window over-looking the storm-lashed bay." The minute I crawled into my room's bay window, I didn't want to leave. The cushion was just the right thickness, the heat radiated from the fire just perfectly and it was an excellent place to curl up and watch football for the day. The trains were a non-issue for me.

The food was speculative at best. I know that menus change a bit, but I didn't recognize a single appetizer when I visited. I settled for chicken galantine because I recognized "chicken." I was non-plussed. Our fellow wedding guests echoed my thoughts...amazing rooms, friendly staff and "what's with the food?"

Room Tip: You gotta have a bay window into which you can curl up.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Chrysalis Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!