“Beautiful-yes! R&R-no!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
Seattle
“Beautiful-yes! R&R-no!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husand booked a stay at this property to do something special to celebrate my Birthday. It was a surprise and I didn't know I was staying here until we actually arrived. Bearing in mind that I'm a former travel agent and have stayed in numerous amazing resorts, my husband really did his research to ensure that this place would be outstanding. At first glance it was. This place sparkles like a jewel with the back drop of the ocean and a Northwest/Asian contemporary flair. The lobby was beautiful with a sweeping staircase and natural slate flooring connecting to a noted spa. The views from the lobby overlooked the water which were breathtaking as were the views from our suite.

The rooms were clean, contemporary and large and bathroom was immaculate with a 2 person soaking tub and a separate 2 person tiled shower. There were several baskets filled with optional treats you could purchase for the bath or to munch on though I was a little put off by the prices. For instance a very small tin of gummy bears was $7.05. We were looking forward to using the complementary eucalyptis steam room in the spa until we found out that there was 2 separate steam rooms for men and women so we couldn't use it together. We were also disappointed when we discovered this place doesn't have a hot tub.

As some of the other reviews have mentioned this place is built right next to an operating railroad. The trains run often and they are loud-thus the complementary earplugs on each nightstand by the bed. Apparently there is less noise if you stay on the sides of the resort instead of the back but then you don't get the amazing view. My biggest complaint was the bed. In all of my travels, this bed by far, was the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in. It had no cushiness to it at all and it raised up on the opposite side of the heavier person laying on the bed. So in a sense I was somewhat at a slant angeld ever so slightly toward my husband. At 2 AM I spoke with the front desk, who were very nice and sympathetic, and they gave me bedding to try sleeping on the window seat. It was slighly better and I still ended up getting only a few hours of sleep. When I spoke to the front desk in the morning they again were sympathetic but said they were surprised because normally people comment on how comfortable the beds are. He wondered if maybe we had a broken slat on the platform and said they would take a look after we checked out.
Lastly, we had paid an additionally 6.00 per person to have the breakfast buffet in the lobby restaurant. It was basically scrambled eggs, country style potatos, toast your own(Sara Lee type) bagels, muffins, sweet breads, granola, yogurt, cereal, coffee and juices. They ALMOST made it but missed the mark. If there would've been some sort of meat-like ham or bacon, and better bagels this really could've been memorable and would've been a way better presentation of a buffet breakfast. I will say though that the eggs were outstanding, mixed with herbs and ham-complements to the chef.
This place would've been outstanding had it not been right next to the train tracks and had the bed been more comfortable. When you go to a Spa/Bed and Breakfast you imagine a haven of peace and quiet, a place to recharge. This was not that. This is a great place for the business traveler or out of towner that would like a beautiful place to stay that is close to town and the water. I felt that 289.00 was too much to pay considering all facets. I felt like a more accurate pricepoint for the location factors should've been around 199.00 to 225.00 for the Suite. Kudos to the staff though who were extremely nice and genuinely attentive in every way. I don't think I've ever come across a nicer staff at a hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms across the back facing the ocean are magnificent however the train noise is incredibly loud. S...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Went here with my wife for a birthday/Valentines day. We had a wonderful time. The location is great with views of the bay, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the spa was great. The steam room was worth mentioning on it own because of the cleanliness as well as the change room and showers. Located in the Fairhaven area of Bellingham, there is some great little stores and restaurants that are an easy walk away. I am addressing the train since it was mentioned in the other posts. We saw the tracks but only heard the train once while we were sitting in the window seat overlooking the bay. We did not hear it at all when we went to sleep.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Langley City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We only had one night at this Hotel...it was LOVELY. We had a wonderful room with a nice spot to get cozy at the Bay Window. The fireplace was nice and toasty and the food and wine was excellent. We were also fortunate enough to have SPA treatments - very relaxing and tranquil.

The Hotel is on the water and offers a lovely view...the only unfavourable comment I would have to make is the trains are quite load and they go by frequently.

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

We booked this hotel at the last minute after spending the day in Bellingham and Fairhaven. We got a very reasonable rate on one of their Deluxe King Side rooms. The room and the view were spectacular. Very spacious and we loved the fireplace, King canopy bed, soaker tub, and rock wall shower. Breakfast was great as well! Very romantic getaway. As other's have said, the trains started at about 10 PM and went hourly all night, but they didn't really bother us. In fact, we found it added to the character of this historical area.

Room Tip: If you are worried about the trains, simply ask for one of the rooms furthest from the tracks.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Booked this for a birthday celebration - the west facing room was impressive - panoramic view of the Puget Sound from the room. I would say it is a luxury class room/inn with details like fireplace with remote control and window seats were beautiful. Lobby is cozy and luxurious, very nice first impressions. However, the ear plugs on the bed stand should have been our first clue that it wouldn't be a serene night. The trains started around 10 or 11 PM and continued for what seemed hourly (seemed like more) and continued all night. The tracks are so close that the vibration and sound was beyond belief. Sad to not be returning because the Inn and spa is a great home-base for activities in the area and are very very nice, except for that.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I booked the luxury corner suite and couples rhassoul spa package for my husband and myself for his Christmas gift. Upon arrival, we were greeted very warmly and chose our "scent" for the spa experience. (This is the essential oil that they add to your steam sauna, etc). I bought a bottle to take home, it was so soothing. I really like the fact that they ask how you would like your spa experience to be. For someone who experiences excruciating back problems, so many masseuses try to "fix" me and end up hurting me in the process. From the beginning of the spa package, where you relax with heated shoulder packs and lovely teas to the massage where they actually listen to you and you are given the most amazing massage ever (Thank you Christina, you are wonderful!!!!), the Chrysalis Spa experience is so exquisite. It's truly like stepping into another world.

The luxury corner suite is gorgeous. I love the window seat which overlooks the water and the two person jetted tub. Very relaxing. We enjoyed the fact that they offered comcast on demand (how many hotels offer movies on demand and you only have to pay 4.99 and not overcharge by charging $17 or more?) and were able to watch some favorite shows without having to channel surf. Room service was perfection. Fino, the hotel restaurant is a European flavor and we shared the salmon (it melted in your mouth!!) and antipasto along with a dessert sampler. We had the bottle of Italian chardonnay from the service bar and it was wonderful. I'll be buying that one for home! Our room service attendant was very pleasant and had our meal delivered in under 25 minutes. (Note: parking is also complimentary in the underground garage and there is plenty of street parking too.)

Love, love, love this place and can't wait to book it again and again!!

From

Room Tip: I'm not sure if the street side are quieter from the passing trains. The hotel does provide dis...
New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

When I work in Seattle, we like to get away on the weekends and one of our favorite places to go is the Chrysalis Inn in Bellingham. We've been going here for years and the experience has always been positive.
The hotel is on Bellingham Bay with perfect views of the water and distant islands. The architecture is very beautiful with a three story foyer. Parking is in a secure underground area and there is no parking charge. Internet is also free, as it should be everywhere.
The rooms are elegant with very comfortable beds, a large two person tub, and a fireplace. The best feature of the room might be the window seat which is big enough to lay on and just stare out the window.
The only thing that is a little odd about the room is the shoji screens that separate the bathroom from the rest of the room. Using the toilet requires closing them and then the bathroom door, so the only recommendation I would make is to enclose the toilet which would be easy to do. There is also a large shower for those that don't like nice big bathtubs.
Breakfast is included at the Fino and we had scrambled eggs with cheese which was very good, breakfast potatoes, and a nice selection of breads and fruit served buffet style.
If you love trains, you will really love the Chrysalis. The main line for BNSF goes right behind the hotel and several times a day or night you are treated to perfect views of the Amtrak Cascade or freight trains. I know that there are some people who don't like the associated noise but the hotel does provide ear plugs if you aren't fascinated by trains like I am.
The only negative comment would be the front desk people who consistantly seem either arrogant or slightly rude. We called early to see if we could check in early and were met with a response about how busy they were the previous night without checking to see if our room was actually available. They promised to call if and when it was ready.
We arrived about two o'clock and asked if we could check in and before the girl even looked to see if our room was ready she told us that check in was at 4PM. We know that, but was our room ready? It turned out that it was and we happily checked in, but perhaps a little training on politeness would be nice, or making that promised phone call when the room is ready would be great. This has happened on more than one time while staying here.
We haven't eaten at Fino for dinner recently so I can't comment on that, but Anthony's is nearby which is a nice place to eat if you are lucky enough to have a good wait person, or Silver Creek Casino's Steak House is really amazing if you are up for a 15 mile drive.
Chrysalis is definitely worth the drive up from Seattle and makes a great weekend getaway.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Chrysalis Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!