“Reason alone to visit Bellingham” 5 of 5 stars

The Chrysalis Inn & Spa
804 10th Street, Bellingham, WA 98225   |
Ranked #9 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
Houston, TX
“Reason alone to visit Bellingham”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

My husband and I spent three nights at the Chrysalis and absolutely loved it. The room was one of the best we have ever seen - large suite with beautiful views of the bay and mountains. Flat panels in both the living room and bedroom but the sights out the windows are better than anything being broadcast. There is a window seat in the living room large enough to serve as a twin bed. I had a little trouble with the train noise the first night but when we closed the windows, it wasn't bad. Waking up in the morning to watch the huge ferry crossing the bay was fabulous. We tested everything - the spa, the restaurant, the outdoor seating and have no complaints about anything.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Kirkland, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

The night we stayed the trains were "pretty bad" according to the front desk when we remarked about our lack of sleep (every 20-30 minutes throughout the night). Although this was a romantic weekend, one still needs to recharge the batteries and that is simply not possible due to the proximity of the train. No view, bathtub or amenity of any kind makes up for this feature of the property. Save your money or drive to the W in Seattle.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed a total of 3 nights (2 + 1) at the Chrysalis Inn as part of a group of 11 friends traveling together to the San Juan Islands. We'd been booked at the Inn by the trip organizer and are happy we ended up there both before and after our island adventure.
Our spacious room had a large picture window, complete with window seat, overlooking Bellingham Bay, and we never tired of watching the water, boats, and walkers/joggers/cyclists taking the South Bay Trail boardwalk. As other reviewers have mentioned, the railroad track is smack-dab next to the Inn, which thoughtfully provides earplugs next to the bed. You WILL hear trains, several per night, but how disruptive they are to your sleep is an individual thing. I took my own earplugs and was fine.
The railroad seems to be recognized in this area as the price one pays for a sea view. On a drive along the coast, we saw oceanfront mansions with the tracks nearly on their front porches. It seemed odd to us, but that's just the way it is along that part of the Washington coast.
My one complaint about our bedroom was that, like more and more upscale hotels, the bed had a too-warm duvet as the only cover. Comforters are great in an unheated ski lodge in winter, but they're MUCH too warm otherwise. There's no way to regulate one's warmth level -- you're either sweaty with the comforter or freezing with only a top sheet (if there even is a top sheet). It was not possible to turn the A/C in our room to a low enough temperature for the comforter to be, well, comfortable. Fortunately, we found extra bedding in the closet which was meant to turn the window seat into an additional bed, so we found a blanket to use, instead of the suffocating comforter. From talking to other travelers, I know I'm not the only person who needs more-adjustable bedding, so I wish hotels would pay attention to us.
(Someone once said the trick was to stick a foot out from under the duvet as a sort of radiator, but for me that results in a freezing foot and sweltering body, which isn't a solution.)
The hotel is well-placed for some interesting explorations on foot. We walked to the Sehome Arboretum, about half an hour away from the Inn, next to the campus of Western Washington University, and wandered happily around there for an hour or two, reveling in the plant and bird life. The residential neighborhood just east of the Inn features homes with bay views and fabulous gardens, well worth a stroll if you're nosy like us. Also within a couple of blocks of the Inn is the historic district of Fairhaven, with restaurants and artsy shops that we enjoyed visiting. We also took an afternoon's hike south from Fairhaven along the Interurban Trail, which is a great place to walk or bike.
We had two wonderful dinners at Fino Wine Bar, the restaurant at the Chrysalis, and we'd happily eat there again. Both the food and the wine were excellent, with wide choices available of each and friendly service, and like our room, the dining room had a great view of the bay. The room rate includes breakfast at Fino, which is a scrumptious buffet open only to guests of the Inn. We were sorry that an early flight on the last day of our stay made it impossible for us to have more that morning than a cup of coffee.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

This place was a total dream of a stay. We were celebrating our anniversary with a new Inn in a new city. It was so relaxing and comfortable,we had a hard time even going outside! The cushiony window seat was big enough for both of us to curl up on and watch the bay,the bed was ahhhhhh, the food in the restaurant was fantastic and the massages downstairs were to die for! The Chrysallis is at the top of our list for memorable stays! If you want to go for a walk,right outside your door is a walkway that it about a mile or so long. The locals come out on a summer day to walk along with you. I really think you should try this one!

Room Tip: Once in awhile rooms are available on discount hotel sites
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Mill Valley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Okay...lovely staff! Lovely corner suite! Perfect bathtub overlooking the sea! Really great robe! Sunset views! However, major issues here...noise, noise and more noise. First and foremost, the trains! A sign in the lobby says to expect some...doesn't say that 6-7 loud and long freight trains would be coming by all night long! Truly impossible to sleep. Also, we were on the 2nd floor and heard people right outside at the public walking area talking on their cell phones, to each other, etc when the trains weren't running. Lovely window seat...but you do hear the folks outside. The spa tub is wonderful for the person in it...noisy for the person not...and for neighbors! So disappointing...our wedding anniversary treat! Staff was super nice...we were supposed to stay 4 nights and left after the first without a penalty. Breakfast which was included is really delicious and generous! If only this lovely, lovely Inn was not by the trains......we could put up with the other room noises:(. Just can't recommend.....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

I went to the Chrysalis with 2 girlfriends for a relaxing spa getaway. The room was very nice and the staff very helpful. The view from the room was wonderful with the exception of the train tracks that were just feet from the building. Our first night, we were greeted by train horns every 2 hours all night long. The next two nights had fewer trains but still running all night. There was no mention of trains on the Chrysalis website. Our first hint of a problem was the small sign at the check in counter that read "Occasional Brief train noise", the second was the earplugs on the bedside table. The trains were not brief and the every 2 hours is not occasional in my book.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Kirkland, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

I deliberately waited awhile before posting this review so I was less irrate about our experience.

The hotel itself is nice and I think is best visited during sunny/warm weather so you can really enjoy the boardwalk out front.

But the people that run the place are horrible. I had spa appointments set up to surprise my husband and initially had just an hour Thai massage for myself and a 90 minute lomi lomi massage for him. I called back a week and a half before we were due to arrive to ask if I could extend mine to a 90 minute also. The spa was closed and apparently the front desk has the power to make or change spa appointments so she took care of it for me. When we actually showed up for our massages it turned out what she had done was to change my husband's 90 minute massage to a thai massage and mine was left at the one hour. My poor husband had to wait an additional 15 minutes while they changed the room and table for the massage he had actually been scheduled for. So in the end he only got a one hour massage instead of the 90 because of all of the room changeover they needed to do. The spa desk staff argued with me and implied that I never called and was trying to get away with something. I am a massage therapist so I am very familiar with the process and also scheduling software they use so this is totally unacceptable. Nevermind the fact that the customer is always right.

Also another HUGE issue is the train tracks next to the hotel. Ive stayed in hotels with trains that run nearby or next to and this was by far the worst. They run about every two hours for the entire duration of the night and honk their horns as they pass. Its extremely hard to sleep, even with earplugs.

The restaurant was also pretty funny. The food was actually very good but the service was interesting. Our waiter spent a fair amount of time hanging out at the bar with the chef chatting. Even when I had questions about the menu he never once made eye contact with me but was over the top helpful to my husband. By the look of surprise at the end of the meal when I gave him my credit card to pay for the check, I suddenly realized he had been catering to who he thought would be leaving the tip :) He treated me very differently after that.

Bottom line, the hotel itself is nice (room, building etc) but the staff and customer service issues soured our experience to the point of never returning. Ive since heard from a friend of mine who stayed there recently that she had a similar experience and is having to dispute charges she didnt incur on her bill and they are not working with her at all.

Room Tip: try for room by the road rather then train
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Chrysalis Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!