“Good value, works well for me” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Bellingham

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 Bellingham to your Saves list
Motel 6 Bellingham
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3701 Byron Street, I-5 at Exit 252, Bellingham, WA 98225   |
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Bellingham
SE Alaska
“Good value, works well for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

I've stayed at this location an estimated 8 times in the last 22 years. Like someone else said it is not the Hilton but I don't need the Hilton. It is consistent-- has not changed much over the years having had just a few minor upgrades. It is noisy if you are on the freeway side but I am usually worn out when I get there and all I want to do is take a shower and get to bed and sleep and I can do that freeway noise or not. It is convenient to the freeway so it is easy to find whatever the weather or time of day and that has been important since a lot of my trips thru there have been in Nov., Dec., and Jan.. Most importantly it is easy to get from the Motel 6 to the Alaska ferry terminal and that is the primary reason I use it. I've never had a bad experience with the staff. I usually get there late on Wed. nite- sometimes on Thursday. Then check out to catch the ferry on Friday. Never used the pool. If you want frills and plush, don't stay here. If you want a place to sleep that is EZ to find, convenient to the freeway with good access to the AK Ferry terminal this place works as well as or better than most of the others in BEL. Rooms have always been reasonably clean and a few years ago when I traveled with my old dog they were very accommodating and the area around the property is adequate for walking a pet. There's a fence between the east side of the motel and the freeway so you can trust that your dog will not be able to get too far away from you. Laundry facilities are adequate and convenient but you may need to get there early or go there late if the place has a lot of guests-- it is pretty limited for machines.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Socal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

I like to cycle from the Canadian Border down to Oregon or California for vacation and this motel is always my first stop of the trip. I like Motel 6 for this kind of trip because they're cheap and always have laundry facilities. On the other hand they tend to be near freeways and for some reason they don't provide shampoo.

This motel is the same as any of the other Motel 6's I've stayed at although I'd say if anything it's slightly above average for a Motel 6. The rooms are a bit small and noisy but as I've cycled 60+ miles from the Peace Arch I can still sleep fine. The manager is a very sweet lady. I've never checked out the pool.

This one has a Haggins across the road which is an awesome store. Check it out if you ever stay here. They also used to have a great Papa John's pizza nearby but they went out of business :-(

To summarize: This is not the best motel in the area but it is perfectly adequate for me and I consider it good value. When I'm travelling with family and staying multiple nights I stay at the Days Inn on Meridian.

• Liked — Cheap, clean, laundry
  • Disliked — Noisy
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

We just needed a place to stay for one night. I had never stayed at a Motel 6 before, so this was something new for me.

There were absolutely no extras, but the room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom looked like it had been recently renovated, and the shower was wonderful.

We arrived too late to use the pool, and it was raining, so we wouldn't have anyways, but it looked clean.

We received 10% off our meal at Ihop the next morning by showing our room receipt, so that was nice. We were also in walking distance to other restaurants, and it was easy to get on and off of I-5. Of course, we were situated right above I-5 so it was pretty noisy, but we were tired, so slept well anyways.

The staff both checking in and out were pleasant and helpful. The rate was extremely reasonable, and for one night it was fine.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — I-5
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
grants pass
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

We stayed here because it was affordable and on the way to Vancouver, BC. The hotel was clean. Check-in was easy. However, the noise from the highway side is absolutely horrible! Book a room on the "quiet" side or do not stay here. We could not sleep at all!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

In late July 2007, my husband and I stayed for a week. We chose Motel 6 because it was cheap and closer to the downtown area than some other hotels. I admit that I was a little nervous because we had read some bad online reviews, but I should not have been - our stay was just great. We had requested a room on the other side of the highway, so it was very quiet. The desk staff - Gayle and Janice - were very helpful and the housekeeping was all that anyone could want, including clean white sheets and towels every day, extra toilet paper, soap and cups. The ice machine always had ice - and we needed a lot because we kept a styrofoam cooler in our room all week. The coffee and microwave are in the lobby, not right in the room but free coffee is available every day until 10 a.m. The pool was always warm and clean and they had just spruced up the landscaping. We had a lovely stay. Give the Motel 6 in Bellingham a chance unless you want to spend a lot more for the same thing!

Nancy (West Los Angeles)

• Liked — Great value for the price.
  • Disliked — Phone receiver was a little loud.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

I have stayed at other Motel 6's so knew what to expect. I was drivng to Vancouver so needed somewhere closer to the border. Everything in Bellingham and Vancouver are very expensive but I remembered this Motel 6. The Room was $60, but since I was arriving after 11pm and leaving by 7am I figured how bad could it be? Well let me tell you. First the check in procedure makes you feel like a criminal. You talk to the barely functioning 'clerk' thru bullet proof glass. He wasn't content to just see my ID, he said he needed me to remove it from the wallet and give it to him. He then proceeded to imput almost everything from the drivers license. I travel for a living and have NEVER had anyone copy all the details off my license. He then proceeded to argue with me that I couldn't have the Senior discount cause even though AARP is honored their definition of SR is different.
As far as the room goes, it was supposed to be non smoking but had an ashtray. The light switches didn't work, there were no drinking cups, no shampoo, no waste can in the bathroom, no shelf in the bathroom. The bath towel is about the size of a washcloth and my favorite? The noise from the adjoininhg highway was deafening. I layed awake till 3 am waited till 6 am then just left. I doubt if I slept at all. Please, Please, Please stay away. It is a cheap price but not if you can't sleep, or have any basic necessities. I appreciate its a basic hotel room, but how much can you eliminate? No kleenex, cups, stopper in the bath, or garbage can. This was the worst one I have EVER stayed in.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — highway noise, lack of amenities
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix,AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2005

Stayed here in the summer and only because other nicer hotels were full. Its a step up from sleeping in the car,but just barely.

Stayed July 2005

Been to Motel 6 Bellingham? Share your experiences!