“fabulous vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Bellingham
Sulzburg
“fabulous vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

very nice hotel. located directly at the bellingham bay. georgeous sundowners. excellent , professionel and very friendly staff which try to make all your wishes to come true!!! perfectly located to start outdoor trips and trips to vancouver!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

My husband and I live in Vancouver BC and were flying out of the Bellingham airport very early one morning. So we decided we would get across the border the night before and stay near the Bellingham airport. I remembered a friend of mine had done the same and had highly recommended The Hotel Bellwether so we thought we would give it a try.

So I went online and booked The Hotel Bellwether Stay and Dine Package via their internet site. The online reservation process went well but the site did not ask me what time we wanted dinner so I had to call the hotel and make a dinner reservation when I finished making the online hotel reservation.

The directions to the hotel from the website were very precise and we easily found the beautiful resort which was located right on the shores of Bellingham Bay. There was no parking signage so we just parked in the first spot we found. The entrance into the hotel was via one automatic sliding door but at the top of the stairs there was a second door which was manual and very difficult to open with luggage. The front desk staff was very friendly and personable but we had to ask about parking and no one asked us if we wanted help with our luggage.

The room was very nice and had a beautiful view of the water. The room was well contained but we brought a bottle of wine with us to drink and as there was no wine opener in the room my husband had to go down to the front desk to get one.

We then went to the lounge for the Happy Hour and had a wonderful time. We had a table directly by the window and watched an amazing storm roll in off the water. The service was excellent even though it was quite busy and the drinks and appies were half price. The fried oysters and the mochitinis were so good we ordered seconds. The only negative were the coconut prawns were on skewers and although tasty were a little overdone and were virtually impossible to get off the skewers so you ended up with wood splinters in your mouth.

Then we went into the dining room for our dinner reservation. It was a beautiful setting, with a gorgeous view of the water however it was quite large and at 7 pm there was only one other couple in the entire restaurant so it was kind of uncomfortable.

The dinner that came with the Stay and Dine package included an appie choice by the chef, a choice from four dinner entrées and a dessert. Unfortunately, the appie choice was the coconut prawns that we previously had in the lounge and were not that impressed with the first time. We also ordered a bowl of the coconut curry seafood soup that my friend had highly recommended. She was right...it was chocked full of seafood and was quite tasty. We both then ordered the peppercorn rib eye steaks and were extremely disappointed. The steaks were quite big but very thin, overdone and not at all tender. We both only ate part of our steaks. The dessert was very good...it was a chocolate fallen cake which was very warm and yummy. The service was excellent but overall the food in the restaurant was mediocre.

We then went back to our room to return for the night. The guide on the TV showed countless channels but in many cases when my husband selected a channel he got the message "this channel is not available". My husband then phoned down to the front desk to ask about movies and he was told that they did not have any on-demand movies...only HBO.

In addition, one of the phones in our room did not work and you could not see the time on the clock radio from the other side of the bed.

Bottom line...it is a beautiful resort, in an amazing setting, with excellent service but could be a gold mine if management paid attention to the small details!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

Had to take advantage of the dollar on a little shopping trip down to Washington and booked the Hotel Bellwether after hearing about it from a friend. Both Bellingham and the Hotel were much more than we'd expected.

Our room looked out over the gorgeous Bellingham Bay and was very comfortable. We had a great dinner at the Harborside Bistro overlooking all the boats in the marina. Made us wish one of them was ours!

Got a chance to walk around downtown Bellingham and Fairhaven a bit. So charming! We'll definitely return to explore further... and maybe make friends with one of those boat owners!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010 via mobile

Fantastic stay
staff was nice and the food for room service was well presented
awsome I have gone back every year for the past 5 years

• Stayed March 2010
BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

I would rather sleep in a dumpster then stay here again. I order breakfast (omlete) in the restaraunt and when they bring my meal I ask "do I get toast with this?" they're response was "yes but you have to make it yourself over at the continental breakfast bar". Two of my clients had to cancel through no fault of there own but "I" was charged full rate for rate for their rooms. They said they could have resold them; the hotel was at less then 20% capacity. DO NOT STAY THERE. Check the local garbage dump for better accomodations.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

Upon arriving at the Hotel Bellwether I did not know what to expect after reading all the bad reviews. The check in was very quick which was nice, but it was only quick due to the fact the the young girl behind the desk didn't go over anything with me. She basically said sign this and give me the room keys. I mean I had to ask her where the parking and room she assigned is located. Once in the room we found a beautiful view of Bellingham bay, and the harbor. The rooms are pretty nice but not as nice as you would think for 200+ a night, not even a flat screen, bummer.. Overall the stay was enjoyable we liked the room and the view just topped it off for us. Other then check-in we did run in to a few other problems; the room keys didn't work on the second day of our stay (the girl that checked us in didn't realize we were staying for two nights. So the card was not set up to work the second day), the beds were a little worn, we found ourself rolling into the center of the bed in the middle of the night, and lastly the service during the breakfast was awful! NOT only where they not helpful they rushed people out of the place once it was 950 even though they close it down at 10. I am young and work in the food industry and customer service so I understand that they need to close down but these people are just RUDE! So a work of advice when at the Hotel Bellwether go down to breakfast as early as you can!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

The hotel shuttle service is unreliable and maybe non-existent. I booked a shuttle over the phone, but I ended up waiting for the shuttle in the rain when I arrived at the train station. I called the hotel from the station and they told me they had made a mistake and I should get a cab.

When arrived at the hotel, I asked them if they could reimburse me for the $16 cab fee since they had promised and booked me a free shuttle service. The hotel staff couldn't make a decision about this and I was asked to wait until the next day and speak to the manager directly. The next day, however, the manager told me he couldn't make a decision unless he spoke to the main manager. After a few hours, I checked with the manager again and was finally told that I would get reimbursed.

This small problem could have been resolved a lot better and much faster. Throughout the whole process, I received very little care and respect, and never felt like a guest in this hotel.

Hotel Bellwether needs a better management system where all managers are capable of making small decisions (similar to the one I faced) without checking with anyone. The hotel also needs a reliable shuttle service. If they cannot offer a shuttle service, they should not promise it on the phone or on their website.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Bellwether? Share your experiences!