“Perfect Christmas Getaway!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
Whidbey Island WA
“Perfect Christmas Getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

Our family Christmas celebrations were enjoyed early this year, so we decided on a nearby mini-adventure for the actual holiday. Hotel Bellwether was perfect! Our room was lovely: spacious, comfortable bed, balcony, fireplace. Views over the harbor and Bellingham Bay are wonderful. Service was impeccable and friendly. The included continental breakfast was fine, and could be supplemented by ordering an extra such as an omelet if desired.

The hotel's location is excellent for walking along and around the harbor to a lovely park across the harbor channel from the hotel. We plan to return in summer when daylight will last late into the evening (in contrast to December when sun sets so early), which will allow more time for walking and watching boats come and go from the harbor.

Because the suite guests checked out before we did, I was able to see the hotel's four suites, all lovely, including the unique Lighthouse, a 3-story accommodation with phenomenal views from the Crow's Nest on the top. (Check it out in my photos.)

As well as the restaurant in the hotel, there are several others nearby including Anthony's Hearthside and a sushi restaurant right next door, and another Anthony's about a block away.

Highly recommended!

247 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

After reading all the 1 star reviews on Trip Advisor I really wasn't sure what to expect out of our stay here. We had received a gift certificate for a one night stay at the Bellwether so regardless of what was said online, we were going.

The hotel itself is located about a 5 minute drive from downtown Bellingham. The area before you hit the hotel seems a bit industrial and undeveloped, but once you get to the waterfront it's a neat little development the hotel sits on, with restaurants and shops located right on the same property.

Check in was quick and efficient, the woman at the front desk was pleasant and welcoming. Their computer systems seemed a bit slow but that was out of their control. The front lobby has a classic charm about it, thick carpets and dark woods with incandescent lighting. Underground parking was secure, well lit, and clean with only a very short walk to the escalator.

Our room was great. We had a jacuzzi tub, gas fireplace, king sized bed, and a balcony which overlooked the water. The bathroom had an interesting feature, there was a bay window with folding shutters which you could open, I'm guessing so you could watch TV while soaking in the tub. Everything was clean and well organized, felt very cozy and there was ample towels and extra pillows.

My only complaint would be the hallways were unusually warm and stuffy, it was quite a relief every time we got back to our room (where we left the balcony door open all night to let some fresh air in). Small stuff though, all in all this was a great experience and I'd recommend it.

Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

Fantastic ocean-front room with fireplace and jacuzzi tub. Terri (at the front desk) was warm and well-informed. The hotel's restaurant was wonderful and the 'early bird' special of $17 for a 3 course meal was a great value. We felt that our rate of $160 was a wonderful value and we would strongly recommend this hotel.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

We had a nice sized room with a balcony and view of the water, king size bed, couch, desk and TV in cabinet. The bathroom has a tiled shower and a separate jacuzzi tub. We found check in and check out to be pleasant. The bed was comfortable and the bath clean.

We spent some time at the spa next door to the hotel and would highly recommend visiting them for a relaxing massage or facial. A nice treat on a relaxing stay. Parking is free and there are other nice restaurants close (Anthony's) for dinning. We enjoyed the free breakfast of eggs, meat, potatoes, fruit, etc.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Northern Brit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

Maybe I stayed in a different hotel to some of the contributors here, but I thought the place was great. My trip was business, so maybe having stayed in some rat holes, my perspective is somewhat skewed when compared to the vacation guest.
The reception staff dealt with my check in / checkout politely & efficiently. OK, yes I was asked for ID & signed forms promising not to smoke or generally trash the room, but having personally seen what a group of guests did to the Hilton in Long Beach, I have no problems with that.
The room was about 100% larger than a regular hotel room, with a superb view over the harbour. Coffee / tea making facilities, & a safe where included at no extra charge. The room had two TV’s & DVD players, a sitting area & work desk. Wireless internet was also included in the room rate. I did not check out the mini bar for mould. The room was a bit on the warm side, but the somewhat over sized air con unit took care of that. Unfortunately, this unit discharged in line directly over the bed
The bathroom had a shower & bath with a Jacuzzi function. One oddity was a set of folding shutters that allowed bathroom users & the occupants of the sitting area to inspect each other. I assume that this was to allow one to watch TV while taking a bath.
One reviewer said that the restaurant was expensive. This is true, but I found the food excellent, unlike some. Also as pointed out, there are some great eatery’s in the area, vote with your feet if you feel short changed.
Car parking was free in a secure garage. I have been charged US$15.00 / night in LA for this, & Au$30.00 in Brisbane. This is defiantly a perquisite to consider when calculating what your stay is costing.
I will definitely be staying at the Bellwether on my next trip.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

My Husband and I won a 2 night stay at a charity auction and were excited to spend our weekend at Hotel Bellwether. We were very disappointed. Luckily the money we spent on this went to charity, but I wanted to warn anyone planning on spending money here.
Firstly, the hotel was extremely warm everywhere, next there was mold in our refrigerator (which hardly should be called a fridge, as it actually was almost warm). Next, the breakfast rivaled that of a Best Western. The Holiday Inn Express has a better breakfast. There were dry muffins and some unidentifiable meat and sweaty cheese. It was half done, to put it mildly. I will say that the servers were all very friendly.
The decor of this hotel was terrible. It needs to be updated badly. It also is obvious that there previously was a pool and hot tub, turned putting green and water fountain. With not much to do at the hotel, they do have DVDs, however, they charge you $3 to "borrow" them, which I believe is ridiculous, as this is supposed to be a "luxury" hotel. I can't believe they charge you to borrow them.
Lastly, we wanted to go to dinner on Saturday night and were told the previous night that the shuttle ran 'til 9:30, however, the aloof front desk agent claimed that the shuttle didn't run that night and you "can only take it to the train station because of insurance reasons".
All and all this place is overpriced and they do nothing to go above and beyond or even meet expectations.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Pacific Northwest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

I travel extensively in the business I am in and was looking forward to a much needed relaxing stay with colleagues.

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I have had across the country. Over priced and incredibly poor customer service. Staff were bordering on rude, did nothing towards making us feel welcome and the entire experience was bordering on comical it was so dissappointing

I would not recommend this hotel nor will I ever risk such a night again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Bellwether? Share your experiences!