“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
lake stevens
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

Surprised my wife with our 15th anniversary (she says I never plan anything). The staff was friendly and accommodating. The room was not ready when we arrived which was not there fault as we were early. However, they felt we were inconvenienced and upgraded our room. The view was great. We faced out over the marina with the sound and mountains as the backdrop.

There are plenty of places to eat. The hotel has a restaurant which seamed pleasant. Anthony’s Homeport and Hearthfire Grill are next store. The Grill has the better view/patio. There are plenty of micro breweries and downtown Bellingham nice place to walk around.

Hotel Bellwether is the best place in Bellingham and can compete with most hotels in Seattle. I recommend this place especially if you can get a marina/sound view.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Bellwether this month as per a friends request as she was getting married there and I was part of the wedding party. The staff was INCREDIBLY unfriendly, I would even go as far as to say "snobby" in nature. They glared, were unhelpful, unfriendly, and even got after a friend for attempting to get coffee in the lobby as we were given coffee in our rooms (12 people for a wedding party and they wanted us to use the one coffee maker in our room). Not sure what the coffee in the lobby is for if not for customers or potential customers.

Don't even get me started on the rooms. Although Bellwether is in a beautiful location, it leaves much to be desired on the inside. BORING, nothing fancy. I was expecting a lot more for my money. The rooms were even worse, bland, not very comfortable, the air conditioner in our room wasn't even working well (in 85-90 degree weather that can be VERY miserable). A lot of people from out of town arrived an hour or so early for the wedding so that they could "get ready" and were told that they were not allowed to check in till 4. They wouldn't let anyone in even 5 minutes early! The wedding was at 5! We thought, for the money, we should be allowed (after traveling 7 hours) to take a shower, do our hair and make-up, and prepare for the wedding. According to them, this is ludicrous.

Anyway, long story short, no one made us feel welcome at all. Being as how my friends and I are a party of 25 + adults I thought that were were treated as unruly teenagers and it was more than just a little offensive. We are responsible adults, at the Bellwether to enjoy a friends wedding and willing to pay the ridiculous prices for a beautiful short vacation. It felt like more of a chore and a hassle to stay here.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We actually stayed here about 5+ years ago and had a nice enough time. Rooms were large, it was a nice setting. Unfortuantely their unhelpful service makes me never want to stay here again. 5 years ago, we were checking out of the hotel right at the required check out time and about 5-10 min before check out time, just as we were headed out the door, the front desks calls our room to ask if we are leaving yet. We thought it was odd and a bit tacky but didn't think much of it. Recenty we made a reservation for July 2009. I called to confirm that they had an infant crib available for our 19 month old. They informed me that they did, but that it was available on a first come first serve basis and that they could not guarantee that one would be available when we got here, even though we are making a reservation ahead of time. What the...???!! Fortunately we were only driving up from Seattle so it was not a deal breaker, but what if I were someone flying in from out of town and checking extra baggage for a pack and play would have been an issue? So we went ahead and booked because the Chrysalis was full. Then, the morning of our check in date, our toddler spikes a fever to 102.8. I called to see if they would cancel the reservation without a fee because it was already after their 72 hour cancellation policy. I was prepared to drag our sick screaming child 1-2 hours north to keep the reservation, but the woman on the phone graciously gave me a cancellation number and said they would waive any penalty fees and that they would call if there was a problem. I did not hear anything back from them the rest of the day. Now it is a month later and there is a charge for $209 on my credit card statement from the Hotel Bellwether. I find their service extremely crippling for an otherwise nice hotel. They have no idea what the word "hospitality" means in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
San Francisco, Ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

Attended a wedding at the Hotel Bellwether, and booked a room in the wedding block at $189. I proceed to check-in, and they tell me that they won't have rooms available until 4pm. Interesting since the wedding is at 5pm, so how are people in the wedding party supposed to get ready?

I go back down at 3pm to see if I could try to check-in a little earlier, and lucky me, I can, but the Tim the front desk manager makes it seem like he's doing me this huge favor. I receive the initial estimated cost for the room, $245. I look at it and say, this doesn't look right, all the other rooms in the party are booked at $189 which was the rate they negotiated. They look and after further review they say its a water view and I say, I'll take the $189 room that I booked, and they tell me nothing is left.

With the wedding two hours away, I don't have any option, but to take it as I'm not going to find another hotel before the wedding, and why even bring it up to the bride and groom.

To anyone staying at the Bellwether, remember to have the room price in writing via an email confirmation, rather than just a phone confirmation as they just may increase the price or find that they only have the more expensive rooms available.

As noted in the other reviews the rooms are nice, but the walls are paper thin. You can hear people opening and closing their sliding glass doors above, below, right, and left of you. Last word, the pillows are super thin and provide no head support, your better off rolling up a towel and using that as a pillow.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Paris
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

We stayed my girlfriend and i in this hotel thinking it will be a nice and a quiet place, but we was very desappointed of all ! The worst was the staff who is the least obliging that I have never seen.
For instance, we gave them a small pack of linen for the laundry in the morning (it was a little bit important for us because we came from a long trip across USA) but they gave the dirty linen back in the evening because the laundry doesn't work on saturday !!!! Why won't they tell us before ?????!!! It's not worthy of the hotel like that ! For this rate (245 dollars a night).
Some cheaper hotels has staff nicer and more careful than this one. Don't stay !!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

This hotel was a perfect overnight getaway for us during the busy last month before my military deployment. The hotel is located close to downtown Bellingham on the waterfront. The hotel and the grounds are beautiful, and the rooms are great. Service is exceptional. The value for the price is excellent. Although the hotel restaurant seemed great, we chose to eat at the nearby sushi-go-round that was as great as any we enjoyed while living in Japan. There are two other restaurants located in the same village area (Anthony's and Hearthfire) that enable you to avoid driving for dinner, which suited our relaxation needs perfectly. We found this hotel perfect for relaxing in our wonderful room with waterfront-view patio, and we enjoyed walking our dog on the trails by the water and the sailboats. We also appreciated the fact that the hotel was so quiet! Additionally, we appreciated that this hotel charges you for the room and does not 'nickel-and-dime' you for parking fees, etc. For anyone living in or traveling through the Skagit / Whatcom counties area, this is a great place to stay. We'll be back when we need a romantic weekend or just a plain escape.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Everett,WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

We chose this hotel for the spa package and it was a very quiet hotel which we enjoyed. The room was great with a fireplace and a balcony facing the marina. The bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed the whirlpool tub.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Bellwether? Share your experiences!