“Great rooms and hotel staff, argh to breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

1 Bellwether Way, Bellingham, WA 98225   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Bellingham
Phoenix, AZ
“Great rooms and hotel staff, argh to breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Would have given this hotel 5 stars were it not for an underwhelming experience at breakfast. Front desk staff were amazing--very friendly, super helpful. Room was large and clean, if a wee overpriced. Location is stunning for its view and access to nice restaurants within a short walk. But the breakfast was sub par. Food unamazing to say the least.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1Bellwether, Front Office Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
To Swampcactus,

Thank you for kind words in regard to our hotel. It is unfortunate that our restaurant was not able to satisfy your expectations. I hope to welcome you back to our property in the future. This fall we will be rolling out new menu items so do come give our restaurant another shot. We will also be starting our fall and winter promotions, which may help out those cost conscious travelers.

360.392.3178

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Olympia, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Nice accommodations. Water view is the odd numbered rooms. Gym facility is across the outdoor parking lot and minimal. Hotel is near downtown (one mile). Avoid the hotel restaurant for breakfast, service very slow. Our two buffet meals were wanting. Two menu meals were OK. Recommend the Old Town Café at 316 W Holly Street for Breakfast or lunch, you won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
To BrunoSegno,

Thank you reviewing your stay. I'm glad that you enjoyed our property. I have forwarded your concerns with the service and food to our food and beverage manager. We are currently working on developing a new fall menu, set to debut in October or November. I hope that you come and visit us again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This hotel is beautiful. Located on the water in Bellingham Bay, it has the friendliest and most accommodating staff you will find anywhere. If you have a room on the water, you won't want to leave your balcony. I have stayed on the water side before, and loved my room. In room 326, NOT on the water, it's a different story. The bed was shaped in the letter "V", so my husband and I kept rolling into each other throughout the night. Funny the first time, not so funny at 5 in the morning for the 10th time. The trains come throughout the night, making sure to blow their whistles as loud and as long as they possibly can, making me realize that the engineers must delight in waking people up. This room did have a balcony. It overlooked the front entrance, parking lot and businesses, and allowed my husband and I to hear the late night and early morning comings and goings of everyone and every vehicle. This particular room only had a light for the bar, one side of the bed, a desk and one chair. You couldn't see what was in the closet, and if one person on the wrong side of the bed wanted to read or use a nightstand, they were out of luck. I informed the hotel front desk about our issues, but with it being high season and hosting several weddings (I told you the water front was amazing!), there were no other rooms to be had. The bottom line is this hotel is amazing, but only if you get a waterside room.

Room Tip: You will love your room as long as it is waterfront.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
To Michelle C,

Thank you for bringing our attention to the issues with your room. We have since remedied the situation and now have a brand new mattress in the room you mentioned. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

The place is overpriced for what you get....not a great location. I guess if you stay in your room, and don't do much...I think if they lowered their prices by 30-50% and offer specials that would make a visitor wanting to try the place! it could help???but this is not the Waldorf but the brochure seems to want to compare it to much more upscale and better located boutique hotels. I would not go back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1Bellwether, Front Office Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
To Hanky53,

We are one of only two waterfront properties in Bellingham, WA and you chose to stay with us during our peak season, when we are at full occupancy almost every day. We do encourage our guests to book early in order to take advantage of our special deals and promotions. It is unfortunate that you were not able to take advantage of those promotions.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We have stayed here a number of times and chose it again on a recent visit to Bellingham. Once again, we enjoyed the great water views, the spacious room, the comfortable bed. The staff are very friendly and helpful, including Miri in the cafe where we had breakfast, but there seem to be too few of them. On one cool evening, we wanted to use the gas fireplace, but the pilot light was off. I ran down to the desk a couple of times and stopped a third time on my way up from the much-appreciated underground parking to ask for help with the fireplace, but the lone person at the desk was always very busy, and not wanting to wait, I eventually gave up. Though we were told our room was ready for us, when we checked in we found towels and toiletries lacking, though that was corrected immediately with a call to the desk. More staff and a bit more attention to detail would have been welcome in this rather expensive hotel, but on the whole, as in the past, we enjoyed our stay here.

To HaleyX,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I'm happy to hear that you are a return guest of ours, we love the opportunity to make those personal connections with our frequent guests. Since you last stayed, we have increased our staffing at the front desk in order to better care for our guests. I hope next time you stay, we will be able to better care for your needs.

Thank you for your continued patronage,
Powell Butte, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I cannot say enough good things about this lovely hotel. My husband and I were in town for the weekend, and chose this place. We received a complimentary upgrade to a suite, and had a view of the bay. The happy hour in the bar/grill was fun, and the food was delicious - truly, the calamari was exceptional. The front desk and bar/grill staff were prompt and courteous, and I want to single out Kaylie at the front desk for going above and beyond the call for me while checking out. There's a very nice walking path just between the hotel and the bay, which we appreciated as well. We'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Spend a few more bucks for a bay/ocean view - you'll be glad you did.
To Carolyn E,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us in June. I'm glad you were able to enjoy a complimentary upgrade, we try to do these as much as we can, based on availability. My agent Kaylie is such a sweetheart, and I am happy to learn she was able to make your experience with us that much better.

We are looking forward to your next visit,

Tampa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

One of the best hotels I have stayed at in years and highly recommend you stay there also if you are in the area. Spacious room with fireplace - food was great in the restaurant. If you are looking for a romantic time for two - this could be the place. Be sure you sign up to take "Biscuit" , (the resident hotel dog) out for a walk in the morning as she loves the attention and a good belly rub!

Room Tip: If you stay on the side of the hotel facing the Commons, be sure to get a second floor room as the v...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
To Steve H,

Thank you for taking a moment to review your stay with us mid-June. Your short and sweet review brings a smile to my face. We pride ourselves on providing unique experiences to all of our guests, and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. Biscuit is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met, and one of the best greeters in town!

I hope you stay with us again,

360.392.3100

Been to Hotel Bellwether? Share your experiences!