“Consistent Quality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Bellingham
Seattle
“Consistent Quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I have had the privilege to stay at the Bellwether at least a half dozen times in the last year or so. I've stayed in every room type on both "sides' of the hotel (water view and plaza view). The accommodations are superior. The restaurant and lounge are good values and convenient - and offer live music regularly. In addition to the hotel dining there are at least 3 quality restaurants within an easy walk of the hotel. Sometimes little things create flies in the ointment (like so much frost in the in-room freezer it is unusable); but overall this is probably the best place to stay in Bellingham proper. I highly commend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1Bellwether, Front Office Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
To ild,

Thank you for writing us this review! It sounds like you visit us often, and we are glad to have you back again and again. We strive to provide consistent quality and I am pleased that we have return visitors such as yourself. Next time you visit, please phone me directly and I will see if we can provide you with a great room at a special discounted price.

360.392.3178

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Larkspur, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We arrived for a two night stay in Bellingham to the wonderful jazz band playing in the bar. What a relaxing afternoon enjoying the music and the water setting of the hotel. Our room was quiet, we had a perfect view of the marina and the beds excellent. We had breakfast each morning at the hotel and took a whale watching trip at the suggestion of the hotel staff which was outstanding. My 11 yr old son enjoyed his "parkour" activities around the hotel so we were happy he was so engaged outside.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1Bellwether, Front Office Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
To Carrie_clb_111,

Thank you for taking a moment out of your day to write us this fantastic review! I am pleased that you enjoyed our Sunday Jazz night. Sunday is also the one day of the week where we have Happy Hour all day in the Lighthouse Bar and Grill! I hope we can welcome you back soon to our comfy beds and beautiful scenery. Call me directly and I can make sure you get a great room at a great rate.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

What I like in this hotel room is the bed. This good bed has a mattress with height and the clean bed sheets make you to sleep deeply with cool air conditioning. During sleepless nights in the summer heat, this is a healing place to stay. A wide open yacht harbor view from hotel front. You can take a seat on the sofa outside the hotel to view the full sunset. It's also quiet when we stayed there.
See my photos, the breakfast restaurant is charming. There are outdoor Jazz performances on Sunday in the summer so you can ask for them at the hotel reception.
It's a convenient place to take both Alaska and Sun Juan ferries in Bellingham. We stayed a night here to head to Mt.Baker.

Room Tip: We didn't stay a seaview room but we were pretty happy without it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
To zwavesNoriko,

Thank you for writing us this great review! I am glad you were able to relax at our property and enjoyed our Sunday Jazz. Other events to keep in mind if you plan to stay again, Wednesday is Ladies Night and Thursday is our Blues, Brews & BBQ. We hope to welcome you back! For a great deal on a room, please contact me directly and I will give you the best available rate.

Mount Vernon, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Before booking a new hotel I ususally try to read a couple of reviews, both positive and negative, about the site. Almost everything I read gave glowing reviews about the hotel accomodations but some negative remarks about the customer service. May I just say, "HUH?"

We have the most wonderful experience from top to bottom. The check in was easy and fast. Carlee was our check-in person and she was delightful. We had requested a top floor water-vew, we got it. Upon arriving in the room I noticed we only had one robe, but as I was going to call down and request another, Carlee was calling me to make sure I found the room to my satisfaction. Very nice! When I told her about the missing robe, she personally brought one up within 5 minutes. They were helpful in every possible way. The food at the Lighthouse was great, we had massages at the spa which were heavenly, and all around it was one of the best girls' vacations my daughter and I had ever been on. I will definitely go back!

Room Tip: Request a water-view room when you confirm; they do everything they can to get one for you.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Jim H, General Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. The staff at the Hotel Bellwether are focused on delivering outstanding customer service. Your comments are appreciated and provide a valuable gauge that their efforts are not going unnoticed! Thank you and we look forward to serving you and family again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

One word. Wow. We knew there were great views in Bellingham, but this hotel made everything better. From our arrangements with Trevor to our check-in and check-out with Jessica, this is one of our most memorable hotel stays in the 27 years my wife and I have traveled together. If you can stay in the lighthouse suite, it is worth every penny. Three floors of fabulous 360 views. Other great surprises: Sunday afternoon jazz on the patio with all-day happy hour, views of the marina, water and mountains; easy walking to the ports and restaurants and embarcadero park; a practice green for putting; an air-jetted tub and other amenities. Yes, we'll plan to stay again on our trip to Washington next year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HotBelle, Front Office Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
To WorldBNeal,

Thank you for taking a moment to write us this phenomenal review! We strive to provide excellent service and I am glad that Trevor and Jessica were able to make your stay that much more amazing. Our Signature Lighthouse Suite is definitely the crown jewel of the property, guests return again and again, just for the unique experience of staying in that suite. We look forward to your next stay, please call me directly for a great room and a special price, we have many more unique suites that you can try.

Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on a Sunday in July. The place is very quiet, not a lot going on except in the restaurant, which has happy hour all day on Sundays. The place is not luxurious, but is very nice. Get a water view. We looked out over the marina and a park across the way with kites flying in the summer afternoon breeze. We took a nice walk along the paved path that runs in front of the hotel. There is a surprising selection of restaurants in walking distance. Staff was friendly. The nits are as follows: squishy bed left me stiff in the morning, and general lack of detail in the hotel pointed to lax management. Wen we arrived at 3:00 in the afternoon, there were dirty dishes strewn along the hallway that had not been picked up from guests' room service. The floor of the elevator had not been vacuumed and had noticeable debris on it, and the Lighthouse restaurant service was chaotic to say the least. I had to get up twice to get a servers' attention, though the servers were apologetic and nice about it. The room has a nice jetted tub and glass walled shower, and a gas fireplace, and a smallish flat screen tv with a good cable selection. So, nice place, very nice location, but so so beds and needs better attention to the details.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
West Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I travel together at least once a month and decided to take a romantic trip to Bellingham for the weekend. We chose to stay at the Bellwether because the room we got, the Harborside Suite, had a nice view of Bellingham Bay. Unfortunately, the romance quickly turned into horror because my iPhone and iPad went missing after we returned from a night out. So instead of going sightseeing the next day, we spent the day filing a report with the Bellingham police, filling out an incident report at the front desk, and just stressing out in general. The front desk staff was sympathetic, and the general manager even came in on his day off. We left the hotel and empty-handed. For weeks following the incident, the hotel manager interviewed each of his staff members individually, while working with the police, in hopes of getting information about the missing items. We were willing to not press charges if someone confessed about taking the iPhone and iPad, but to no avail. The manager informed us that he had exhausted all his leads on the missing items. He said that this is the first report of any item being taken from a room – lucky us! It is frustrating that my iPhone and iPad could not be recovered, and I was disappointed that my request for some reimbursement was ignored. In a gesture of goodwill, we were offered a complimentary one-night stay at the hotel. After paying over $1,200 to replace my iPhone and iPad, we certainly will not be traveling any time soon. With regret, we did not put our valuables in the safe in our room. (It wasn’t like we were staying in a motel in a shady part of town!) Our advice to all travelers: use the safe in your room! That said, in terms of hotel liability, take note that the safes in hotel rooms are provided to guests merely as a “convenience”. In other words, this should not be viewed as a replacement for guest safety-deposit boxes maintained by the hotel, if available, and in no way modifies the hotel’s limitation on liability for the potential loss of guest property. When you use a safety-deposit box through the front desk, you then are legally protected under “bailment”. A bailment (not to be confused with bail) occurs when you leave personal items in the care of another person. In such situations, the hotel will be liable for the full value of the goods since they are in the hotel's custody. Using the safe in your room is not considered bailment and, therefore, the hotel is not liable for any lost or stolen goods in your room. We hope you enjoyed our sob story and legal lesson.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Bellwether? Share your experiences!