“Nice and Relaxing” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
Seattle, WA
“Nice and Relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on a Sunday in July. The place is very quiet, not a lot going on except in the restaurant, which has happy hour all day on Sundays. The place is not luxurious, but is very nice. Get a water view. We looked out over the marina and a park across the way with kites flying in the summer afternoon breeze. We took a nice walk along the paved path that runs in front of the hotel. There is a surprising selection of restaurants in walking distance. Staff was friendly. The nits are as follows: squishy bed left me stiff in the morning, and general lack of detail in the hotel pointed to lax management. Wen we arrived at 3:00 in the afternoon, there were dirty dishes strewn along the hallway that had not been picked up from guests' room service. The floor of the elevator had not been vacuumed and had noticeable debris on it, and the Lighthouse restaurant service was chaotic to say the least. I had to get up twice to get a servers' attention, though the servers were apologetic and nice about it. The room has a nice jetted tub and glass walled shower, and a gas fireplace, and a smallish flat screen tv with a good cable selection. So, nice place, very nice location, but so so beds and needs better attention to the details.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
West Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I travel together at least once a month and decided to take a romantic trip to Bellingham for the weekend. We chose to stay at the Bellwether because the room we got, the Harborside Suite, had a nice view of Bellingham Bay. Unfortunately, the romance quickly turned into horror because my iPhone and iPad went missing after we returned from a night out. So instead of going sightseeing the next day, we spent the day filing a report with the Bellingham police, filling out an incident report at the front desk, and just stressing out in general. The front desk staff was sympathetic, and the general manager even came in on his day off. We left the hotel and empty-handed. For weeks following the incident, the hotel manager interviewed each of his staff members individually, while working with the police, in hopes of getting information about the missing items. We were willing to not press charges if someone confessed about taking the iPhone and iPad, but to no avail. The manager informed us that he had exhausted all his leads on the missing items. He said that this is the first report of any item being taken from a room – lucky us! It is frustrating that my iPhone and iPad could not be recovered, and I was disappointed that my request for some reimbursement was ignored. In a gesture of goodwill, we were offered a complimentary one-night stay at the hotel. After paying over $1,200 to replace my iPhone and iPad, we certainly will not be traveling any time soon. With regret, we did not put our valuables in the safe in our room. (It wasn’t like we were staying in a motel in a shady part of town!) Our advice to all travelers: use the safe in your room! That said, in terms of hotel liability, take note that the safes in hotel rooms are provided to guests merely as a “convenience”. In other words, this should not be viewed as a replacement for guest safety-deposit boxes maintained by the hotel, if available, and in no way modifies the hotel’s limitation on liability for the potential loss of guest property. When you use a safety-deposit box through the front desk, you then are legally protected under “bailment”. A bailment (not to be confused with bail) occurs when you leave personal items in the care of another person. In such situations, the hotel will be liable for the full value of the goods since they are in the hotel's custody. Using the safe in your room is not considered bailment and, therefore, the hotel is not liable for any lost or stolen goods in your room. We hope you enjoyed our sob story and legal lesson.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We wished we had booked a few more nights stay. Our suite was perfect. The picturesque waterfront view captured our attention and was a fabulous way to enjoy in the morning from our balcony. The San Juan Islands were beautiful. The service in the bar and restaurant was friendly, attentive and the food was good. Also highly recommend the walk around the harbor. Plan on returning at some point!

• Stayed July 2013
HotBelle, Front Office Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
To Jmills19,

Thank you for writing us this amazing review! I am glad you enjoyed the room, the restaurant, and our fabulous views. We pride ourselves on our excellent service and I am pleased that is what you received. I am excited to welcome you back the next time you are in town. Please call me directly and I will make sure to get you in a great room at a special price.

Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Recently -- from June 30 - July 3, 2013 -- we had the privilege of staying at The Bellwether Hotel located on Bellingham Bay. The service, accommodations and food were fantastic. When I booked my reservation from Sarah, who learned I was on military leave, she made every effort to make my stay a complete joy. As the "Voice of the Hotel," Sarah immediately convinced me that The Bellwether was the place for us. Our room had a beautiful view overlooking the inner and outer harbor. At night the view as breathtaking. Our Premier Suite was reasonable, quiet, luxurious and comfortable. (The sound-proofing was excellent.) Sarah (The Concierge) and Mr. Haupt (The Hotel Manager) personally helped us arrange a whale-watching trip, a road trip and maps to Mt. Baker and advice on local restaurants. The Bellwether Hotel features fine dining, ample underground (free) parking and convenient walking distance to local Bellingham attractions. I applaud the management of The Bellwether Hotel -- a rare jewel in the hospitality industry -- for its dedication to service, cleanliness, privacy and affordable luxury.

One thousand thanks.

CDR, James Ragonnet, USN

Room Tip: Select a room overlooking the harbor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HotBelle, Front Office Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
To James R,

Thank you for writing us this outstanding review! We try our best to provide excellent service, delicious meals, and a luxurious experience, and it appears this is what you received. I hope we can welcome you back in the future. If you were impressed with your Premier Suite, wait until you see our Signature Suites. If you call me directly, I can set you up with a special discount for a great suite.

washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed a Sunday and Monday night with a water view room. The room was excellent and the view from our deck of the harbor and the marina was great. Had food and drinks in the bar and had another view of the harbor and the city. My wife I have stayed here twice before and have always had a good experience staying at the Bellwether.

Room Tip: Choose the water view rooms they are worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HotBelle, Front Office Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
To sdhman,

Thank you for taking a moment out of your day to write us this review! I am glad you enjoy us enough to keep coming back. The view from the waterside rooms and our restaurant are unbeatable. Even on the non-water side, you will get a nice view of the city and/or Tom Glenn Plaza right outside our building. Please contact me at the number below and I will make sure you get a great room at a great rate, we look forward to your next visit.

Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We usually try for a suite on the harbor side. Been on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Rooms are nicely appointed, beds sleep quite well (my wife does not sleep well most places, but does find the beds quite comfy at the Bellwether). The restaurant has great food and a nice wine menu. The lounge is also great. There is also good eating within walking distance to the hotel. Do walk along, around the harbor to enhance your staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HotBelle, Front Office Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
To kenmosz,

Thank you for writing us the awesome review! I am pleased that enjoy our rooms, restaurant, staff, and our beautiful property. I am excited to welcome you back again, thank you for staying with us when you are in the area. If you would like, I can give you a great room at a special rate if you contact me directly.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had to take a quick trip to Bellingham. I was pleasantly surprised to see this hotel had great rates still available. It's almost Summer! Everything about our one night stay was perfect. The staff was friendly, the room was spotless, the bed was comfortable and it was so quiet we thought we were the only ones there until we saw the parking lot the next morning.
My favorite thing about this hotel, besides the water views, is the spa tub. I never bathe in hotel tubs but make an exception here. The place is spotless and the jetted tub uses air, not recycled water. A small bottle of mineral bath is even provided tub side.

Room Tip: The water views rates are worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HotBelle, Front Office Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
To WAtravelgrl,

Thank you for writing us this great review! I am pleased that you were happy with your recent stay here at the Hotel Bellwether. Our friendly staff, clean and comfortable rooms, and our fantastic views make us one of the top hotels in town. I'm glad you were able to relax during your stay in your jetted tub. We look forward to your next stay, please call me anytime and I can set you up in a great room at a great rate.

360.392.3178

Been to Hotel Bellwether? Share your experiences!