“Fantastic Experience at Hotel Bellwether” 5 of 5 stars

1 Bellwether Way, Bellingham, WA 98225   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #7 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Fantastic Experience at Hotel Bellwether”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just stayed last week at the Hotel Bellwether and could not have been happier for the experience. We showed up mid-week (no reservation) and not only did they find us a room, but they gave us their lowest rate and upgraded us to a water-side view room, when listening to our sob story of being poor teachers on spring break. The room was wonderful- luxurious king size bed, wonderful jacuzzi soaking tub and a balcony just big enough for the two of us to sit and enjoy some cocktails while watching the setting sun over the bay. And the hotel warmly accepted our two dogs. We went down to the hotel bar for their late happy hour, 8-9 pm, and found the food delicious and the bartender Karen warm, friendly and a lovely conversationalist. And Sara at the front desk was an absolute delight to work with- this girl needs a raise! All in all, a wonderful one-night stay. We are already looking forward to a return visit soon. -- C and M

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HotBelle, Front Office Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
To Craig A,

Thank you for taking the time to write us this fantastic review. I am glad you we could make your trip that much better, for you and your canine companions. I am also pleased that you enjoyed our onsite restaurant, the Lighthouse Bar and Grill, for their late night happy hour. We always strive to provide the best service and it sounds like you got it from both our desk staff and restaurant staff. Please visit us again next time you are in town. Feel free to book directly with me and I am happy to offer a special rate for a great room, just for you.

Nicolette Dixon
360.392.3178

234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We booked the Bellwether's Lighthouse Suite ($440 per night with taxes) for a weekend (late February, 2013). We arrived very late (12:30 pm) as planned. On check in, the desk clerk reiterated in no uncertain terms that this was a no smoking hotel (we don't smoke) and that absolutely no parties could be held in the Bellwether suites. We were then provided with a lengthy history of a family who (5 years earlier) had booked the suite for their child's 21st birthday and the $10K in damages that had occurred. We explained that since we were attending a funeral we had no grand parties planned and indicated by our initials at three separate entries that we understood the rules. Then we were given our key. On arrival in the room we discovered the mini-frig required defrosting and there were only two coffee cups, two wine glasses, and no silver of any sort. Clearly the no party policy was being enforced. The following day we returned to our room at 2pm to find that the suite had not yet been made up and there were no additional clean towels so that we could shower. We notified the front desk and went to luncheon at the hotel. We waited ten minutes at the restaurant reception desk and then proceeded to seat ourselves. It appeared that there was only one wait person serving the restaurant. Based on our luncheon experience we elected not to have dinner there that evening. The Bellwether commands an excellent location with magnificent views of the harbor. If its prime location could be combined with excellent service it could be the premier hotel in the city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HotBelle, Director of Sales at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to review your recent stay at our hotel. We take our reviews very seriously and I found your observations especially upsetting as I first read them. I am deeply sorry for your less than luxurious experience. Upon review of your stay and extensive discussion with each aforementioned department, I discovered several things and made many requests for change in the hotel to avoid future shortcomings. The clerk, our 11 p.m.-7 a.m. night auditor, who checked you in was with the hotel 5 years ago when the incident of vandalism took place and is especially protective of our prized Signature Lighthouse Suite; our crown jewel. Due to this incident, our check-in policy now clearly states that no parties may be held in any room and I apologize for the blunt back-story at close to 1:00 in the morning. You are always welcome to call the front desk to request more glasses and silverware be delivered to your room for small gatherings. Housekeeping has been made aware of the fridge and towel observations and will be keeping a closer eye on the temperature and status of our mini-fridges. Our prime location, as the only peninsula waterfront hotel in Bellingham, is indeed an enormous factor in our appeal to the luxury business and leisure traveler but we do our best to align the value of your stay across all departments to ensure an entirely luxurious stay in any of our 66 rooms. I invite you to return again soon and please feel free to call me directly to arrange your next stay.
Kendall | 360.392.3179 | kendall@hotelbellwether.com
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed on a weekend in March so weather wasn't perfect, but didn't matter. The hotel was very nice - we had a suite with a great view. Staff were very friendly and accommodating when we had a request. We were surprised by how empty the restaurants were given the food was quite good. Will likely return in the future. We recommend water view rooms to make the visit most enjoyable. Only one gripe -- and know this is preference - but our bed was a tad too soft for our preference.

Room Tip: Pick a suite or at least a water view room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HotBelle, Director of Sales at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay with us. We take guest reviews very seriously and act quickly to resolve any short-comings you may have experienced to ensure your next stay not only meets your needs but exceeds your best standards. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay (and the VIEW!) and welcome you to return shortly as the weather and waterfront warm up and the sun shine becomes a daily treat. The ideal mattress can attract such a wide difference of opinion and it is funny you should mention it as we have already implemented a change to, over the next 2 years, replace all of our mattresses with brand new ones. Currently, our mattresses are actually one of the biggest compliments we receive however, even with the friendliest staff, everything requires continuous improvement and we hope to improve with every visit you make to the Bellwether.
Victoria, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Bellwether for a night before flying to Hawaii from Bellingham airport. We did the park and fly package which included a 30 dollar certificate at their restaurant, parking for a week and transport to and from the airport. While the property was excellent, nice rooms, great views, awesome food at the bar/restaurant and good spa, we were left with a bit of sour taste in our mouths when we discovered that the 30$ certificate at the restaurant was only good for breakfast and while we were provided cab fare to the airport, we had to pay for our own way back. It would have been nice if this was clear up front. Nonetheless, I would recommend the property and would come back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a chance to go across the border to Bellingham for 1 night, and having been to the Hotel Bellwether about 10 yrs earlier we thought we would try it again. Overall the hotel is lovely and the attached restaurant (Lighthouse Bar & Grill) was surprisingly good. Only negative was trying to book one of their packages (North By Northwest) which none of their staff of staff at the Preferred Hotel toll-free # knew about. After 4 calls we gave up & just asked for a better rate on one of their Premier Suites which was nice as a sitting room as well. Nice view of the water and a very comfy bed and a fire-place too. Room had 2 tv's which seemed like overkill, but as sitting area has a pull-out couch if you had another person with you they could watch tv while others were in bed.

My husband went across the parking lot to the exercise area and he said it was a bit of a joke re equipment & lay-out, so if you have high expectations for that then this may not be the place for you. No pool either & as not in the Fairhaven area not that much shopping nearby, but it doesn't take long to drive there. Wi-fi worked well and a business area too. We would return, altho had we paid full price for the room, which was $230, I might have to re-consider.

Room Tip: One key tip is if you have pet allergies they have a floor, the 3rd, that isn't supposed to allo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HotBelle, Director of Sales at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay with us. We take reviews very seriously and act quickly to resolve any short-comings. We have many great seasonal and year-round packages for our guests to choose from. I have since provided the front desk with an extended explanation of the package offerings, sent to me directly from Preferred, so that subsequent guests are met with informative answers on our newer packages. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the amenities and views of the Premier Suite. Each of our 7 suites are unique and I invite you to try another the next time you are in town. The fitness facility is small but effective and we also offer discounted day passes to the local athletic club for guests who wish to swim or require additional options. We may be located out on the water but the shops in downtown Bellingham are delightful and are just 1 mile down the road; Fairhaven Village is also just 5 miles away along the water. We pride ourselves on giving our guests options, from plaza side Executive rooms to the 3 story, free standing, 900 square foot Signature Lighthouse Suite (come by for a tour!) and everything in between; we have something for every budget and occasion. Kindly contact me before your next visit to make personal arrangements.

Kendall
360-392-3179
Woodinville, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Returned for a 2nd company retreat this past January and wasn't disappointed. Free wi-fi and parking a plus. Since we needed a little extra room to spread out papers, open laptop, etc. we upgraded to a Premier suite room facing the marina and lucked out on perfect weather to watch the marine traffic come and go. I thought the rooms was a bit pricey since hotel was not full, it was in the middle of January in Bellingham, didn't include breakfast buffet, etc. but AAA discount brought it around $200/night. (We pay less than this rate in NYC at the Doubletree Times Square in January and it includes breakfast!) Too bad we weren't upgraded to a nicer room. Breakfast buffet was reasonably priced and well-stocked although waiter/chef disappeared so we had to have waitress grab him to order omelets. Didn't eat dinner in hotel restaurant but liked the fact that other restaurants/spa salon are close by too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I felt like I was living a dream when I got to Hotel Bellwether. I stayed here for 3 nights and wanted for nothing.

Lady Luck smiled on me for this trip and my accommodation was upgraded to the Owner's Suite - huge comfortable bed, shower AND bathtub, ample cupboard space, a living room with a fireplace, my own balcony and a gorgeous view of the Bay.

I loved the wooden touch of this place. It reminded me of where I lived as a child and so it was a joy to run up and down the wooden stairs during those few days.

I was initially cautious after reading about delayed hot water from another review but honestly, I had no issues. There was a sign at the sink to indicate such and it really didn't take that long (a few seconds maybe) to have warm water flowing through the pipes.

Meals at the Lighthouse Grill were a treat. I love tasty food and I guarantee that you will not be disappointed here.

For me, the most precious part of this experience was the staff who were all extremely friendly and helpful. They were kind enough to store some :o)) packages for me that had been delivered before my arrival. I will always be grateful for their hospitality.

Thank you sincerely Levi, Andrew, Jeremy, Sarah, Kevin, Karen and the rest of the staff for making my stay memorable! Hotel Bellwether is now one of my top 3 favourite hotels in the world. Looking forward to returning...Keep up the great work!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Bellwether? Share your experiences!