“Perfect get-away” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
Woodinville, Washington
“Perfect get-away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Returned for a 2nd company retreat this past January and wasn't disappointed. Free wi-fi and parking a plus. Since we needed a little extra room to spread out papers, open laptop, etc. we upgraded to a Premier suite room facing the marina and lucked out on perfect weather to watch the marine traffic come and go. I thought the rooms was a bit pricey since hotel was not full, it was in the middle of January in Bellingham, didn't include breakfast buffet, etc. but AAA discount brought it around $200/night. (We pay less than this rate in NYC at the Doubletree Times Square in January and it includes breakfast!) Too bad we weren't upgraded to a nicer room. Breakfast buffet was reasonably priced and well-stocked although waiter/chef disappeared so we had to have waitress grab him to order omelets. Didn't eat dinner in hotel restaurant but liked the fact that other restaurants/spa salon are close by too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I felt like I was living a dream when I got to Hotel Bellwether. I stayed here for 3 nights and wanted for nothing.

Lady Luck smiled on me for this trip and my accommodation was upgraded to the Owner's Suite - huge comfortable bed, shower AND bathtub, ample cupboard space, a living room with a fireplace, my own balcony and a gorgeous view of the Bay.

I loved the wooden touch of this place. It reminded me of where I lived as a child and so it was a joy to run up and down the wooden stairs during those few days.

I was initially cautious after reading about delayed hot water from another review but honestly, I had no issues. There was a sign at the sink to indicate such and it really didn't take that long (a few seconds maybe) to have warm water flowing through the pipes.

Meals at the Lighthouse Grill were a treat. I love tasty food and I guarantee that you will not be disappointed here.

For me, the most precious part of this experience was the staff who were all extremely friendly and helpful. They were kind enough to store some :o)) packages for me that had been delivered before my arrival. I will always be grateful for their hospitality.

Thank you sincerely Levi, Andrew, Jeremy, Sarah, Kevin, Karen and the rest of the staff for making my stay memorable! Hotel Bellwether is now one of my top 3 favourite hotels in the world. Looking forward to returning...Keep up the great work!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Winthrop, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and I were spending our 25th anniversary at the Bellwether in early Dec '12. Unbeknownst to us our daughter had called and ordered a bottle of champagne for our room along with a nice note. When we got to the room, the champagne was there and a note of congratuations from the staff - no acknowledgement of our daughter's having sent it and no note from her. Her credit card was charged for the bottle. We subsequently sent a letter to the hotel and have received no acknowledgement from them We'll not be there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jim H, General Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
I am sorry that my management response was not posted back in January when I was alerted of your displeasure. The management team has thoroughly gone over your concerns and have implemented procedures to ensure special welcome gifts from non-guests are processed accurately. We had some confusion on the message your daughter wanted to relay to you and was informed she would call back with further instructions. Please accept our apologies for the mishap. (From my records your daughter's further instructions were never received). I hope you will consider the Hotel Bellwether when your travels bring you to Bellingham. Our front desk staff prides themselves in providing exceptional customer service and would like the chance again to serve you with the professionalism you deserve.
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Bellwether on a Friday evening enroute to Hawaii via the Bellingham Airport. We had a lovely stay. Parking our car was a breeze, check-in was easy and the front desk person was warm, welcoming and friendly. He took care of our bags and off we went to the restaurant for dinner. Dinner, drinks, and service were perfect! Portions huge! Our waterfront room was really nice and dead quiet and I had a good night's sleep. It was a little warm though and we could not figure out how to turn down the temperature and (our fault) were too tired and lazy to call the front desk to ask. We ended up sleeping with the windows open which was just fine. Check-out...also a breeze! We understand they have a pet policy so we will be returning for sure with our well-behaved/well-travelled dog for a weekend getaway.

Thank you Hotel Bellwether!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have stayed in the past and it was great but this time we found that the hotel could use some updating. Also the staff was not very helpful or friendly. Still a nice stay but bit pricey for the condition of hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here this past weekend and was not impressed for the price I paid. That being said, the staff was so kind and I really want to commend them for great service.

The reason I was less than impressed was because my water view pricetag only paid for a bottom floor view of the marina. (I requested a top floor room, but they didn't have any left. The water view price should not have been attached to the room I stayed in, in my opinion.) Also, the furniture was in worn condition, the bedspring portion of the mattress was stained without being covered by a sheet and there was an off odor to the room. The hotel breakfast looked to be pretty minimal and cost $10 so we drove to Old Town Cafe instead. It was delicious!

The good: the staff was very friendly, each room has a gas fireplace, and the towels and linens were comfy. Additionally, the all-day happy hour in the restaurant/bar on Sunday allowed for great snacks and cocktails and was accompanied by live jazz music.

This hotel doesn't have a hot tub or pool. The room is equipped with jetted tub, but it would be nice to relax in a hot tub with a travel partner. The spa nearest to this hotel gets horrible reviews, which is unfortunate. I had initially intended to stay at the Chrysalis Inn and Spa so I could have an all-inclusive stay that included massage, but a friend who stayed there cautioned against it due to the many trains that rumble by all night long. After reading reviews, I could see that she wasn't alone in her experience.

I know choice lodging options in Bellingham are few and far between, but I think I'll take my chances and try the Best Western by the Bellis Fair Mall next time for half the price (and a hot tub). If you do stay here though, and have the time, ask for a tour of the lighthouse suite. It's over $400 a night, so not an option for lodging for most, but the 360 degree views from the top are beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor away from the elevator if you're on the water side. The best views would be...
Sammamish, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We've returned to the Bellwether three times now for the comfort, location to WWU and city, and relaxing Marina setting.Each time the front desk help has been exceptional. The rooms are large and we've always enjoyed the water view from the balcony. The only criticism is that the rooms are showing signs of wear and tear. The showers could use new tiles/grout and some of the woodwork needs "touched up". That said, we are already planning our next stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HotBelle, Director of Sales at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. It’s that time of year to renovated and renew, so thank you for the heads up on the showers! We are pleased to have you returning again soon!

Been to Hotel Bellwether? Share your experiences!