“Bellingham, WA” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Bellingham
Dixon, CA
“Bellingham, WA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The views from this hotel are fabulous. The staff are courteous and helpful. Our room was on the 3rd floor with a great view of the bay and marina. The bedding was crisp, clean and soooo comfortable. We enjoyed our stay and will definitely retu.rn

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

The Bellwether is a pleasant hotel, quite new and fresh, with an excellent location. The lobby, rooms and restaurant are well appointed. My room, No. 120, facing the parking lot, was very quiet and dark at night, allowing a good night's sleep. The bathroom was very clean with a well made tile shower. The hotel is located on the water and is close to a pleasure boat marina, with lovely views. I had dinner and breakfast at the restaurant, and the food was well prepared. The service at dinner was good, but at breakfast it was spotty. The front desk service was prompt, efficient, helpful and cordial. This is not a luxury hotel, but is a good place to stay for business or with a family. I recommend it.

Room Tip: Request a room on the water view side of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kenmore, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I want to extend a big thank you to Hotel Bellwether's staff for their efforts to help make my son and daughter-in-law's wedding the success it was. On a very busy weekend in Bellingham the rooming coordinator, Erin, managed to find 25 rooms for everyone in the bridal party, family and friends who needed rooms. Working together, she was able to accomodate all my requests to match room types with specific guest needs which was quite an accomplishment.

The front desk staff was friendly, understanding and responsive and tried to get everyone checked in as early as possible on rehearsal and wedding days so the guests could prepare for the different festivities.

The rooms were all very nicely appointed, with very comfortable beds and linens and the bathrooms had nice soft fluffy towels. I heard multiple comments on how beautiful the views were from the waterfront rooms.

All the food - from the restaurant meals, reception dinner and catered breakfast was delicious and beautifully presented.

The event coordinators, Annika, Chris and Hollie, were very attentive and did what they could to assure that things went well, even if it meant having to move our cocktail reception at the last minute inside due to weather conditions.

The banquet captain, Jack, head bartender, Braeden, as well as the set-up and take-down staff were well organized and efficient and did their part to make the wedding ceremony, reception and dinner run smoothly and therefore a fun event.

Room Tip: The Bellwether Suite works wonderfully as a hospitality room. It has a separate bedroom and a large...
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Given the glowing reviews I read about this place, I guess I was expecting a bit more. The hotel itself is very pretty, the rooms are nice and the waterfront location is quiet and scenic. The staff, however, could use a bit more customer service training. With the exception of one front-desk girl, the staff were unhelpful and not particularly friendly. If you ask for assistance/recommendations about things in the area, they are also a bit lacking and not particularly knowledgeable. Our waitress for breakfast in the restaurant was about as charming as a tumbleweed. It's a shame, you'd expect better behavior from the staff.

Keep in mind that you are a long walk from town, so most likely you'll need to drive if you want to head downtown (you could walk, but it's not a particularly nice walk along busy roads). Not necesarily a bad thing, but just something to note. The waterfront area is great, there's a nice running/walking path out front of the hotel that takes you around the marina. This hotel is very focused popular for weddings and other events, so if you're thinking about enjoying the nice patio overlooking the water on a weekend night, there's probably an event happening there. The hotel gym is very small, but it's better than nothing. It happened to be closed the entire weekend we were there.

There are a few restaurants within walking distance, but nothing to rave about--Anthony's chain-style restaurants and an Italian place that looked Holiday Inn-ish. You're better off getting in your car and going into town for a better selection.

There are limited places to stay in the area at this quality level, so I'm not sure what the alternative to this hotel is, but I'd find one if I ever go back to the area. I do commend them on the coffee they have in the lobby, bright and early at 6--can't remember the brand but it was awesome.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jim H, General Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We take your impression of the staff and property very seriously. It was hard to read your review when our recent guest comments have been so glowing, as you noted in your comments. The Hotel Bellwether’s entire team prides themselves in providing exceptional service with a warm-personal touch. Most guests rave about our scenic waterfront location and welcoming staff. We strive to offer excellent service to each guest that we have the privilege to serve in the hotel or restaurant. We are fortunate to offer several well-respected dining venues in our complex, including our own waterfront Ligthhouse Bar & Grill. Your reference to Guiseppe’s didn’t make sense. Mr. Guiseppe has been recognized for his rich European interior design and appealing northern Italian cuisine. Yes, the storefront could be more attractive. Our fitness gym was out of order due to a move to larger location that will open this weekend. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you and I hope that when your travels bring you back to Bellingham that you consider joining us again as a guest of the Hotel Bellwether.
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

From the first inquiry to the last inquiry we were disappointed with the hotel and staff. We booked a package and it was always unclear as to what exactly was included and I had to phone back to clarify. When we checked in the girls at the front desk informed us that a spa gift card was not include but after we looked again at their website we found that it was included and my wife had to go fight for it. There was to be a round of golf included and even after I phoned 'Erin' back to confirm my tee time, when I arrived at the course they had never heard of me, told me they would never book a single, had women's day on the morning I was supposedly booked and wanted me to pay the golf course directly. I had to sort it out and eventually they got me out on the course an hour late. Never saw my golf welcome gift? There was a series of things like this that made us decide we would never go back. The manager just apologized and made no effort to compensate and in fact I was pretty sure in fact she was not being truthful about the golf booking. Not good. Too bad as there isn't much in Bellingham and this is a nice spot but they need to get their act together.

Room Tip: 213 is a cool room as it is kind of like two rooms really, two full baths, etc
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Erin C, Front Office Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. I deeply regret that your stay was nothing less than perfect. It’s our goal to make each guest’s stay with us relaxing and memorable. This includes providing the proper elements for each unique package we offer. I have personally taken the steps with our participating businesses to make sure that each party is on the same page for benefit of our guest. I have also begun extensive training with the hotel staff regarding package elements and how critical it is to have them ready to go at check-in. I personally take full responsibility that your stay with us was a let down. I would like to offer a special rate on the hotel if you decide to give us another chance. It would be our pleasure to truly impress you with what we can offer at Hotel Bellwether.

Best Regards,
Erin Cross
Front Office Manager
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hotel Bellwether by chance. We had reservations at the Best Western Lakeway Inn because they allow pets and we had stayed there before with no problems. However, upon arrival the pet room seemed to have an odor, so we told them we needed something different. The staff was very understanding but they were full, so they sent us across town to a Quality Inn. Big mistake—the desk person there was polite, but the room was worn, carpet stained, furniture old, and the towels thin. It was late and we were tired, so we didn’t try to find something else and went out for a nice dinner in the harbor area. Afterward as we were walking our dog along the marina, we struck up a conversation with other dog owners and discovered that the Hotel Bellwether allows dogs. We walked up to the lobby to inquire about availability, and were greeted by friendly desk personnel. Luckily they had a room with a water view and we moved to this hotel from the other one. Yes, it cost much more. But it was worth it! The room was beautifully decorated, spacious, had a large bathroom, great bed, and a fabulous view of the bay and islands. It didn’t smell like a “pet room” either. It also had secure parking. Next time we’re not going to try to save a buck, we’re going back to the Bellwether. You truly do get what you pay for.

(I have never rated hotels on Trip Advisor before, but I use it all the time. So I’m going to start adding my opinion to this great website.)

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our company held a seminar here on Aug 2012. We only have great things to say about the staff of The Bellwether. They were efficient, friendly, accommodating, and very professional. Renee was our event manager and she was very organized, detailed, and made sure everything ran smoothly and went according to plan. She was truly a great pleasure to work with, and the event was a complete success. We would totally do it all over again!!

The location of the hotel is PERFECT. A nice couple, who attended our event, told us they actually arrived by boat from Vancouver Island--about a 3-4hr boat ride!

The room accommodations were sublime!!! The views were to die for. The speaker for our event stayed in a suite and loved the experience so much, he actually changed his travel schedule just so he could extend his stay at the hotel.

No matter what sort of trip you are planning, you are SURE to have a memorable experience at The Bellwether. It is truly a first class hotel and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Bellwether? Share your experiences!