“Always wanted to stay here, glad I finally did! Worth the wait.” 5 of 5 stars

1 Bellwether Way, Bellingham, WA 98225   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Bellingham
Vancouver, Canada
“Always wanted to stay here, glad I finally did! Worth the wait.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

We booked directly with the hotel over the phone and I had a lovely host explain the different rooms. I booked a waterfront room for my husband and I for Mother's Day. Upon arrival we were informed we had been given an upgrade. That made my day! We had what I think is called Executive Waterfront Suite (room 205 I think). It was superb. Two flat screens,a jacuzzi tub big enough for two, fireplace, bar, amazingly huge super sized King bed (which was comfortable beyond a description), and even had a gentleman's dressing rack. The desk was perfect for my husband's business requirements. This suite had a sitting area and a sleeping area. The bathroom had everything one needs. The view was spectacular! I felt like I could touch the yachts I was so close to the marina. The grounds of the hotel have a well maintained putting green with putters and golf balls and is a fun way to spend a few minutes. The restaurant was nice and my husband enjoyed a leisurely breakfast. I suppose if you're on business, I would just order room service, because the breakfast is not fast paced. I am greatful for this as I love to relax at hotels and this one made me completely relaxed. I can't wait to return to this fabulous property. Free parking was appreciated.

Room Tip: Waterfront is worth the money.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Erin C, Front Office Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, May 19, 2012
On behalf of the entire staff of the Hotel Bellwether we are ecstatic that you had a great stay with us! I’m happy you enjoyed your upgrade and got to enjoy the magnificent view the Harbor has to offer. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Erin Cross
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
McAllen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

The Hotel Bellwether is a more upscale hotel with very nice rooms. There are several very good resturants within walking distance. Many rooms have a view of the harbor and beautiful susnsets over Bellingham Bay. If you are looking for nice and comfortable accomodations and don't mind paying a little extra, stay here.
Conference rooms are also nice if you are going to have a business meeting.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Bellingham Bay.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Trip Advisor Response
May 19th
‘Very Nice and Terrific..’

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I’m glad you have a great stay with us and enjoyed the scenery around the Hotel. We hope to see you again in the future.

Erin Cross
Front Office Manager
Eagle, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Was anxious to visit the Bellwether with it's new GM. The staff was extremely courteous, acutely accommodating and well mannered. Every staff person I encountered including the maid service acknowledged me politely and with a warm smile. Stayed in a corner suite, which was well appointed, spacious, clean and very comfortable. Enjoyed a spectacular view and a quiet restful night. The facility is pet friendly and was even offered a bed & bowl for my dog. I understand there have been some "misgivings" in the past and fully believe all is on the mend. A beautiful setting in a great harbor location. A very enjoyable experience! Looking forward to a return stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We were so excited to stay at this high price luxury hotel. That was until we arrived in our joined suite.
We have a king size headboard and a queen sized bed. The fold out bed was horrible and was refused twice to have a comforter. The first two nights I fell asleep shivering with only a sheet on my body and a poor excuce for a blanket that was delivered after complaining. It's seriously scary to think this hotel does not have one extra comforter...imagine what your sleeping on. The filthy rooms make it so you don't even want to go outside and try to enjoy the surroundings. My parents have never seen anything like this. We would have been better off at a econo lodge. What a joke. I stay in hotels for work all the time and this is the first I have ever wrote a review.

Came back to filthy rooms believe it or not wet towels still on the floor balled up on a chair with my so called blanket. Ice left melted in the ice bucket and the list goes on.

The staff, bar, bath tub and view was nice but will not be returning to this hotel ever.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Jim H, General Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
I was alarmed to read your post today. Our staff has been recognized for going beyond the norm to ensure all our guests are enjoying their stay. I am the new GM for the property, and sorry we didn't get a chance to meet during your stay. I can assure you the items you pointed out will be attended to immediately. We were recently awarded #3 Best Luxury Hotel in the Northwest by Evening Magazine and do not take this honor lightly. If your future travels bring you to Bellingham, I welcome you to contact me directly so you can experience the Hotel Bellwether in the fashion that we strive daily to achieve with all our guests.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

The stay was outstanding. My wife and I stayed in the Lighthouse Suite and it was fabulous. The view and originality of turning a Lighthouse into a Suite is amazing. The staff bent over backwards to make our stay memorable. From the first call to checkout! Ask for Teri when you call. Her service is second to none.

• Stayed May 2012
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I stay at the hotel Bellwether frequently because I travel with a dog, and so few decent hotels in bellingham allow dogs.

I don't think the rooms are air conditioned, which is usually not a problem in Bellingham, but can be a problem on the higher floors especially on a particularly warm day.

The rooms are generally comfortable, but the decor is tired (think 70's-80's). The televisions are not only not HD flat screens, they're not even flat panel. They also must date back to the 70's-80's, and are so worn, they are very difficult to watch. The restaurant/bar closes very early (last call is at 9:30pm).

The water views are really nice, and the service/staff is accommodating. The location is good. There is a nicer hotel in the area that allows dogs (the Chrysalis), but this hotel is faced with the problem of being located practically on the train tracks. If the Bellwether wanted to compete with them, they could renew their decor and really blow the Chrysalis out of the water. The problem with Bellingham is that seasonal demand for rooms is so high, the hotels don't have much of an incentive to compete. For this reason, I've started to plan not to spend the night in town as much as possible.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Britton B, Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We do have air conditioning in all of our rooms. Our closing time in the lounge is 10:00pm on weekdays and 11:00pm on the weekends. I apologize if the staff called last call too early during your visit. We will discuss this with the staff. As for the televisions, you will be pleased to know that earlier this year we put flat screen televisions in all of our rooms on the water side with plans to budget for flat screen televisions on the plaza side soon. Thank you again for taking the time to comment. We hope to see you and your four-legged friend here again soon!

Britton Braswell
Hotel Manager
Telluride, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

A wonderful hotel to stay in. Just 5 minutes from the airport, clean, quiet and romantic

Room Tip: get a room above the second floor to see the harbor and the beautiful view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Bellwether? Share your experiences!