“Northern Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fall City
“Northern Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

My farthest trip up north in Washington was worth it because of Hotel Bellwether. Amazing location on the harbor. I was given an upgrade at check-in to a room larger than I needed. The clerks were friendly and gave me great information about the area. This will be the place to stay each time.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Hotel Bellwether is a very nice place to stay. It's located approximately 10 blocks and the length of the road leading to the hotel from the center of Bellingham. My husband and I took advantage of the Kayak.com price for $150/night for our Sunday evening stay which ended up placing us on the 1st floor facing the parking lot. Perhaps if we had paid more and booked directly w/ the hotel we could have enjoyed a water view. The room itself was spacious with a very nice bathroom (separate shower & jetted tub). The hotel is at the end of a business developing area with a handful of restaurants on it, a salon and gift stores along w/ the Coast Guard station. Downtown is where the action is though and we made the walk to/from a few times. My husband and I took Amtrak to Bellingham (train station is 5 miles away in the adjacent town of Fairhaven) then took the local bus to downtown ($1/person, 35 min transit b/c of several stops along the way) and walked to the hotel (approx 25 min). Luckily, the weather cooperated through out stay. If you are looking for something that isn't mass produced and upscale, Hotel Bellwether is for you.

Room Tip: AMTRAK train station & bus station is 4-5 miles away in Fairhaven. There is an airport in Belli...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Visited the Hotel Bellwether for an overnight stay and visit with our son attending Western Washington University. We requested a water view and received a nice upgrade to a suite. The room overlooked the water and marina. The furnishings were comfortable. enough to make for a perfect movie night with our son after enjoying dinner at Anthony's - which is just a short walk away. In the morning we walked around the pier.
The staff was very helpful and courteous. Room service was quick and the bar was helpful when I went looking for a bottle of wine and then returned for wine glasses.
The hotel is on the water and was an easy drive from WWU campus. The room rate was very reasonable - especially when considering the upgrade we received. Even though it was a holiday weekend, the hotel was not busy - which is a real shame considering the great experience we had there. While it may be a few dollars more than other hotels in the city - and I do mean just a few dollars - it was well worth the expense.

Room Tip: Ask for a king bed and water view. Half the rooms look to the city and mountains the other half to t...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

We were at the Belwether Hotel last Christmas - our fourth Christmas at the hotel.
Though we have had some problems in the past (lost Christmas dinner reservations) this was the worst, primarily dou to attitude.
We arrived Christmas day and found broken glass around the bathroom floor. They sent a person to sweep up and we requested he notify the desk that there was in fact broken glass.
Checking with the dest the next AM they said they were not aware of it but would notify manager upon his return and let us know - no response.
We also told front desk that there were lack of glasses in the room.
Then told them there were no towels left (they have note in room requesting you use towels more than one day - a 'green' thing - at this high end hotel ??
This want the problem - there were no towels left.
Also, one tissue, was in the tissue box. No additional.
Upon checking out and mentioning a couple of other disapointments the front desk told us to fill in the comment card left in the room - there was none.
We were told we should hear from the management - no resonsxe.
We did take a comment card and after not hearing from the hotel wee filled it in a couple of weeks later and mailed it to the hotel - no response for some time, then an email saying, 'we are sorry and making changes'
The same stock reply as the response to many other poor reviews.
The whole attitude from this pricey, and not worth it, hotel ii woefully inadequate.
We had booked for next Christmas - now have cancelled.
There are a lot of other locations out there that actually appreciate your business and loyalty.

Room Tip: They will not assign a requested room. You take your chances. Air conditioning is very noisy. A/C i...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

And what a birthday it was! My wonderful man reserved the lighthouse suite for my birthday! (I wish I had photos to share, but they're in print... not digital.) The lighthouse it 3 floors and it was more than home away from home. The Agent at the front desk, Erin, made our experience "home away from home"... only better. So, a HUGE thank you to Erin and the rest of the staff that made our trip what it was.

The view from the lighthouse was gorgeous, as are the rest of the facilities. Living room, 2 fire places, great lighting, master bedroom, 3 outdoor sitting areas, lovely bathroom (with a bidet and a jacuzzi).

I will not comment on the previous reviews, other than stating that the staff was there when we needed them and they were more than accommodating.

We also got massages at Zazen Spa, across the way. Zazen gives you a discount if you stay at the Hotel Bellwether. The massages were wonderful! Rebecca and Amy (our therapists) were gentle hearted and firm handed.

Room Tip: Judging by the reviews: go at a slow time of the year. As for our experience... book the lighthouse...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sedro-Woolley, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

My children gave me a gift certificate for my birthday. My partner and I were very excited to go. I know my children spent much hard earned money to pay for our deluxe top of the line room Arrogance was definitely a way to describe how we were treated. I checked in with my credit card for incidentals as they required it. They also went out of their way to let me know how they went out of their way to "upgrade us" when in actuallity they had not and the room we had is actually what my childrren had paid for. When we went to check out the girl was so busy she hardly had time to acknowledge, turns out they charged my credit card for the room, which was average. I then a week later had to call my daughter expressing that I had personally been charged for their gift, she felt terrible because it had been a gift. small TVs and scrapes on the wall and lots of wasted space. Tub not luxurient at all. If going there makes you feel special more power to you, me on the other had feel like it is all a false sense of what really matters and would never go there again.

Room Tip: for a luxury room. we felt the accomadations at home were far superior and we have a 900 square foot...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Britton B, Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Thank you for your comments. It is with our guest feedback that we can continue to grow and improve what we offer to our guests. I understand that your recent stay with us was a negative one, and that is certainly not the experience we want for our guests.

Management is personally inspecting each and every guest room and noting any updates which are needed. We are in the process of working through various updates with additional updates planned throughout the Hotel in the coming months; one of these includes the updating of the TV’s within the guest rooms.

We have reviewed with the Front Desk our service expectations and have implemented a program to ensure that this level of service is provided to each and every guest in each and every situation. I regret that your credit card was incorrectly charged, this was corrected as quickly as possible once it was brought to our attention. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Again, I do apologize that your recent experience with the Hotel Bellwether did not meet your expectations. The Hotel Bellwether is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proven to be invaluable.

Britton Braswell, Hotel Manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed here on my wedding night, we booked 8 months in advance, were told that we had a 3rd floor room with a bay view. When we arrived we were told that it was a first come first serve rooms and we were placed next to the cleaning closet at the end of the hall. Our 1st floor room was ground level, parking lot view, every car that came and went passed its headlights through our room. Needless to say they didn't care that we were not happy and I know that I will never be staying there again. I will also NEVER recommend such a expensive place when I have stayed at cheaper places, with equally comfortable furniture and much better service.

Room Tip: Dont bother trying to pick a room, not even a generous tip will get you taken care off.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Bellwether? Share your experiences!