“Very comfortable, great workout facility, pleasant stay” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #15 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
Olympia
“Very comfortable, great workout facility, pleasant stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

I wasn't expecting too much for king suite at a chain motel for under $100, but I was impressed. The bed was very comfortable, and I usually stay and fancy hotels on business. The workout facility next door (free with your stay) is huge with every weight machine you can imagine plus free weights and classes, and everything was quite clean, quiet, and operating well. We got the "junior suite", so there's a half-height partition between bedroom and sitting area and a kitchenette with fridge and microwave. Free breakfast included scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, cinnamon buns, yogurt, and all the usual hotel breakfast stuff. We didn't try to small indoor pool and spa. I figure breakfast and gym use saved us about $40, so we got the room for $56 + tax; great deal.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

163 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

I used to love this little hotel but after my recent stay I can tell you that something happened here that changed things. It is not a friendly, welcoming place. The staff are just not interested anymore, or there has been some kind of a change which has influenced the hotel, in a negative way.
I found the staff to be very offhand and rude.
This hotel is not as clean as it used to be. I am not surprised to see an entry from someone saying they got scabies nor am I surprised to see a recent entry about abysmal service with no baby crib being supplied in a timely manner.
My bedding was not clean (I do not really want to go into detail) so I reported it but they seemed not to care and it was not changed. I reported it once again politely and still no interest. The third time I was a little more assertive, asking specifically for housekeeping to please change the bed as I would not sleep in it but one hour later it had still not been changed. One more polite call (I was beginning to get a little impatient, I must say) and I asked when they would be coming with clean sheets. They did eventually come over an hour after my final call! I feel as though the staff or management really do not care one way or the other. I felt like I was putting them out by reporting a problem.
I have stayed here many times and always returned before but I truly feel that there are better options now that the hotel is not being run with customer service as a high priority.
I will never stay in this hotel again. My main priorities are clean beds,clean hotel and welcoming atmosphere. You will not find it here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Binfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

We needed somewhere to stop overnight having flown to Seattle from London. We were heading for Whistler and booked this hotel. It costs $80 for the night and our expectations were not high.
We got a room with two queen beds, microwave, coffee machine and full bathroom with all the usual amenities.
The welcome was warm and recognized the fact that my wife holds a Platinum priority card. There was no upgrade and it was a HI express after all.
Next day we got breakfast of cereal, coffee, egg bacon and fabulous cinnamon buns.
There was a pool which we did not use and free wi fi which we did. It is nice to see that free wi fi is becoming more available even if you have to go down market to get it.
Overall, fantastic value for money. It may not be a place to vacation but for a stopover it was great.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

We stayed at this HIE one night as members of a school group. It was clean and seemed relatively new, the beds were comfortable, and they had a decent-sized indoor pool and cookies at night, which seemed to be a hit among the many school math teams present at the hotel. Very good breakfast (the HIE usual plus Yami yogurt). One great plus factor was the availability of a free room service breakfast, which I haven't seen before at a HIE. It arrived later than expected, so I gave up on it and went to the busy buffet area, but when it did arrive my kids enjoyed it - it was hot, and saved us from trying to find a table with all the other math team families who were seeking an early breakfast. The room was equipped with a microwave and fridge - both were clean - and an in-room coffeemaker which was unfortunately situated in the bathroom. I was a bit leery about what to expect after reading several member reviews mentioning paper thin walls and noise - however, our first floor room near the front desk was quiet; as far as we could tell we could have been the only guests at the hotel! The hotel is conveniently located near the freeway and shopping, including Costco, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Everett, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

My husband, two sons, and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Bellingham for 2 nights in November. Overall we were very disappointed. We only paid $76/night for the room though, so I guess our expectations should have been lower. I have to say though, that I have stayed at other Holiday Inn Express locations, and this one was probably the worst of them all.
When we made our reseravation by phone, we asked if they had cribs for the baby, or if we should bring our own pack and play crib. We were assured that they did have cribs, and that it would be set up in our room upon arrival. We said that would be great because the baby would want to lay down for a rest upon arriving. When we checked in, we asked if our room had a crib. The person at the front desk said "I don't know you'll have to check". We went to our room and found no crib. My husband went back to the front desk and asked if someone could bring us a crib because the baby needed to go down for a nap. They said they would try to do it sometime. Keep in mind, they were not busy - there was 2 people behind the desk. No phones were ringing, no other travelers were in the lobby at all... but they would try to do it sometime! I guess the fact that one of the front desk workers had her daughter behind the counter that she was having to take care of, kept her from doing her work properly. We felt that was unprofessional. Her daughter was with her behind the counter all evening - everytime we walked by. We waited about an hour for the crib, and it didn't show up, so we gave up and decided to go to dinner. We stopped at the front desk and reminded the staff that we would still be needing the crib. They said "we know, we'll get to it later." We went and had dinner, and stopped at a couple of stores. We came back approx 2 and a half hours later. We went to our room, and still NO CRIB. Again, we went to the front desk, and asked if we could please get a crib, as it would be bedtime for the kid after we came back from the pool. Finally about an hour later they rolled in a metal crib on wheels. I really wish we would have been told that these cribs were from the 1980's or early, with paint chipping, and old safety standards. The bars were so far apart, that my son kept getting his legs stuck in the night. And one scary moment when his head started to go through the bars. Needless to say, he barely slept, and we didn't either. We were too nervous he would be injured in the middle of the night.
The pool was another issue. It was nice and clean, and a good temperature, but there was a group of very loud, and roudy twenty-somethings in the pool area. They were drinking alcohol. Beer bottles, wine glasses, and flasks were all over the tables and the floor. There were signs saying no food or drink in the pool area, but that went ignored by these people who obvioulsly thought that the rules didn't apply to them. I believe that someone else went and told the front desk about it, because one the workers did come into the pool area and look around, but never even said anything to this group. My son ended up not really getting to use the pool, as these people were VERY intoxicated and quite obnoxious. Not something I wanted to suject my kids to.
The next morrning, we went down the free continental breakfast. It wasn't too busy, so we found a table easily. It was rather disappointing though. The cinnamon rolls that they are "famous" for, were ROCK hard. I've never had such a stale cinnamon roll in my life. They were unedible. The Cheerios were stale as well. They had bacon, sausage, and eggs, but were all very undercooked. The second morning the breakfast was hot and fresh when there was actually any out there. There were so many people that wasn't a place to sit. That was okay, and we waited for a table to open up. The staff obviously did not expect such a big crowd, because the breakfast was completely empty! The only thing they had when we got there at about 8:45am was cereal and yogurt. No fruit, rolls, toast, bacon, eggs, sausage, anything! When they finally brought the hot food up, everyone literally RAN to go get it. People loaded their plates up, and by the time I got my kids up there to pick out breakfast, EVERYTHING was gone again. We waited for a half an hour, and finally at about 9:20am, they brought more out. Again, and stampeed. We managed to get a couple of pieces of bacon and roll to share. A couple of minutes later, everything was gone again. The breakfast was supposed to go until 10am, but that was the last time any food was brought out. In fact, at about 9:50am, they began locking up the milk and yogurt! Yes, they keep it sitting there in a little fridge locked up, because heaven forbid, you take a yogut after 9:50am in the morning. That was quite disappointing.
The other problems were : Our air conditioning in our room was broken, and didn't work. When we arrived, our son almost stepped on a thumbtack that was left in the middle of the floor. I guess that spot must have been missed with the vacuum, even though it was right in the middle of the room. Pets are allowed in this hotel. While that isn't a problem. It is a problem when people do not have their pets on a leash going through the lobby, and a large dog comes and jumps up on my son barking. He is scared of dogs, and that was very scary for him. The owner didn't even say i'm sorry! The front desk staff witnessed this, and didn't mention anything to the owner. The internet access was quite spotty in the rooms as well. Upon check out, we mentioned our issues to the front desk staff, and he just said "oh, sorry". We were disappiointed in the lack of customer service.
Overall, the stay was not good, and we will not be back.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
bellingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

We were stuck behind the Canadian Boarder and was trying to get home but we couldnt so I came to the Holiday Inn and the staff had a room for me that was just great. I had there new breakfast and it was so good. I would for sure come back soon to stay with them again.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

My wife and I stayed for two nights and ended up with a scabies infection from the room. This is a really nasty little beast and occurs when the room is not cleaned well. While the rest of the stay was OK (the maid service was a little strange), this is enough to prevent me from coming back to this hotel!

• Liked — If the room had been properly cleaned, it would have been fine.
  • Disliked — We contacted scabies from the room.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bellingham? Share your experiences!