“Nice Hotel Made Better by the Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Nice Hotel Made Better by the Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here for several nights; and really enjoyed it. The staff was always friendly and helpful; and the public areas and room were clean. Our standard king room was as it should be; everything worked, no surprises. The breakfast was very nice; biscuits and gravy, bacon, sausage, pancake mix, eggs, fruit, yogurt and their cinnamon rolls every day...nicely done. The location is also convenient; close to the shopping mall and Interstate.
There were, however, a couple annoyances. The doors do not have closers; so if you're not careful (and most guests are not) the door slams shut and rattles nearby rooms. Another small annoyance is that the elevator is painfully slow. But the pluses of the hotel, especially the staff, outweighed these small issues.
Overall, we recommend this hotel and plan to stay there again when we visit Bellingham.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the vending machines; they're noisy and next to the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HIEBellingham, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bellingham, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for leaving us such a thorough review. We are glad you found so many great things about our hotel and that you felt our staff outweighed any wrong you found. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your staff.

181 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

A little noisy ... but that was more our neighbors being inconsiderate. Biggest complaint - lots of smokers ... made it difficult to enjoy breakfast outside under gorgeous weather. I thought it was illegal to smoke to eating areas, but evidently not at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We apologize you had noisy neighbors. Our back patio is not technically a designated eating area, so smokers can be there, just not within the 25 feet of the door. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
Kamloops, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I had previously reviewed this hotel as Great Stay as Usual, so I will not repeat. Our family of 5 visit every year in June for the Baker Blast soccer tournament. The staff and the breakfast were fabulous as always. Two things that we discovered this trip...There is no laundry facility on site, so we would have to use the laundry mart a couple of blocks from the hotel. So if you are planning on doing laundry, make sure you have a few big bags with you to transport them. We also found out that there is no fitness centre on site, but the bonus is that you can use the City Gym just outside the hotel for free (needs to be at least 16 years old). It is a full facility gym so that is excellent...I would recommend the hotel staff mention this at check in:)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for coming back to leave another review, and for knowing how important reviews are to us. I will pass along to the Front Desk about mentioning the free use of the fabulous City Gym that is next door. Thank you for your return business as well.
Vernon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Way back, I believe in February, I reviewed this hotel and mentioned that when I got home it appeared that I had some type of bites in a few places on my body. That being said I had phoned the hotel to ask them to check the room. They assured me that they took the possibility of bed bugs very seriously. However, I asked them to get back to me to tell me what the outcome was (as I was concerned I may have brought bed bugs home in my luggage or clothing) and they did not contact me for almost a week. (I phoned on Sunday and no one called me back until the end of the week, on a Friday). While I think it is good that we review these hotels, I wanted to be able to go back into my review to let the public know that the manager at this hotel apologized for being so slow to respond and she also more than made up for their shortfallings. I couldn't get back into the original review to share this information so thought I would do it now. So thank you to the manager at this hotel for taking care of the problem and following through! It was greatly appreciated and I WILL stay at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HIEBellingham, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bellingham, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to come back and leave us another review. We appreciate you taking the time to voice your full experience. We are pleased you felt your issues were addressed to your satisfaction. We look forward to your next stay!
Richmond, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in a large group - 16 soccer players aged 13 & 14 years old (boys) with 4 adults chaperoning. This worked out very well for us - they put all 6 rooms on the first floor which reduced the noise we might make thumping on any guests below us. It also gave easy access to the lobby, breakfast area and pool. The boys managed to use all the amenities in the short 24 hours we were there - the pool is well set up - bright with lots of windows and right beside the lobby/front desk for access to staff if necessary. The rooms are relatively new, clean, included a fridge which we always like to have on soccer tournament weekends for water, juice and snacks. The breakfast was really good - well stocked with breads, cereals, yogurt, fruit, scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, biscuits and gravy, juices, coffee/tea and even a pancake machine! The staff were very helpful for example when the toilet was plugged in one of the rooms, or when one of the boys locked his key in the room. The billing procedure on check out was quick and accurate, even with the large group that we were. For our purposes, this hotel is very close the the Northwest Soccer Park - only about 10 - 15 minutes drive depending on the time of day. There are many fast food outlets and casual dining restaurants nearby that were suitable for our needs. We would recommend this hotel and will consider it again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a thorough review. We are glad you found so many things about us and our area to be so convenient and accommodating.
Battle Ground WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Was a quick trip into Bellingham, and only stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for 1 night. The man that checked us in (about 6pm on 6-7) was very friendly, and has great customer service. Hotel was very clean including the room! We were in a non smoking room, but we could smell that it use to be a "smoking" room. Not a big deal, but unfortunately you can't get rid of that smell of old smoke in the carpet. Not many choices in Bellingham to stay at, but I would stay at this property again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HIEBellingham, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bellingham, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I apologize you were able to smell smoke, thank you for bringing that to our attention. We will be beginning a complete renovation of all rooms, and we will then be a completely non smoking.
Port Townsend, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I've stayed at the HI Express many times when I was rotating out from the vessel. Usually I was a late arrival, but the front desk staff were always going out of their way to make sure I was checked in quickly (after 3-4 months at sea I get the burnout, tired and want to just relax, order a pizza and have a beer).

The room-Much better that a few of the other Express properties I've stayed in. Comfortable bed, clean bathroom, carpet and furnishings well maintained.

Lots of places to go to nearby-Meridian has a bunch of shops, restaurants etc. up and down the stretch so I had to flip a coin on what to eat.
Overall, a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Also thank you for your many return visits, we appreciate return guests! I am glad you find our staff so accomodating and our location so convenient!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bellingham? Share your experiences!