“Warning about this hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Bellingham
Seattle
“Warning about this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

My wife and I stayed for two nights and ended up with a scabies infection from the room. This is a really nasty little beast and occurs when the room is not cleaned well. While the rest of the stay was OK (the maid service was a little strange), this is enough to prevent me from coming back to this hotel!

• Liked — If the room had been properly cleaned, it would have been fine.
  • Disliked — We contacted scabies from the room.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

Generally, we had a good stay at this place.

Room was clean, good beds, pleasant staff, very nice breakfast...

HOWEVER, the "dirty little secret" about this place is that the walls are as thin as paper: no exaggeration.

We had no problem hearing exactly what the guy on one side was saying on his phone calls, nor every detail of the the constant, all-too-loud video game on the other side, nor the extremely noisy family (shut those brats UP, parents - other people have LIVES, too, ya know!!) in 2 rooms across the hall.

One thing that really puzzles my wife & I about Tripadvisor reviews:

why do so few people mention such noise issues?

Our experience has been that noise issues are all too frequent these days everywhere, and to many folks (like us) I bet this is definitely an issue... but few seem to mention it in their reviews.

We're realistic enough to not expect total, pristine silence in an hotel - but people just seem to be getting noisier and noisier and noisier... and new(er)-hotel walls seem to be getting thinner and thinner.

• Liked — Staff, room tidiness, breakfast
  • Disliked — Paper-thin walls
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
California, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

We spent two nights at the Holiday Inn Express. Our room was nice and clean. When we complained about a guest stomping around all night on the floor above, they moved us to the top floor. The breakfast was fine, as motel breakfasts go. Overall, we were satisfied with our stay and the service provided. We would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lower Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

Nice location, near costco too! We booked online through the Holiday Inn website. Had a room rate of $60. Was a very nice room, especially for that price. The free breakfast was nice. Staff was friendly and gave excellent dinner recomendations (Anthony's and Hearthfire, both were awesome!) I would stay here again for sure.

• Liked — Great value!
  • Disliked — The smallest pool I ever saw! Seriously it was so small it almost wasn't even there!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2008

An honest review - pom55 - Today
I really like the comfort and cleanliness of this hotel, the beds are very comfortable and I like their triple sheet system, (the beds are always fresh from top to bottom and pillows are fluffy) the shower is also amazing. The pool and hot tub is always clean and comfortable for swimming or relaxing. What I don’t like is that the prices for a room are going up $20.00 plus (up to $149.00 a night for an average double room) due to their new "hot breakfast" which is not that great. I would much rather go get a good breakfast at I-hop rather than pay another $20.00 plus a night for the Holiday Inn Express breakfast that is supposedly "free". The elevator is also always crowded in the morning due to staff and guests using the only one available, so allow extra time there. Other than that, it has been home away from home for us, but again, the price is getting a bit beyond our budget range. In all fairness, I should mention that their military discount is very decent.

• Liked — Comfort, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Elevator crowded, slow, breakfast versus price increase
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

I do not completely understand the positive reviews this place receives. Apparently, all the other hotels in Bellingham must be absolutely horrible.

I've stayed at a number of Holiday Inn Express properties and I can honestly say this place does not meet the standards I've come to expect from HI Express, especially given the 4-star price this property charged me. In fact, I've stayed in Motel 6 properties that were more pleasant at one-fourth the price.

First off, the room was not completely cleaned: the previous occupant had left some debris from a toy behind, and somehow Housekeeping managed to miss it. There was also a faint odor in the room that, while not unpleasant, did not leave me feeling comfortable. The hotel is also somewhat noisy: I could hear my neighbor's TV through the wall, and the traffic noise from the busy street below.

Additionally, the property is missing some features even a discount property has nowadays. There is no guest laundry facility, as an example. C'mon folks, even upscale hotels now have a couple of laundry machines somewhere one can use.. some even give you laundry soap for free now.

Furnishings were in some disrepair: in my room, one of the chairs was frayed and the writing table's "pull" was missing. I would expect a property priced at $50 to have some heavily-used furniture, but for one that charges well over $100/night this is atrocious.

The "Free breakfast" was also marginal. The eggs were horrible and runny, the sausage barely cooked, and the continental selections were non-existent. Again, compared to other properties in the same price range, I'd rather have a well-stocked not-hot breakfast than a bad hot one.

Again, compared to the Motel 6 on the opposite side of town, this place is comparable in quality. Which is an abomination, considering the prices they charge.

• Liked — Ease of access to freeway, local shopping
  • Disliked — Very poor value: too expensive and not high quality
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

The contrast to our experience at another facility in Bellingham last year was heartening. I had lost faith in our ability to find a safe and comfortable harbor.

I was booked for a day surgery procedure and since we live some distance from the medical center, we wanted to stay the night nearby. I had phoned three other facilities before I phoned Holiday Inn Express. We had several criteria that seemed to be difficult to have met - although none are all that unusual in my estimation. 1) I am moderately disabled from arthritis and find myself especially vulnerable when I am to have a medical procedure. I wanted a ground level room 2) We wanted a unit to which we could bring some simple food that we could keep cold and microwave when needed. Therefore, we wanted a microwave and a small refrigerator in the room. 3) We have an old (bigger than 25 pound) well behaved (in fact, perfect), dog, and do not leave him at home when we are away. I guess you could say that two of the three travelers were "special needs" types. 4) We needed internet access in the room. Holiday Inn Express Bellingham was able to meet our every need without hesitation. Because of my general anxiety about the procedure and the aftermath, I needed to feel confident and comfortable about our lodging, at least. It helped to find such cooperation from the first phone call to saying goodbye.

The team at Holiday Inn Express Bellingham were welcoming, accommodating, and competent. We arrived early in town, and decided to drive to the hotel so we would know exactly where it was located. We asked - but did not expect - to check in early to to allow us to store our bags in the room - and they graciously were able to accommodate us as a room was vacant. When we did return post procedure, it was wonderful for me to be able to just stumble in the door and collapse without having to deal with luggage.

The complimentary breakfast was phenomenal! Far more complete and tasty than any I have before experienced. They offered hot foods (cheese omelets, sausage gravy and biscuits, bacon, sausage) as well as a diverse assortment of cereals, pastries, yogurt, juice, coffee and tea. The food was well prepared, high quality well attended, and actually tasty. So nice on a cold stormy morning.

This pet welcoming facility actually has a grassy "walking" area behind the building and supplies bags for clean-up and a bin for disposal.

I am sure I am forgetting to mention other positive aspects of this stay but maybe the most important is the sense of "yes" in the staff rather than "no - we don't do/have that". Every staff person including we encountered smiled, greeted us and asked how they could help.

I am most impressed and will gladly stay in this "Inn" in the future. In fact, we are planning a weekend in the spring wherein we will simply go and stay and wander about Bellingham. A real treat!

• Liked — Staff warm friendly and compentent
  • Disliked — some banging noises and loud voices around 0230 or so maybe delivery of supplies or??
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bellingham? Share your experiences!