“Great value for money” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Bellingham
Shawnigan Lake, Canada
“Great value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The HIE at Bellingham has just the right balance for either a one night stay or a longer duration. As B&B owners we value polite, friendly staff and this was the case on both our visits last week, once at the beginning of our trip and once at the end. The King beds are indeed a king measuring the full 78". The rooms are clean, modern and comfortable. The front desk even opened up the locked fridge just so that we could have milk with our tea and not cream. The 24 hour availability of fresh de-caf/ordinary coffee is wonderful for the tired traveller. This hotel also has the added benefit of offering it's guests free use of the Fitness Centre next door - such a lovely touch for us fitness fanatics! The pool though small was also clean and well maintained. Would recommend this hotel for anyone going over the border for some retail therapy!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms at the back, though we did sleep at the front on the second visit and there wasn...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HIEBellingham, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bellingham, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a greata review. As a B&B owner we greatly appreciate your time and your kind words.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Redmond, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I would surely stay there again and look forward to doing so. Best of all was the temperature of the water in the pool. Everything was clean as could be. The staff was friendly and responsive and made the experience great whenever there was need to interface with them. The one small drawback that has kept me from rating them with five stars was the lack of vegetarian or dairy options at breakfast. Even the eggs had meat in them and we were told it wasn't an option to get them without the meat. They did have an interesting pancake machine, which might be adequate for some, but I prefer a healthier breakfast. So, I made do with a bagel with cream cheese and some granola cereal. Certainly not the end of the world and almost doesn't deserve to be mentioned, but in the end I felt it was something that a five star rated establishment would have provided.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. Regarding our breakfast options, our eggs are on a rotation. One day will be the ham omelets, the next will be a cheese omelet, and the last option is just a scrambled egg. So, there are options. We are glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay.
yvonnechristi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed overnight for a shopping trip and first time at the Holiday Inn Express. Super friendly staff, wonderful complimentary breakfast and the rooms were nice and clean. I think this hotel lets you bring dogs for an extra fee and we were woken up in the middle of the night by a barking dog in the hallway and other loud people coming in late so I guess the walls are a little thin.
However, overall a good stay and I would stay there again absolutely!
And I love that they have recycling receptacles!

Room Tip: Try not to get a room by the elevator as I think the walls are thin and we could hear people opening...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We are glad that you enjoyed your shopping trip. We do indeed allow pets for an additional fee, however we apologize that you were disturbed by a pet. We do like to be notified if a pet is being disruptive so we can fix the situation. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We wanted a family getaway when the kids were off school, so decided to head to Bellingham for some shopping, sightseeing, and dining. Our "musts" for hotels are:
1) Queen size beds
2) Breakfast included
This hotel had both, plus an indoor pool, a plus for the kids.

The Good:
- Room was clean, comfortable, and had plenty of room
- Included breakfast had hot items (eggs, pancakes, cinnamon buns) Quality was OK; not that great. They did keep the dishes well stocked.
- Location was great - very convenient, yet far enough off the road that traffic noise wasn't a concern.

The Bad:
- Beds hard as rocks
- Heating noisy
- Slamming doors at all hours, starting at 5am. This is more a reflection on the rude guests than the hotel, but it was still very irritating.

Summary:
Overall, we were happy. As a Holiday Inn, it's a bit more money than similar hotels in it's class, and I'm not at all sure it was worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for leaving us feedback on your stay, we like to hear all thoughts on stays, so we greatly appreciate your input.
Graham, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed several days during business trip. Beds Excellent and the food was more than acceptable. Staff is accomodating and friendly. Location is convenient to most of Bellingham. Easy to recommend for a family on a budget.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HIEBellingham, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bellingham, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
We appreciate greatly that you took the time to leave us such a great review.
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our family had an emergency and needed immediate shelter, five of us, one being a paraplegic who had just had surgery. The Holiday Inn have real wheelchair accessible rooms (many advertise they do, and then there's a bathtub in the bathroom), with a shower with no difficult edge to navigate. The rooms are very clean, and the staff are exceptional. Everybody from the front office staff, housekeeping and everyone we encountered, couldn't have been more helpful, welcoming, kind and understanding. We had more than an average guest's needs and they were all met and then some. It's been a vey difficult time for our family and we couldn't have asked for a better hotel experience. They also serve an excellent breakfast which comes with your room, with the best crispy bacon and cinnamon rolls! I have stayed in more expensive hotels and not had nearly such a good experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a heartfelt review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay so much!
Renton, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I purchased my room thru Priceline and upon checking in was told they were completely sold out and only had one smoking room left. I told them I have asthma and that wasn't going to work and I would need to cancel my reservation. I was then told they had another room left that was also smoking, but this one had been sanitized. I was asked to provide my cc for incidentals, which is a common practice. When I checked out I had no charges and 2 weeks later I find I was charged $95 for a room that had already been paid for in full thru Priceline. When I questioned the hotel, they were unable to find any charges to my card. I would NEVER stay in this hotel again.....I didn't even know you could still have Smoking rooms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your stay. I am very sorry that you were not told that you were booked into a smoking room from priceline. I would like to speak to you more about the credit card charge, if you call the hotel at 360-671-4800 and ask for ext. 411 I will gladly do some further research for you.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bellingham? Share your experiences!