“Had a pretty good, but not great, lunch” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #98 of 331 Restaurants in Bellingham
Cuisines: Mexican
Bellingham
“Had a pretty good, but not great, lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

El Agave is a new restaurant that has taken over the old Denny's near WWU. The place still has a faint smell of Denny's, but that is soon overcome. The staff was extremely friendly and the food was good, but the luncheon portions were small and the selection limited. You can always order off of the regular menu if you want larger portions and are willing to pay a little more. Overall, it's a great spot for gatherings (the place was mostly empty) and a cheap lunch. Good food, but I wouldn't go out of my way just to eat there.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bellingham, Washington
“Outstaning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is the best sit down mexican in Whatcom County. Service is tops, owner(s) are always there. They are a big hit and a badly needed place. We always drove to our favorite place in Burlington if we wanted the real deal. Still go there, just eat more mexican!! Their Chili Colorado is great, and I've even asked them to make a tostada with it. No problem! They also have a full bar. Olé!
I can't think of a dish I haven't enjoyed. We were there with a large party one evening a sat way too long after we ate and they continued to be gracious and welcoming. Still filling water glasses and not pressuring us to drink more which would have been too much. (We did see that there was no one left waiting for a table, fair is fair). If you like mexican even a little try it.... you'll like it!!
Oh, yeah and if you like "heat" ask for some fried jalapenos. Ay!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Denver, Colorado
“Great service and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We experienced really friendly and attentive service at El Agave.
The food was also delicious and fresh. This is the best mexican food we've found in Bellingham. We will be back on our next trip.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ironton, OH
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Previous TripAdvisor reviews pointed me to El Agave.

Immediately after walking in I felt welcome and just not another customer to laugh at behind my back which seems to happen at so many foreign-speaking restaurants anymore.

Food was fast, fresh, and delicious. The portions were generous and refills came quickly and often.

I wish I had found this place on the front side of my trip instead of the back, I would absolutely be a repeat customer!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Quesnel, Bc Canada
“Great Mexican Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We found this restaurant last Sept. when we were out geocaching on our trip to Bellingham. From reading the description on the geocaching site it said that the restaurant here had changed quite frequently and it was now empty. We were surprised to see that a Mexican restaurant had opened here so assumed that it was fairly new. It was around lunch time so we decided to go in and try it. We were very impressed by the quality of the food that was served and the fast, efficient service. So this year when we made out trip south of the border we had to go and see if El Agave was still there and were quite happy to find that it was. We went in for lunch again and were just as impressed as last year. My husband had the Menudo and I had the Enchiladas with Chocolate Mole sauce. We were first served the tortillas with salsa and a round of nice cold water. Then a short while later we were served our lunches. Great tasting food, large portions and very reasonable for the amount that you receive. Then we were even more impressed when our server brought us our bill but instead of the usual mints he brought a plate with two deep fried tortilla chips topped with whipped cream and drizzled with strawberry jelly and chocolate sauce. Very yummy. Would definitely eat here again and recommend to all of our travelling friends. Can't wait till our annual trip south of the border to eat here again next year.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere