“Awesome place for lunch, can' wait to try dinner.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ciao Thyme In The Kitchen

Ciao Thyme In The Kitchen
207 Unity Street, Bellingham, WA 98225 (Formerly Ciao Thyme)
360.733.1267
Dining options: Lunch
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Flora
Transit: We are just 2 blocks from the downtown transit station
Description: We plan to greet you with a warm smile and the aromas of delicious soups, sandwiches, and freshly baked treats. You will be tempted by sides like organic farro salad with roasted cauliflower, smoked shitake mushrooms and fennel soffritto; and roasted tomato soup with cardamom creme fraiche and croutons; and onion-rye rolls with roasted porchetta and kale-plum slaw; and warm chocolate chip cookies with vanilla salt. You place your order in the cafe and then find a seat in the dining room or outside under the umbrellas. You strike up a friendly conversation with the person next to you. When you leave, you feel nourished--body and soul recharged for the continuation of your day.The menu will change with the farm produce of the seasons, approximately every two weeks, and we always have some gluten-free options too. There is no pretense in this space, just high quality ingredients prepared with care and delivered with love. Folks come knowing they can trust that the food that is prepared here will be sourced responsibly. They know that by choosing Ciao Thyme On the Side, their dining dollars will go farther in this community to support local families, local farmers, and other small businesses in Bellingham--keeping our community thriving.
Bellingham, Washington
“Awesome place for lunch, can' wait to try dinner.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Just went to lunch at Ciao Thyme and it was very, very, good! The only drawback is the limited menu, but I understand fresh ingredients are harder to find this time of year so I look forward to going back when more fruits and veggies are in season. Today's version of a pulled pork sandwich was excellent, so many toppings you had to use a knife and fork for most of it. I understand the menu changes frequently so I look forward to trying many new things as this will be my new go-to place for lunch!

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Kirkland, Washington
“Very good food with a minor lapse but I'll be back ASAP”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I pass through Bellingham a dozen times a year and since being introduced to Ciao Thyme by a B' ham business colleague Ciao Thyme has become a regular stop. I have eaten excellent pizzas, wonderful salads, terrific soups and one rather small and overpriced cheese sandwich. I can forget the recent sandwich because the overall impression after multiple visits is one of real attention to quality ingredients that are well prepared. One reviewer mentioned the family seating and the fact that people ask how you like the food. Of course they ask, most everyone is enjoying his or her meal and is interested in sharing the experience with whomever is seated next to him. The Margarita cookie that I ate a couple of days ago was heavenly and I'll be back again as soon as possible.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bellingham, Washington
“A mystery. Ciao Thyme's Incognito Thanksgiving dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Ciao Thyme's Incognito dinners are fixe prix (fixed price) meals. You know the theme of the dinner, but until you actually sit down and are handed the menu the meal is a total mystery.

The Thanksgiving Incognito was $65 per person to be paid upon making the reservation. A $30 wine pairing with each course was an option. I made my reservation twenty days in advance and got the last seat.

Seating is done 'family style' at two long tables and two or three smaller tables, and by smaller I mean six to eight. The room is large with high ceilings and with 60 or so people all talking the din is overwhelming for intimate conversation. If you are looking for a quiet romantic dinner you would be well advised to try another venue. If you are out going or shy the venue is excellent. The out going people have to speak loud enough for their audience to hear and the shy ones can just sit back and listen. The seating near me was a mix of ethnicities, ages and professions which made for an interesting mix and lively conversation.

The meal was very, very good. The theme was of course Thanksgiving with the trimmings, but with a certain twist on all six courses.

The amuse bouche was smoked duck topped with cherry sauce on a small (quarter sized) pumpkin pancake. It was excellent. I loved using the pumpkin pancake as the 'plate' for the duck. A very nice change from a traditional cracker.

The salad was lightly tossed in a bleu cheese viniagrette mix of fresh and crispy with nuts and cranberries in the mixture. When I say crispy I mean like a potato chip crispy. Thin slices of sunchoke and parsnip so crispy that it crunched as you chewed all resting on a bed of kale.

The butter mike biscuits with chives were very good. My grandmother would have said they were a 'little' dry, but I found them just right. The subtle flavor of the chives were a nice touch. My neighbor raved about the pepper jam that came with them. I was wishing I had a 'doggie bag' for the date and bacon aioli that accompanied them. The mixture of sweet dates and the smoky bacon was a taste that make my mouth dance.

I don't know how they did it, but somehow they made Brussels sprouts even taste good. Instead of a traditional carb laden bread stuffing we were presented with Brussels sprouts sliced very thinly and placed in a squash. The humble Brussels sprout and the mundane empty canvas of a squash really came alive under their touch.

Of course the reason for the season of Thanksgiving is the turkey. It did not disappoint. an entire turkey leg was served to each two people. The turkey leg had been done in a confit of duck fat, olive oil and butter for eight hours. It was moist and flavorful. It fell off the bone at the lightest touch. It was the most moist turkey I have ever experienced. I am curious how it would have done with the traditionally dry breast to see how moist it would be, but I guess that is for me to find out later.

The whipped potatoes were like thick cream on your tongue. A great unctuous coating of goodness in your mouth. They were served with a very nice apple cider herb gravy that was a nice addition, but totally unnecessary. Most of the time the potatoes at Thanksgiving are just a vehicle to contain the gravy. These whipped potatoes would have stood well by themselves. The dish was best plated immediatley though and the starches in them did tend to solidify rather quickly and when you went back for seconds it was a lot more like poi than fluff. Very thick and very firm. Perhaps a more waxy potato would have kept the dish from doing this. Though I am certain a lower starched potato would not had that wonderful mouth feel.

I am not going to describe the desserts. By this time I and my table mates are thinking of going out for a walk and let this meal settle before dessert. We were stuffed. There were six or so desserts available in a buffet. Bread pudding with a caramel sauce, sweet potato pie, a chocolate pecan pie and an apple, pear pie. My favorite was the Pistachio and sage macaroon. It was like eating a sweet crunchy cloud. Everyone around me seemed to love their various desserts. My only complaint, I do wish they had served a cup of coffee to go with the dessert.

All in all I was very happy with them meal. There certainly was enough food. The flavors and techniques were inventive and spot on. Service was nearly invisible with plates arriving and disappearing like magic. I have had meals that I loved better, but the ones that come to mind cost in the neighborhood of $300 a seat and not $100. Ciao Thyme will most certainly see me again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bellingham, Washington
“THE BEST place to eat in Bellingham by far!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

If you are looking for a great place to eat in Bellingham THIS IS IT! They recently opened for lunch, and like everything they do it is fantastic. The menu changes regularly, and each creation is better than the last.

Do yourself a favor and take the time out of your day to ear here. You will not be disappointed!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ojai, California, United States
“Unique Amazing Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We moved away from Bham for a few years and somehow missed the opening of this amazing lunch venue in the arts district. Luckily a friend told us about it and we had our first gourmet meal there last week. This place must be experienced to be understood. I question anyone who would rate it less than an excellent overall dining experience. We plan to bring anyone new to town here to show off some of the best food this town has to offer.

• Visited April 2013