“Everything you could wish…except reading lights” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tree Frog Night Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bellingham
Tree Frog Night Inn
1727 Mt. Baker Highway, Bellingham, WA 98226   |
Ranked #2 of 15 Bellingham B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Maine
“Everything you could wish…except reading lights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We chose the Tree Frog Night Inn for a one-night visit to the Bellingham area between business in Seattle and visits with friends in the area. Its consistent 5-star ratings attracted us, although its richly oriental decor was in startling contrast to our spacious and modern digs at the Grand Hyatt in Seattle. We chose the location--six miles outside the Bellingham downtown(s)—to guarantee no train whistles in the night, which some reviewers of the larger hotels had mentioned.

As readers, we were frustrated by the lack of good reading lights in either living room or bedroom, but enjoyed the wine and the toasty little gas stove, the flat TV on the bedroom wall and the total lack of intrusion by the owners, who appeared only briefly when we arrived, gave helpful information, and left us to enjoy their woodsy setting.

Our (superb) continental breakfast was left in the refrigerator/laundry room between the two suites—the other was un-occupied—and we made an extra pot of coffee in the morning with the fresh-ground coffee and real cream, reading in the morning light until our time was up. The photos on the website give you a good idea of what to expect—our suite was the “Mediterranean”. I loved the hand-held shower head for easy washing of my hair, the incense matches, the big mirror with good lighting, the sumptuous tile work.

The only suggestion I might make is to make reading possible, and to clear some “free” space for visitors’ dop kits in the bathroom, and for luggage in the bedroom—stashing the array of silk throw pillows from the bed over-filled the trunk which provided our quilt and pillows, leaving only one trunk top on which to open a suitcase.

In warmer weather, we certainly would have used the hot tub in the back, and maybe sat on the porch to read, assuming no mosquitoes—the effort toward environmentally “sustainable” living definitely captured our interest and admiration.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
wide-world-traveler, Owner at Tree Frog Night Inn, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
We are so glad you stayed and enjoyed so many aspects of your visit and so sorry you did not find the various reading light options we provide for your reading pleasure.

Sometimes with a short overnight stay in this more ornate of the suites, it might be hard to spot the details. We too have yearned for better reading light in many venues we have visited, so we worked to provide good light options for our suites. There are wall fixtures just above either end of the bed that provide direct, unshaded downlight. These can be slide dimmed or very bright--and perhaps these were dimmed and you did not see the switch mechanism to make them bright.

We also provide goose-neck reading lamps in the closet for those who would prefer this type of reading lamp on their bedside table instead.

In the living area, in addition to the ceiling fixture and sconces, we provide a double bulb table lamp with very light shading by the arm chair, a gooseneck desk reading lamp and the additional gooseneck reading lamp options in the closets.

I am so sorry we did not know of your trouble, as we would been so very happy to help you find good light for your reading. We always invite our guests to let us know if there is anything at all that they need to make their stay more comfortable.

It also seems that you did not find the luggage rack that we provide by the couch in the living area or the large bath cupboard (in addition to the drawer) provided for stowing ditty bags and such. I am so sorry!

We hope you will consider returning again, and we will be sure to help you find these things to make your stay more comfortable. We would be very pleased to have you. Thank you for choosing our Inn for your stay. Warmly, Kara

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed in the Forest room for a week prior to my sister's wedding, and everything was wonderful. The location was perfect, a few minutes into Bellingham, but yet close to Mt. Baker for hikes and day trips as well. The room is very nicely decorated and comfortable, and the kitchenette proved very useful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
wide-world-traveler, Owner at Tree Frog Night Inn, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
We are so pleased you liked our new Forest Room and found it a good place to relax before such a big and busy occasion. We love to provide a calm green place to retreat for lovely guests such as you!
Pennsylvania, US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We couldn't have asked for a better stay in Bellingham. The Tree Frog Night Inn suites are beautiful designed and appointed. We had reserved both suites for our family so we had the entire guest house, with its full refrigerator and laundry facilities, to ourselves. The breakfast options are carefully selected and delicious. We had the Continental a couple days to get an early start to our day's activities. The breakfast was placed in the kitchen the night before so we could eat at any time. Each room had a small coffee maker with fresh ground, high quality coffee. The Inn's chickens laid fresh eggs for either hard-cooked eggs or as key ingredients in the fresh-made breakfast entrees. The hot tub is perfectly situated, just a short walk from the Suites, with gorgeous views of tall trees, and it's perfect for relaxation after a day hiking nearby Mt. Baker or kayaking the San Juan Islands. Kurt and Kara also provided great recommendations for local shopping and dining.

Green Features: Kara and Kurt have carefully thought about their offerings, including organic foods and toiletries, and such things as checking to see whether guests have used the jets in the Turkish Suite, so extra water to clean them is used if necessary but not wasted if not.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
wide-world-traveler, Owner at Tree Frog Night Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
We love having families like yours stay! It is such a pleasure for us. We love to share what we have with others who enjoy the serene majesty of these woods and the contributions of the artists who help us create the Inn. Of course, you are always most welcome. We look forward to it!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Perfect retreat before the start of another teaching year: Three nights in the Forest Room at Tree Frog Night Inn. Though it is described as "less luxurous" than the suites, the Forest Room is spacious, comfortable and beautiful. Big windows are filled, in two directions, with forest views. In a third direction, a door opens onto the patio. I enjoyed the breakfast one morning, very fine food with choices offered the day before, but I took advantage of the kitchenette other mornings in order to cherish my privacy and pick my breakfast time. The no-breakfast option sets this B & B apart from others, and results in a significant reduction in the nightly rate. We were in the area for hiking, with wonderful trails nearby in the Cascade Mountains as well as along the coast. You can also walk from Fairhaven to the Bellingham Saturday Market and back, about 4.4 miles RT, on a flat path that includes a fabulous boardwalk over the bay. Or you can walk from Fairhaven to Larrabee State Park on the Interurban Trail, which connects with other lovely trails in the Chuckanut hills. Allow plenty of time for Village Books in Fairhaven, and take advantage of the restaurant recommendations provided by your hosts at the inn. I can't think of a better place for reading and writing than in the Forest Room, where I somehow managed to get more words down on paper than during a week + writers' conference in July. I'll have to return, because I never made it into the sauna or hot tub and didn't find time to take advantage of the on-site spa services. I covet the hour-long massage. But for now, I plan to install a showerhead at home like the one in my room at the inn. It was like standing in a gentle rain, perfect for the forest setting. Thanks, Kurt and Kara.

Green Features: This inn is known for its commitment to sustainable practices.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased that you enjoyed the Forest Room and all the trees around it. We were so glad you stayed and very appreciative of your kind words. We welcome you back any time you are looking for another little retreat.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights in the Forest room and wish we could have stayed longer. Kara and Kurt were warm and welcoming as was everything about their property. They had thought of everything for the room, including fresh coffee beans and grinder, individual small cans of spices, candles and local wine. We could have made a home there for a week. We loved the attention to the earth and environment in all that the Inn offered.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
wide-world-traveler, Owner at Tree Frog Night Inn, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for your great review! We are so pleased to share our love of our inn with other people as kind as you. We are so pleased that you found your room to be so homey. We enjoyed hosting both of you and we hope that you are able to return to your home away from home!
Bellingham, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Our stay in the Salish Suite was brief, but amazing. We couldn't believe the beauty that was surrounding us in the room, on the property, and at breakfast. Stunning artistry and attention to detail was present in everything we experienced. We just enjoyed looking at everything, relaxing in the space, and tasting the wonderful food and drink. We're recommending your place already! Mary and Dan Glaze

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We were so happy to host you both! We enjoyed your company and we are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It's always a pleasure to know that our inn is thought so highly of by wonderful people. Thank you for all your recommendations, and we hope to be able to host you again in the future.
Arlington, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I had one night available to have a childfree getaway. I looked all over the internet until I found the Tree Frog Night Inn here on Trip Advisor. I fell in love instantly! We lucked out and the one night we needed happened to just be open between 2 reservations. We had never been to a B&B but this sounded just my style and it was!

We enjoyed walking in the Whatcom Falls Park before we arrived. We got there shortly before dinner time. We took our juice and walked down the path to the fire pit to sit and look at the restaurant brochures. The chickens came over to "greet" us. After dinner we returned for a movie in our room and then headed down to the hot tub. It was peaceful and exciting to watch as the stars appeared before us.

I had a hard time sleeping because the bed was too hard for my liking. I found out at breakfast that they have a foam pad you can use if you need a softer bed. If I ever get to return I will be asking for that. So sweet how Kara watches for her guests' needs.

I enjoyed a bath in the jetted tub in our suite in the morning to help relax my muscles. Then we headed over to the house (which was closer than we had thought from pictures before we went) for breakfast. I have never had such a fancy breakfast in all my life not to mention tasty and healthful! We enjoyed German pancakes covered in fresh, organic berries from their garden. I wish I had taken pictures of the breakfast! We enjoyed pleasant conversation with the other guests and our hosts. Then they shared some happenings that would appeal to our specific tastes. Wow!

I really wish we could have stayed longer than 1 night and I hope to return in the future. I've been gushing to all my friends!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow-I am so pleased to hear what you have to say. It was wonderful having you come and stay with us, and I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed yourself. Next time you come back we will be sure to make the bed even more comfortable, but keep breakfast just as yummy! We hope you come back and visit us again!

Been to Tree Frog Night Inn? Share your experiences!