To start with, the staff is polite, helpful, and generally professional. The continental breakfast is a plus, but they stop it earlier than some hotels, at 9:30 on weekdays and 10 on weekends. For business travelers, this is fine, for vacationers, a bit early. Check-in went very smoothly.
Here's the cons:
1. The building was designed for a warmer climate. Each floor has rooms 'outside', with only an air-leaking swinging glass door between them and the internal hallways. This past weekend it was in the 20s, so the internal halls were quite cold. The laundry facilities are in the basement of a wing that is outside, so even though there is a short hallway to the laundry, it is open to the cold, with no heating. The morning I wanted to do laundry it was 18 degrees outside.
2. We stayed for 2 weeks. Our key cards to our rooms stopped working twice, each time after 3 days. I finally asked for different key cards, explaining what was happening. The desk clerk asked how long I was staying, set the key cards for that, and they have now worked fine ever since. Seems the other clerks were defaulting them to the average length of stay. Big hit on professionalism.
3. On the 9th day of our stay, in the evening, I tried to make a 1-800 call by dialing 9, which is required for any local call (including 911). I kept getting a busy tone. I called the front desk, and he had to adjust the settings on my phone, which then worked. This tells me that either nobody ever turned on my phone, or it got turned off after a few days (like the key cards). Again, big hit on professional service. What if I had needed to call 911? Ridiculous.
4. We're in the area visiting family. Frequently when we return to the hotel room around 8 or 9 pm, the heat is turned off in our room...on days when it is in the 20s or 30s outside. Again, this is not the way a professional hotel should operate. Housecleaning should know that we're still in the room and leave the heat setting where they found it.
5. Minor stains on carpet in room, spot where wallpaper is peeling in bathroom. Nothing really disturbing, but not what I expect in an award winning hotel.
So, while there are definitely good points about the hotel, the 'cons' of the building design and the lack of professional approach in dealing with long-term guests makes it an average or lower stay for me.
if traveling in cold weather, definitely ask for a room 'inside'...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
The Staff and I are very sorry to hear you had issues during your stay with us here in town. Thank you for bringing these items up, we will be sure to address each one with the staff. In the end, we will continue to strive for excellence for each and everyone of our guests and we wish you the best in your travels for the new year.
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.